Vegas favors the Pens again...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby The Current One on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:11 pm

So the Pens are once again the favorites in Vegas. In other words, they maintain their title as "paper champs".
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:41 pm

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby sil on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:25 pm

The Current One wrote:So the Pens are once again the favorites in Vegas. In other words, they maintain their title as "paper champs".


2009 beats paper.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,851
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:41 pm

sil wrote:
The Current One wrote:So the Pens are once again the favorites in Vegas. In other words, they maintain their title as "paper champs".


2009 beats paper.


BUTT TAYS AND CAIN HAVES A DIENISSTY IN SHAKAGOES!!!!!!!
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,201
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby pcmforless on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:38 pm

The Current One wrote:So the Pens are once again the favorites in Vegas. In other words, they maintain their title as "paper champs".


CRAP
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:24 am

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby TKovacs2 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:50 pm

The Current One wrote:So the Pens are once again the favorites in Vegas. In other words, they maintain their title as "paper champs".


If only they hung banners for being paper champions...
TKovacs2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:36 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Favorites lol
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby offsides on Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:59 pm

Favorites to choke again?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,422
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Man Cave in Washington, PA

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:00 pm

offsides wrote:Favorites to choke again?

:thumb: maybe Fleury or Vokoun will have a magic force field this time
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,127
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:16 pm

They will always be (close to) favorites with a healthy Crosby and Malkin. 13-2 odds versus the field still isn't that great.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,191
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby rgj on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:09 pm

Yawn.
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,002
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:11 am

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:32 pm

Meh, means nothing more than people bet more in general on us. All this really shows is that Vegas cleans up every year on people betting on the Pens.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,057
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:06 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:They will always be (close to) favorites with a healthy Crosby and Malkin. 13-2 odds versus the field still isn't that great.

This. Vegas says they have a 13% chance of winning. That means they have an 87% chance of not winning. Not winning is probable; it is not choking. Yet, so many people read "favorites" and interpret it as "the Penguins should win." That's not the case at all.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,024
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby John-E on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:29 pm

TheHammer24 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:They will always be (close to) favorites with a healthy Crosby and Malkin. 13-2 odds versus the field still isn't that great.

This. Vegas says they have a 13% chance of winning. That means they have an 87% chance of not winning. Not winning is probable; it is not choking. Yet, so many people read "favorites" and interpret it as "the Penguins should win." That's not the case at all.


Hee hee, "87"...
John-E
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby KG on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:54 pm

KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,971
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby 71Aj66ax87 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:55 pm

You know,I really wish Vegas would stop doing this.
71Aj66ax87
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,362
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:56 am
Location: A parallel universe called New Pittsburgh

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:05 pm

13 to 2 (6.5 to 1) is about right I think. Given 7 chances, I expect the pens to win the cup once.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 658
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:32 pm
Location: Z's Old House

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:28 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:13 to 2 (6.5 to 1) is about right I think. Given 7 chances, I expect the pens to win the cup once.

I agree. Yet, when the Pens are given one chance and fail many will call for the coach's head and want an entire new team.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,024
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby Rocco on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:49 pm

They're the Florida State of hockey.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 35,366
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby Scott on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:36 pm

They must know Bylsma will be fired at some point before the 13-14 playoffs.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,920
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 am
Location: The Quick Stop roof playing hockey

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:05 am

TheHammer24 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:They will always be (close to) favorites with a healthy Crosby and Malkin. 13-2 odds versus the field still isn't that great.

This. Vegas says they have a 13% chance of winning. That means they have an 87% chance of not winning. Not winning is probable; it is not choking. Yet, so many people read "favorites" and interpret it as "the Penguins should win." That's not the case at all.


The team thats favored "should" win. Thats what being favorite is.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,559
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby TheHammer24 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:They will always be (close to) favorites with a healthy Crosby and Malkin. 13-2 odds versus the field still isn't that great.

This. Vegas says they have a 13% chance of winning. That means they have an 87% chance of not winning. Not winning is probable; it is not choking. Yet, so many people read "favorites" and interpret it as "the Penguins should win." That's not the case at all.


The team thats favored "should" win. Thats what being favorite is.

That point exposes an elementary misunderstanding of probability, then. You are among the "so many people" I just referenced.

The guy that buys 100,000 Power Ball tickets has the best chance of winning. He's favored in Las Vegas terms. Should he win? Of course not. "Should" expresses "what is probable or expected." The lottery ticket buyer has far less than a 1% chance of winning. The Penguins have a 13% chance of winning. Neither is probable or expected.

Sometimes your overtly reflexive contrarianism makes you look silly.
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,024
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:They will always be (close to) favorites with a healthy Crosby and Malkin. 13-2 odds versus the field still isn't that great.

This. Vegas says they have a 13% chance of winning. That means they have an 87% chance of not winning. Not winning is probable; it is not choking. Yet, so many people read "favorites" and interpret it as "the Penguins should win." That's not the case at all.


The team thats favored "should" win. Thats what being favorite is.


You take the Pens and I'll take "The Field". Straight up.
Are you "up" for that bet?
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:08 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
TheHammer24 wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:They will always be (close to) favorites with a healthy Crosby and Malkin. 13-2 odds versus the field still isn't that great.

This. Vegas says they have a 13% chance of winning. That means they have an 87% chance of not winning. Not winning is probable; it is not choking. Yet, so many people read "favorites" and interpret it as "the Penguins should win." That's not the case at all.


The team thats favored "should" win. Thats what being favorite is.


You take the Pens and I'll take "The Field". Straight up.
Are you "up" for that bet?


No. My heart's been ripped out, stomped on, and broken enough for the time being. :evil:

Time to fire Bylsma and replace him with a real coach.

At least the Bruin goons didn't win the Stanley Cup. :fist:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Vegas favors the Pens again...

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:13 pm

Yeah that doesn't make...any sense. If you have to bet on one team, then you choose Pittsburgh--but your buddy who put money on Chicago and Boston has a much better chance at making his money back than you do.

Spoiler:
To reiterate, the problem isn't the fact that they didn't win the Cup--it's that they got swept--which, realistically, had less than a 6.25% chance of happening even if the line was even (it wasn't)--and the fact it came to fruition can't really be deemed a statistical anomaly. But that's old news.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,191
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

e-mail