Trading Dupuis

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Trading Dupuis

Postby pens_CT on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:38 pm

So with the NHL Draft happening this weekend if Shero isn't able to re-sign Dupuis to an extension by Sunday does he trade his rights in hopes of getting a draft pick, or does he hold tight hoping he can get an agreement just before or after the start of free agency?
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Trading Dupuis

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:42 pm

I would say that RS wil have had ample time to sort out the Letang, Cooke and Dupuis situations.
So if Dupuis is leaving.....sure, see if you can squeeze a pick out of the situation.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:42 pm

nonononono we are not trading him. (hangs onto Dupuis' leg)
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:44 pm

Sarcastic wrote:nonononono we are not trading him. (hangs onto Dupuis' leg)

:lol: Yea, you right!

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SoCalPenguin on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:13 pm

I hope we do. I like Duper and he has a good work ethic but he is going to get overpaid and if he comes back DB will use it as an excuse to keep Beau off the Crosby line. Just get a pick for his negotiating rights and let him go.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:26 pm

His rights aren't worth much if we can't get him to sign...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Why? I'm sure Shero has a number in mind--if PD's agent isn't willing to come down from his market value, I'm sure we could find a team willing to give him the money he wants...but I agree his value still probably still wouldn't be much...I'm sure there are teams that believe he is a product of Crosby (despite evidence to the contrary). Maybe that will help us out.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SoCalPenguin on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:55 pm

Give me a 5th rounder and a root beer and I'm good.
SoCalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:21 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Why? I'm sure Shero has a number in mind--if PD's agent isn't willing to come down from his market value, I'm sure we could find a team willing to give him the money he wants...but I agree his value still probably still wouldn't be much...I'm sure there are teams that believe he is a product of Crosby (despite evidence to the contrary). Maybe that will help us out.

I mean, it's not impossible. But, despite a recent upswing, most UFA rights aren't worth anything. Especially in this condensed time frame. The Penguins will likely take it down to the buzzer trying to negotiate a deal with him. You're talking about dealing him in the next 72 hours and then someone has to be willing to pay over market for him...it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to pony up an asset for something like that...not in this timeframe, not now...

Again, it's not impossible, but his rights have basically no value - like most UFAs...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:05 am

Dupuis re-signing is top priority among F!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:10 am

It would be hilarious if he traded Dupuis, kept Iginla, and Sid found no chemistry with him and that whole line would be a flop next season. I say don't mess with what works (except for the Bruins series but not much worked there). I'd probably rather trade Kunitz anyway. And Fleury.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:28 am

If the Pens can't sign Dupuis...

Sadness...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:28 am

:idea: Okay. Dupuis is under contract to the Pens for 4+ more days. Pens are under the '12-'13 cap by $3.4 mil and change. Just give him a retroactive $3.4 mil bonus and sign him to a reasonable but cap friendly contract for 3 or 4 more years. Dupuis problem solved. Now I'm just spitballing here and don't know if this is legal or ethical. It may even be opening a can of worms. Just throwing this ot there. :pop:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:33 am

Not at all legal, sir.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby CERV96 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:39 am

Sarcastic wrote:It would be hilarious if he traded Dupuis, kept Iginla, and Sid found no chemistry with him and that whole line would be a flop next season. I say don't mess with what works (except for the Bruins series but not much worked there). I'd probably rather trade Kunitz anyway. And Fleury.

Iginla and Crosby did pretty good winning a gold medal together but that was 4 years ago. Speed goes away with any player. I am guessing Dupuis wheels go within the 2nd or 3rd year of his contract. This is already happening with Iginla. You will be looking at probably a 4 mill cap hit near the end of a contract with 1 or 2 slower players. Is that worth the risk? That's the question.

I am not making a case for either player just stating the fact of having a guy on your payroll with a 4 million cap hit in the ending years of a players career that could do the same 3rd or 4th line duity/PK and have a lower cap hit.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:42 am

I don't think you can get much for Dupuis when he'll be available for nothing in a couple weeks. Also,

if he comes back DB will use it as an excuse to keep Beau off the Crosby line.

wtf?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:51 am

Not even worth discussing since it would be a 7 rounder at best. Same as what we paid for Vokouns rights.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:04 am

no name wrote:Not even worth discussing since it would be a 7 rounder at best. Same as what we paid for Vokouns rights.

Right. And I think we were given the right to talk to his agent before we even acquired him if I recall. The 7th was a "thanks for the invite" I think...like tipping for a free haircut...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:27 am

CERV96 wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:It would be hilarious if he traded Dupuis, kept Iginla, and Sid found no chemistry with him and that whole line would be a flop next season. I say don't mess with what works (except for the Bruins series but not much worked there). I'd probably rather trade Kunitz anyway. And Fleury.

Iginla and Crosby did pretty good winning a gold medal together but that was 4 years ago. Speed goes away with any player.

Does anyone else remember there being problems throughout the tourney on "how to get that line going?"

Sure they tore up against Norway in that 8-0 win (same team who lost to USA 6-1)

You take out their first Norway game, and...

Crosby 6 GP 4 pts
Iggy 6 GP 4 pts

All of Crosby's assists came vs Norway.

I know how it ended, but I think that's really clouding everyone's judgment of what really happened
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:30 am

Crosby did not have that great of a tournament (re: 2010 Olympics), was pretty quiet throughout. Faced a lot of tough competition. Wasn't bad by any stretch, but teams were able to slow him down.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:33 am

mikey287 wrote:Crosby did not have that great of a tournament (re: 2010 Olympics), was pretty quiet throughout. Faced a lot of tough competition. Wasn't bad by any stretch, but teams were able to slow him down.

I know, its just funny that's remembered now as the "great chemistry" with Crosby / Iggy throughout

Found some posts quickly from time period

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43895&p=1202188&hilit=crosby#p1202188

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43895&p=1202175&hilit=crosby#p1202175

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43893&p=1202069&hilit=2010+Olympics#p1202069

That was in quick 2 minute search, I'm sure there are many more. Just seems like a ton of revisionist history because of how the tourney ended
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:36 pm

IanMoran wrote:
CERV96 wrote:

Iginla and Crosby did pretty good winning a gold medal together but that was 4 years ago. Speed goes away with any player.

Does anyone else remember there being problems throughout the tourney on "how to get that line going?"

Yeah, I don't remember them having such good chemistry that they would dominate the ice. I remember Iggy saying he loved playing with Sid and was very complimentary in his comments. But that was about it. They were OK together. So there is a risk with Iggy. Dupuis is a much safer option, plus he's a more rounded player than Iggy at this point. He's one of the few guys in the league who can actually keep up with Sid in the skating dept., as well.

I don't have a problem with signing Dupuis to a longer contract as his speed won't be an issue for a few years, considering how fast he is now. And even then, he is so smart defensively, it won't affect him as much as some may think. I believe he'll be one of those players that still bring solid value to a team at 37.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Don't mess with what works --- keep Dupuis!!!
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:04 pm

Sarcastic wrote:nonononono we are not trading him. (hangs onto Dupuis' leg)
:thumb: :thumb:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:21 pm

I'd take a 7th round pick over nothing.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins