2013 NHL Draft Wish List

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

2013 NHL Draft Wish List

Postby Jesse on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:45 pm

As per usual, I highlight a few players that I'd love to see the Penguins take at 77 overall.

Doing this in the first round is a gamble, doing it for the third is flat out mental. It's tough to say if any of these guys will be around, suffice to say I am particularly fond of Spencer Martin.

I think this year made needing a young, internally groomed goaltender a must.

http://www.faceoff-factor.com/4draft-pr ... -wish-list
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: 2013 NHL Draft Wish List

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:08 am

First

edit - nice work as always Jesse
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby TKovacs2 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:12 am

Jesse wrote:As per usual, I highlight a few players that I'd love to see the Penguins take at 77 overall.

Doing this in the first round is a gamble, doing it for the third is flat out mental. It's tough to say if any of these guys will be around, suffice to say I am particularly fond of Spencer Martin.

Are you not a big fan of Matt Murray and/or Eric Hartzell?
TKovacs2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jesse on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:09 am

TKovacs2 wrote:
Jesse wrote:As per usual, I highlight a few players that I'd love to see the Penguins take at 77 overall.

Eric Hartzell, yes I am a fan of. Murray I am wishy-washy. I feel like Martin brings things to the table neither of them do.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:22 am

Jesse,

Thanks! I look forward to this thread every year!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:19 am

Hudson Fasching

..cmon, with a name like that, hes my horse.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PensHckyFan79 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:36 pm

didn't the pens take 2 goalies in last years draft? Although it doesn't hurt to draft more it only increases the odds that one will pan out.
PensHckyFan79
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:48 pm

Jesse wrote:
TKovacs2 wrote:

Eric Hartzell, yes I am a fan of. Murray I am wishy-washy. I feel like Martin brings things to the table neither of them do.

If I had to list these three guys on their NHL starter potential, I'd go Martin, Murray, Hartzell.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Can we trade Iginla for our 1st rounder back?
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MarioLives on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:04 pm

Does anyone else think not having significant draft picks is setting this team up for failure down the road? With the Pens track record of drafting players, having even less picks each year, can really hurt.

Am I off base?
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:13 pm

MarioLives wrote:Does anyone else think not having significant draft picks is setting this team up for failure down the road? With the Pens track record of drafting players, having even less picks each year, can really hurt.

Am I off base?

It's one year. It's not like Shero has made a habit of trading picks. The last time he moved this many picks was in 2008 and we won the Cup in 2009.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Unless guys like Zlobin, Uher, and Archibald really pan out our forward cupboard in WBS looks very barren...I think that could definitely hurt us. Doesn't look like we have many Kennedy,Talbot,Armstrong types in the system--which makes replacing Kennedy's 2 mil. much more difficult.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:19 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:Unless guys like Zlobin, Uher, and Archibald really pan out our forward cupboard in WBS looks very barren...I think that could definitely hurt us. Doesn't look like we have many Kennedy,Talbot,Armstrong types in the system--which makes replacing Kennedy's 2 mil. much more difficult.

Bennett is the only top 6 caliber wing the Pens have drafted outside the top 5 since Malone in 1999 and before that Morozov and Hrdina in 1995. It's a combination of draft position being often in the late 20's and grabbing defensemen as of late.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:26 pm

DelPen wrote:
DontToewsMeBro wrote:Unless guys like Zlobin, Uher, and Archibald really pan out our forward cupboard in WBS looks very barren...I think that could definitely hurt us. Doesn't look like we have many Kennedy,Talbot,Armstrong types in the system--which makes replacing Kennedy's 2 mil. much more difficult.

Bennett is the only top 6 caliber wing the Pens have drafted outside the top 5 since Malone in 1999 and before that Morozov and Hrdina in 1995. It's a combination of draft position being often in the late 20's and grabbing defensemen as of late.

Armstrong played on the 1st line. Talbot on the 2nd. Even Christensen was in the top 6 at times. We don't even have a forward--not even a Chris Connor--that can replace Craig Adams, a 36 year old who basically needs a walker to skate around anymore. To me, that is alarming and a least a small cause for concern.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:28 pm

This thread is the first I've seen Hartzel mentioned since he signed. Am I the only one that was anticipating him replacing Fleury as the future goalie after the annual spring flop?
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby meow on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:38 pm

wondermoose wrote:This thread is the first I've seen Hartzel mentioned since he signed. Am I the only one that was anticipating him replacing Fleury as the future goalie after the annual spring flop?

He's not a NHL goalie, if you ask me. I think the contract was more of a bridge contract for him.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby largegarlic on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:55 pm

wondermoose wrote:This thread is the first I've seen Hartzel mentioned since he signed. Am I the only one that was anticipating him replacing Fleury as the future goalie after the annual spring flop?

A while back, I found and posted a link to an article by Mike Colligan theorizing that the Hartzell signing indicated a back-up plan to cut bait with Fleury if he imploded again (this was written before the playoffs) and go with a Vokoun/Hartzell combo for a year or two. He seemed to think the Pens thought Hartzell could at least be a competent back-up. I haven't seen Hartzell play, so I have no idea, but Colligan usually seems to have more well-grounded takes on things than other writers who frequently talk about the Pens.

That said, just based on cases I'm remembering off the top of my head, it doesn't seem like too many college UFAs make a big impact in the NHL. A fair number seem to stick as role players, but it seems unlikely to find a number 1 goalie through that route.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jimjom on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:22 pm

I wish they had an early first round pick!
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:28 pm

jimjom wrote:I wish they had an early first round pick!

All i read is how this is one of the deepest drafts in memory and we don't have a first round selection!!!!!!
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:34 pm

no name wrote:
jimjom wrote:I wish they had an early first round pick!

All i read is how this is one of the deepest drafts in memory and we don't have a first round selection!!!!!!

Maybe that'll change by Sunday -- I know it's bei g discussed in its own thread but I think if they sign Letang they're in trouble and will be overpaying once his next contract kicks in.

I think with the lack of picks they're really setting themselves up to fail in the future.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:04 am

MarioLives wrote:Does anyone else think not having significant draft picks is setting this team up for failure down the road? With the Pens track record of drafting players, having even less picks each year, can really hurt.

Am I off base?

We had two 1st rounders last year.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:29 pm

DelPen wrote:

Am I off base?

It's one year. It's not like Shero has made a habit of trading picks. The last time he moved this many picks was in 2008 and we won the Cup in 2009.

I don't see it as a long-term concern, but it could hurt us at the trage deadline next season.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins