Lecavalier?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby sil on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:41 pm

slappybrown wrote:
sil wrote:Just because something is legal or within the rules doesn't make it right, but that is also for each individual to view and decide on.

I don't understand, this isn't like abortion or the death penalty. Two parties got together -- the league and the union -- and negotiated the terms of how they will handle their private contracts. But fair enough, I know many people have the same view you do, so you're certainly not alone.


I don't like to analogize in extremes (because the sports world is a different animal), but what they hey...

I won't say what company it is (because they're nationwide and I don't want to offend anyone), but it has a strong presence in central PA. They have a common practice (though it certainly isn't absolute) where they hire young professionals in the field, give them a good living, promote them and work them through the company...and then, when said professional is in their early 50's (with kids in college, still working on mortgages, loans, etc....) they cut them off at their knees by laying them off and go hire more young (cheap) professionals to do the same job, and usually worse. The now unemployed pro in his/her early 50's now has to look for 15 or so years of income just to be able to retire at a reasonable age, and no one is willing to take on anyone near that salary/pay grade. Corporations/companies almost never used to opperate this way, but now it's becoming quite common. But hey, those companies have to look out for #1, eh?

Is it legal?...yep. Is it slimy and disgusting?...well, to me it is.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,823
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:43 pm

What you are describing is actually not legal.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,590
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby sil on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Kraftster wrote:What you are describing is actually not legal.


It's ilegal if they don't have a reason to "lay someone off/let someone go"...but nowadays a company can have reason simply because you checked your home e-mail once over that 30-year period...or didn't follow some rule in the dress-code that no one else follows either.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,823
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:47 pm

I guess that depends on the quality of the employee's lawyer :wink:
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,590
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby sil on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:48 pm

Kraftster wrote:I guess that depends on the quality of the employee's lawyer :wink:


Yeah, I agree. More proof to the fact that this stuff is on the rise...how many such lawsuits are on the rise.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,823
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby since1970 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:51 pm

....I would think if 80% of your layoffs are 50 and over you there might be a pattern there??
since1970
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:06 pm

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby sil on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:53 pm

since1970 wrote:....I would think if 80% of your layoffs are 50 and over you there might be a pattern there??


You would think so, wouldn't you.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,823
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby Kraftster on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:53 pm

But to your point, it is sort of a fundamental agree to disagree sort of thing. I don't really have a moral problem (setting aside the legal problem) with the practice that you mentioned if it is of an appreciable benefit to the company. One of those things where you either have that altruistic/empathy chip or you don't, I think.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,590
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:25 am
Location: Frolik

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby sil on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:55 pm

Kraftster wrote:But to your point, it is sort of a fundamental agree to disagree sort of thing. I don't really have a moral problem (setting aside the legal problem) with the practice that you mentioned if it is of an appreciable benefit to the company. One of those things where you either have that altruistic/empathy chip or you don't, I think.


Yep.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,823
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby GSdrums87 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:55 pm

The Flyers have signed 6 players to 61 years for $374.5 million since 2007. None of them will be playing for them next season.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,143
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby slappybrown on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:59 pm

sil wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
sil wrote:Just because something is legal or within the rules doesn't make it right, but that is also for each individual to view and decide on.

I don't understand, this isn't like abortion or the death penalty. Two parties got together -- the league and the union -- and negotiated the terms of how they will handle their private contracts. But fair enough, I know many people have the same view you do, so you're certainly not alone.


I don't like to analogize in extremes (because the sports world is a different animal), but what they hey...

I won't say what company it is (because they're nationwide and I don't want to offend anyone), but it has a strong presence in central PA. They have a common practice (though it certainly isn't absolute) where they hire young professionals in the field, give them a good living, promote them and work them through the company...and then, when said professional is in their early 50's (with kids in college, still working on mortgages, loans, etc....) they cut them off at their knees by laying them off and go hire more young (cheap) professionals to do the same job, and usually worse. The now unemployed pro in his/her early 50's now has to look for 15 or so years of income just to be able to retire at a reasonable age, and no one is willing to take on anyone near that salary/pay grade. Corporations/companies almost never used to opperate this way, but now it's becoming quite common. But hey, those companies have to look out for #1, eh?

Is it legal?...yep. Is it slimy and disgusting?...well, to me it is.

Well, obviously, I think this is a bad analogy for tens of reasons, but again, we just disagree here, and thats ok.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,237
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Noted Board Henchman

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby sil on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:18 pm

slappybrown wrote:
sil wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
sil wrote:Just because something is legal or within the rules doesn't make it right, but that is also for each individual to view and decide on.

I don't understand, this isn't like abortion or the death penalty. Two parties got together -- the league and the union -- and negotiated the terms of how they will handle their private contracts. But fair enough, I know many people have the same view you do, so you're certainly not alone.


I don't like to analogize in extremes (because the sports world is a different animal), but what they hey...

I won't say what company it is (because they're nationwide and I don't want to offend anyone), but it has a strong presence in central PA. They have a common practice (though it certainly isn't absolute) where they hire young professionals in the field, give them a good living, promote them and work them through the company...and then, when said professional is in their early 50's (with kids in college, still working on mortgages, loans, etc....) they cut them off at their knees by laying them off and go hire more young (cheap) professionals to do the same job, and usually worse. The now unemployed pro in his/her early 50's now has to look for 15 or so years of income just to be able to retire at a reasonable age, and no one is willing to take on anyone near that salary/pay grade. Corporations/companies almost never used to opperate this way, but now it's becoming quite common. But hey, those companies have to look out for #1, eh?

Is it legal?...yep. Is it slimy and disgusting?...well, to me it is.

Well, obviously, I think this is a bad analogy for tens of reasons, but again, we just disagree here, and thats ok.


It's a bad analogy if you directly compare them.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,823
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby sil on Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:18 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:The Flyers have signed 6 players to 61 years for $374.5 million since 2007. None of them will be playing for them next season.


Ha.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,823
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby PfanTN on Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:35 pm

johnnews wrote:Anyone else think his numbers the last few years would be even lower had he not had Stamkos hammering 20 PP goals a year?

I honestly wonder how much, if at all, the "steady decline" has to do with the defensive "trap" system Boucher played, and how Vinny may do in the up-tempo, forechecking, high-offensive-pressure system Laviolette (tries..sometimes fails, sometimes succeeds) to implement.
PfanTN
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby cma3585 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:21 pm

sil wrote:Just because something is legal or within the rules doesn't make it right, but that is also for each individual to view and decide on.


Cooke hit on Savard?
cma3585
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,439
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: Chippewa

Re: Lecavalier?

Postby neophool on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:55 pm

sil wrote:
slappybrown wrote:
sil wrote:Just because something is legal or within the rules doesn't make it right, but that is also for each individual to view and decide on.

I don't understand, this isn't like abortion or the death penalty. Two parties got together -- the league and the union -- and negotiated the terms of how they will handle their private contracts. But fair enough, I know many people have the same view you do, so you're certainly not alone.


I don't like to analogize in extremes (because the sports world is a different animal), but what they hey...

I won't say what company it is (because they're nationwide and I don't want to offend anyone), but it has a strong presence in central PA. They have a common practice (though it certainly isn't absolute) where they hire young professionals in the field, give them a good living, promote them and work them through the company...and then, when said professional is in their early 50's (with kids in college, still working on mortgages, loans, etc....) they cut them off at their knees by laying them off and go hire more young (cheap) professionals to do the same job, and usually worse. The now unemployed pro in his/her early 50's now has to look for 15 or so years of income just to be able to retire at a reasonable age, and no one is willing to take on anyone near that salary/pay grade. Corporations/companies almost never used to opperate this way, but now it's becoming quite common. But hey, those companies have to look out for #1, eh?

Is it legal?...yep. Is it slimy and disgusting?...well, to me it is.


I'd sure like to know who the company is. Not like many others don't practice the same scumbag "policies" but I'm curious.
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,349
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:36 am
Location: The Dumps

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dan H, puckeye and 12 guests

e-mail