Draft Day thread 2013

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Draft Day thread 2013

Postby meecrofilm on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:46 pm

sil wrote:
owtahear wrote:Yes.....but having guys who can score goals in that "dirty" area makes it tough to do when you are 5'9" and 160lbs.

Luckily these guys are drafted at 18. Hopefully a kid who's 5'-9" and 160 lbs turns into a man who's 5'-10" and 190 lbs.

I think everybody in Guentzel's family hit late growth spurts, so I'm not too too worried about him getting bigger, especially because it doesn't even look like he's hit puberty yet.

Definitely a fan of the Jarry pick.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:54 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
sil wrote:
owtahear wrote:Yes.....but having guys who can score goals in that "dirty" area makes it tough to do when you are 5'9" and 160lbs.

Luckily these guys are drafted at 18. Hopefully a kid who's 5'-9" and 160 lbs turns into a man who's 5'-10" and 190 lbs.

I think everybody in Guentzel's family hit late growth spurts, so I'm not too too worried about him getting bigger, especially because it doesn't even look like he's hit puberty yet.

I know nothoing about him...other than Shero's team being a fan of the pick because they gave up a 3rd just to move up 6 spots for him.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:57 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
sil wrote:

5'10 is a magical number to me for some reason. the minimum height in which you have a reasonable chance to be effective without it being a huge deal. He's not that much shorter than that. :pop: Hopefully he grows more.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:07 pm

showing my age, but sometimes a fire plug with hands is perfect~ a Dino Ciccarelli. Needs 40 lbs though.
8-)
Bob Errey, not the biggest guy around scored plenty of dirty goals from the net area.
You have to be comfortable at going to the net regardless of body type.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:24 pm

How many guys like that even make it to the college game letalone the pros? Anybody know the size difference between the avg. NHLer/college guy?
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:15 pm

Jesse wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:Here's what I hoped to hear about the Pens picks:

* Big body and good skater for his size
* Has offensive upside
* Can add weight to his frame
* Excellent skater

What I got was midgets with "good hockey sense" that scored in some pretty questionable leagues who are all off to college. I get that college affords us free years of development, but all of these guys need to at a minimum put on the Freshman 15.

I do like the idea of having 4 young goaltenders in the system introduced in the last few years. Like all the young D, we can always use them as trade pieces.

You have two options where the Penguins picked:

1. Do what they did.
2. Waste picks on big bodied guys with "upside" that cannot skate and will never play in the NHL.

Once they moved the 50th pick, the options from there were limited at best.

And yet big bodied guys end up playing in the NHL as FAs all the time. I agree that you have to pick "projects" down there, but the across the board swipe at smaller guys playing in questionable leagues is a bit shocking. The NHL is full of late bloomers in roles. The organization as a whole is filled with average size guys and they continue to draft the Nathan Moon types.

Heck, the best "upside" prospect we have signed as a forward in some time as a FA is even average size - Jason Megna.

We do not have a single big body targeted for a 3rd or 4th line role in the NHL - and we need them to push our bottom six while adding more size there.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BigMcK on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:23 pm

penny lane wrote:

showing my age, but sometimes a fire plug with hands is perfect~ a Dino Ciccarelli. Needs 40 lbs though.
8-)
Bob Errey, not the biggest guy around scored plenty of dirty goals from the net area.
You have to be comfortable at going to the net regardless of body type.

Tie Domi - 5'8" - 220lbs?
Theo Fleury - 5'7"? - 175lbs?
Ray Ferraro - 5'9"? - 180lbs?

All big in heart, passion and determination with long NHL careers.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:23 pm

I thought it was cool that Kings traded a pick to the Devils so they could draft Marty's son.

That being said, and I know 7th round picks don't usually amount to much, if he turns out to be like his dad, I'm going to hate the Kings forever.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:17 pm

Beveridge wrote:I thought it was cool that Kings traded a pick to the Devils so they could draft Marty's son.

That being said, and I know 7th round picks don't usually amount to much, if he turns out to be like his dad, I'm going to hate the Kings forever.

He won't. He won't ever play in the NHL.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins