Free agency

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Free agency

Postby pcm on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:08 pm

Froggy wrote:
MRandall25 wrote: Not really sure you could go wrong with either on the wing with Malkin and Neal.

recent history pretty much says the exact opposite. that was a major black hole for the ENTIRE duration of this season.

Yeah, the rotating door at LW was a huge factor for Malkin and Neal's subpar seasons. I really hope they find a permanent solution... like the one they already have.

Here's what I'd go with:

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Crosby-Bennett
Morrow-Sutter-Jeffrey
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Letang-Scuderi
Orpik-Martin
Despres-Dumoulin/Engelland

Trade Jokinen + Niskanen. Sign Morrow. Done.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:38 pm

pcm wrote:
Froggy wrote:
MRandall25 wrote: Not really sure you could go wrong with either on the wing with Malkin and Neal.

recent history pretty much says the exact opposite. that was a major black hole for the ENTIRE duration of this season.

Yeah, the rotating door at LW was a huge factor for Malkin and Neal's subpar seasons. I really hope they find a permanent solution... like the one they already have.

Here's what I'd go with:

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Crosby-Bennett
Morrow-Sutter-Jeffrey
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Letang-Scuderi
Orpik-Martin

Scuds will not play top minutes for this team, and Martin will not play 2nd pair minutes.

Anyone else think that Orpik is in play? I would think that a Martin/Letang top pair with Orpik/Scuderi would be pretty tough, but I would really like to see Despres be an everyday starter this year, and play with a useful linemate...
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:41 pm

What's the difference in even strength icetime between the first two defensive pairings? I'd bet it's not that big.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
pcm wrote:
Froggy wrote:

Here's what I'd go with:

Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Crosby-Bennett
Morrow-Sutter-Jeffrey
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Letang-Scuderi
Orpik-Martin

Scuds will not play top minutes for this team, and Martin will not play 2nd pair minutes.

Anyone else think that Orpik is in play? I would think that a Martin/Letang top pair with Orpik/Scuderi would be pretty tough, but I would really like to see Despres be an everyday starter this year, and play with a useful linemate...

Eaton was paired with Letang for a large part of the season, but he didn't play top pairing minutes. Letang and Martin will be used in all situations - 5V5, PK, PP. Scuds will only be 5V5 and PK. I would also expect to see Letang taking occasional shifts with the young guys - Despres, Dumoulin, Bortuzzo. Don't worry about Scuderi and Orpik's minutes. They will be managed.

I recall a tidbit a few weeks back about Shero reaching out to extend Orpik. I'm guessing that situation has changed with Scuderi in the fold. Brooksie will stay on for this, his final season under contract, and then be allowed to walk.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby taz71 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:05 pm

I haven't seen anything from Orpiks play to suggest he will be told to walk. Among our prospects Martin would probably be easier to replace with say Despres.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby taz71 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:13 pm

What would be the consensus on a Morrow salary? Seems we would want a 1 year deal doubt he would go for that
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:16 pm

taz71 wrote:I haven't seen anything from Orpiks play to suggest he will be told to walk. Among our prospects Martin would probably be easier to replace with say Despres.

Letting Orpik play out his deal vs. being shown the door are two different things. That said, GMRS is known for unloading a diminishing asset rather than exhausting it, so I think an Orpik trade that brought back a pick and a prospect that could compete for 4th line minutes would make sense.

Not sure why Martin's name continues to pop up. He is not going anywhere.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:19 pm

If Orpik is willing to stay at a modest discount, Shero wouldn't cast him off.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby slappybrown on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:26 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:
Eaton was paired with Letang for a large part of the season, but he didn't play top pairing minutes. Letang and Martin will be used in all situations - 5V5, PK, PP. Scuds will only be 5V5 and PK. I would also expect to see Letang taking occasional shifts with the young guys - Despres, Dumoulin, Bortuzzo. Don't worry about Scuderi and Orpik's minutes. They will be managed.

I recall a tidbit a few weeks back about Shero reaching out to extend Orpik. I'm guessing that situation has changed with Scuderi in the fold. Brooksie will stay on for this, his final season under contract, and then be allowed to walk.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm? ... =timeOnIce

At 5v5, Martin/Orpik/Letang were in one tranche at ~19 minutes, Niskanen in between ~17 minutes, then Eaton/Murray in the next tier at ~16 minutes per.

Were Niskanen to stay, I have the sinking feeling that we are going to be complaining about Despres TOI by game 10.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:28 pm

At least there is a normal length camp and preseason games for statements to be made. Having only 48 games with basically no warm up time sucked.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby taz71 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Interesting. We should be thankful we have such a supportive ownership group.

I know the will mostly play in the AHL. But don't you think playoff experience there will translate into some valuable experience developmentally.

NHL depth does not come cheap. Capgeek keeps a list of largest AHL salaries for players on two-way contracts and three players the Penguins signed last week — Andrew Ebbett, Nick Drazenovic and Chris Conner — are near the top.

Depth is expensive 7/8 http://dlvr.it/3dC2yL
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Assuming no transactions, there seems to be maybe enough cap space left to sign either Jeffrey or Bortuzzo, but not both.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby taz71 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Shero said there will be changes before the season starts ... book it danno
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Boogeyman on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:25 pm

I don't want to say I feel bad for millionaires, but I do sympathize for guys like Morrow who would have been signed at 2.5 mil for 3 years during the first day of any other free agency year. With the cap going down, it has really screwed guys like that over because they are looked at more as luxuries than necessities. Except if your the Pens and your soft as ****.

Role players for the most part are seeing tough times, especially vets. Teams would rather take the chance that a young guy can come in and provide 3/4 the effectiveness, but dirt cheap.

Which begs the question, what does Craig Adams do, outside of distinct PK skills (which can be taught to anyone) that Joe Vitale cannot do?
Boogeyman
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:40 pm

Boogeyman wrote:Which begs the question, what does Craig Adams do, outside of distinct PK skills (which can be taught to anyone) that Joe Vitale cannot do?

Probably not much. The problem is you don't have three Joe Vitales.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby taz71 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Morrow really is a great fit for the PENS.

I wouldn't feel bad for him if he waits it out till nisky is traded and signs below value to win a cup.

He is exactly what we need ... if he would stay at a big discount he would become a cult hero.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:58 pm

For lack of a better option, I would be very happy to see him return.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:04 pm

taz71 wrote:Morrow really is a great fit for the PENS.

I wouldn't feel bad for him if he waits it out till nisky is traded and signs below value to win a cup.

He is exactly what we need ... if he would stay at a big discount he would become a cult hero.

If he takes a huge pay cut (say takes 1-1.5M) I really like what he brings to the 3rd line, PK, and eve PP (If DB ever uses him there). He can also fill in for spot duty on Malkin's LW and create space for him and Neal. Morrow was everything he was advertised to be when he came here. Played hard, left everything out there, even with his lack of foot speed he was frequently the first guy on the puck in the zone and always took the body. The guy played through a split effin knee cap for a team he for all intents and purposes owed nothing to. I for sure want him back at the right price.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby taz71 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:32 pm

One thing in our favor in terms of Morrow is on a 1 year contract he could be set up for a huge payday especially if we play him on the PP and with Malkin-Neal.

One other special mention he seemed to have great chemistry with Bennett if he ended up playing on the 3rd line.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby taz71 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:36 pm

Talbot and his 1.75 cap hit is looking pretty good right now
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:50 pm

taz71 wrote:Talbot and his 1.75 cap hit is looking pretty good right now

The Talbot that was playing uninspired hockey, floated, and all around just didn't give a crap didn't deserve that contract at the time. If he needed a big contract he didn't deserve from a cross state rival to jump start his game he's not a guy I'd want here.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby taz71 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:57 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:

The Talbot that was playing uninspired hockey, floated, and all around just didn't give a crap didn't deserve that contract at the time. If he needed a big contract he didn't deserve from a cross state rival to jump start his game he's not a guy I'd want here.

Rather have Morrow or Cleary for a 1 year deal but I would take him on third line at age 29 if flyers where willing to take on Nisky
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:57 pm

taz71 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

Rather have Morrow or Cleary for a 1 year deal but I would take him on third line at age 29 if flyers where willing to take on Nisky

To get 500k in cap space? Nah bro.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:00 pm

taz71 wrote:Morrow really is a great fit for the PENS.

Would love to have him instead of Jokinen.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby taz71 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Would be better to have him with Jokinen. Morrow-Jokinen-Bennett had some great chemistry. Would never be a regular line on this team but have a PP or PK ...
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins