Free agency

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Free agency

Postby Shyster on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:02 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Gaucho wrote:To be fair, Bort could probably earn a little more elsewhere. He even took a small paycut last offseason.

Based on what? To be fair he's a fringe (being generous) NHLer.

While he didn't get much ice time last season, Bort to me never looked out of place, and I don't recall him making any significant mistakes. He doesn't make much of an impression while on the ice, but for a defensive defenseman, that's generally a good thing because that type of player generally draws attention by through screwing up. I don't agree that he's a fringe player.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:05 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:06 pm

Shyster wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
Gaucho wrote:To be fair, Bort could probably earn a little more elsewhere. He even took a small paycut last offseason.

While he didn't get much ice time last season, Bort to me never looked out of place, and I don't recall him making any significant mistakes. He doesn't make much of an impression while on the ice, but for a defensive defenseman, that's generally a good thing because that type of player generally draws attention by through screwing up. I don't agree that he's a fringe player.

He was on his butt more than his skates. He has zero grounds for arbitration. If he wants out, tell Shero and he'll get you out. (See also Lovejoy and Strait)
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Well, he could still probably earn a little more elsewhere.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Shyster wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

I dont know. I guess i'll wait until he plays more than 21 NHL games. He seems to struggle with balance quite a bit. But, hey the way the bottom pair looks...why not.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:12 pm

I'm always leery of players who have a hard time with the most fundamental aspect of their chosen profession; in this case, the ability to stay up on their skates.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:17 pm

Bortuzzo, like strait, could probably get more and play more for a lesser team. Unlike strait, he tends to look wobbly on his skates. I don't think he'll ever amount to more than a solid #6, but it sucks to lose assets for nothing (he'll likely stay though).
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby eddiefromirwin on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:09 pm

I believe the Pens had interest in LaRose in the past, not sure if that is over and done with though.

Also, just because a guy like Armstrong isn't getting the offers he wants, doesn't mean he will agree to a veteran minimum contract with the Pens. Why sign for 800k in Pittsburgh when you can go to the KHL and make $2 or 3 mil tax free for a year with all living expenses paid for? $2 million in Russia with all of your expenses paid for and no tax is like getting paid almost $4 million here.[/quote]

Colby Armstrong isn't Russian. No everyone is willing to step off into the third world just for money.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:02 pm

Instead of picking up a guy (D'Agostino) who doesn't brings anything we don't already have, would rather spend an extra $1m and get a guy like Peter Mueller, who has size, decent speed, grit, and a scoring touch.

Seems like Shero's new model for forwards is small and speedy.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:07 pm

pcm wrote:Instead of picking up a guy (D'Agostino) who doesn't brings anything we don't already have, would rather spend an extra $1m and get a guy like Peter Mueller, who has size, decent speed, grit, and a scoring touch.

He also has a history with concussions, so I guess he fits right in there, too.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:33 pm

pcm wrote:Instead of picking up a guy (D'Agostino) who doesn't brings anything we don't already have, would rather spend an extra $1m and get a guy like Peter Mueller, who has size, decent speed, grit, and a scoring touch.

Who do we have like D'Agostini anywhere in this organization? And no for Mueller for the role he would need to play in the bottom 6.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Dickie Dunn on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:52 pm

Mueller would get a concussion while signing the paperwork.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:55 pm

DelPen wrote:

Who do we have like D'Agostini anywhere in this organization? And no for Mueller for the role he would need to play in the bottom 6.

See Jokinen, Jeffrey, Conner ..all NHL ready. And then in WBS we've got Megna, Drazenovic, and Farnham, just to name a few. We tried out Zach Boychuk last year, who ended up just wasting playing time for Bennett and Jeffrey.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Now that the Devils have mutually terminated Kovalchuk's contract...Kovalchuk anyone? :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The U on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Only seen him a handful of times but Mueller really impressed me vs the Pens last year. He can play. Can't stay healthy though...
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:27 pm

Mueller is streaky, but that's why he's not making $4m. He can definitely make his presence known on the ice, as he's big and he can score. I think he could be a pretty good player for us on the 3rd line, filling in on the top 6 when necessary. He's only ever played on crap teams.

He had 2 concussions. This was right before the NHL got serious about concussions. He played most of the season last year, and seems to be doing fine.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Zolnierczyk signed a two-way 1 yr deal for $550,000 today.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Steve Dave wrote:Zolnierczyk signed a two-way 1 yr deal for $550,000 today.

Part of Shero's plan to replace Kennedy with four players.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby KG on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:17 pm

Way to quiet out there on the free agent front and on this board...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:37 pm

The organization valued Bort over Strait. Strait got top 4 minutes with the Isles. I'd say Bort is more than a fringe NHL player.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:07 am

I don't understand what Shero is doing with the bottom 6. Is he trying to get a semi-scoring line 3? I'd be OK with it, as long as the 4th line was big and nasty.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:01 am

Sarcastic wrote:I don't understand what Shero is doing with the bottom 6. Is he trying to get a semi-scoring line 3? I'd be OK with it, as long as the 4th line was big and nasty.

Nobody does at the moment..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:18 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
Shyster wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:

He was on his butt more than his skates. He has zero grounds for arbitration. If he wants out, tell Shero and he'll get you out. (See also Lovejoy and Strait)

And Michalek
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby the wicked child on Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:12 am

Sarcastic wrote:I don't understand what Shero is doing with the bottom 6. Is he trying to get a semi-scoring line 3? I'd be OK with it, as long as the 4th line was big and nasty.

He has no cap space to work with... so not sure what you're expecting. We may well see a trade or two to clear up space, but those generally take time.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Well, he has around 6 million to play with technically. You can be 10% over during this time.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins