Free agency

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Free agency

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:23 pm

Buying out Glass would barely save any cap room and would waste buyout that might be put to better use next year. He makes like $600,000 over the minimum.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Buying out Glass would barely save any cap room and would waste buyout that might be put to better use next year. He makes like $600,000 over the minimum.

Wouldn't it save them $1.1Mill toward the cap as that is his salary and cap hit?

With how tight they are against the cap this year, they could use any relief they can get...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:27 pm

Defence21 wrote:Interesting tidbit at the end of Molinari's article:

The closest thing to a safe bet at this point is that there will be personnel moves over the next few days that few, if any, people saw coming.
"There are always some surprises," Shero said. "We'll see what [today] brings."

It sounds like Cooke is certain to be gone, but what's more intriguing is that there may be other unexpected moves. Does this include a trade, placing some someone on waivers, or maybe just signing a player or two no one expected? Time will tell...but if DM is right -- and he generally is -- we might have some excitement over the next few days.

mikey, any insight on DM's tidbit? Could the rumors of Neal being shopped be true? Fleury? Mr. Molinari how about a PM expounding on your statement, please?
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:31 pm

Beveridge wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I missed it earlier but this thing where players can talk to teams before free agency starts is new in the CBA? Seems to me that would take away a lot of the point of trading a guys rights away.

Is that permanent or just there this year since FA is starting 5 days late?

Late start

Pretty sure it's a new thing for the new CBA...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby taz71 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:33 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Buying out Glass would barely save any cap room and would waste buyout that might be put to better use next year. He makes like $600,000 over the minimum.

I agree with this. Bummer tho is that 1.1 mil is too much for a 4th liner.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:33 pm

Isn't it too late to buyout Glass? I thought there was some kind of deadline on that.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:35 pm

KG wrote:

Wouldn't it save them $1.1Mill toward the cap as that is his salary and cap hit?

With how tight they are against the cap this year, they could use any relief they can get...

They'd still have to replace him, though. Assuming Jeffrey and Bortuzzo signing for what their qualifying offers would be, they have a hair under $3.5 million to fill a couple forward spots. Buying out Glass would increase that to $4.6 million for three spots.

I bring up how much he makes over the minimum because people act like he's grossly overpaid. He's making a negligible amount over the minimum. Would people hate him as much if he made the minimum?

Imagine if Fleury and Martin have bad seasons. Having two buyouts to open up $10 million in cap space for two guys they wouldn't want gives them serious room to maneuver. Opening up Glass' $1 million now probably doesn't change anything they are planning to do this summer.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby taz71 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:35 pm

I have a feeling we don't use any compliance buyouts. The PENS have a reputation to uphold as a player destination. We treat all off our players well even in trades.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:37 pm

Pens15 wrote:Isn't it too late to buyout Glass? I thought there was some kind of deadline on that.

Think it was noon today...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:43 pm

I'd rather give Glass the chance to somewhat redeem hmself than buy him out at that price.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby taz71 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Interesting from LeBrun:

"Don’t expect a final decision from UFA blue-liner Rob Scuderi until Friday. Sources say Scuderi got a real nice offer from the Kings on Tuesday night but the veteran player wanted to see what was out there on the market with the 48-hour window for talking to other teams opening Wednesday. He has done that, hearing from several East Coast teams. Basically, if Scuderi does leave the Kings, he’s going to the East. It would not surprise me if Pittsburgh was among the several teams that called about Scuderi. The Pens know him well from his previous playing days in Pittsburgh."
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:02 pm

Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:03 pm

Scuderi would be one former Pen whose return I'd welcome.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:06 pm

Mmmmm...scud missile. I'd love for him to come back to babysit Letang.
Martin - Orpik
Letang - Scuderi
that shoudl cover a good 54-56 minutes, so who cares about the rest.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Scuderi signing would require some creative tinkering by Shero...cap space is not our ally this year...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:07 pm

How could they even afford Scuderi? Where does he even fit? Are you going to deny Despres minutes again?

The defense is set next year:

Letang/Despres
Orpik/Martin
Niskanan/Bortuzzo/Engellend

They need to spend whatever money they have left on some bottom-6 forwards.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:08 pm

Going back to the idea of buying out Glass. If I'm understanding the rule correctly, if a team tries to bury a big cap hit in the AHL now, they are on the hook for any cap hit amount over $900,000. Glass is above that threshold but barely. If they wanted to bury him in the AHL, they'd be responsible for $200,000 on their NHL cap, which is very little. With that in mind, buying out Glass would essentially only open up $200,000 in cap space beyond what they could currently keep open. There's just not much upside in doing that but there is potential downside if they end up in a situation where they'd want to use two buyouts next summer.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:10 pm

Crankshaft wrote:How could they even afford Scuderi? Where does he even fit? Are you going to deny Despres minutes again?

Letang/Despres
Orpik/Martin

They could trade Niskanen and open up $2 million+ in addition to what they have. They've got seven NHL D right now. I'd imagine if they signed Scuderi, brought back Murray, or anyone else they would move Niskanen's salary.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens_CT on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:10 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Scuderi would be one former Pen whose return I'd welcome.

He would be an expensive addition. Needless to say Niskanen would have to be moved for a pick in order to make this work.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:11 pm

Crankshaft wrote:How could they even afford Scuderi? Where does he even fit? Are you going to deny Despres minutes again?

Letang/Despres
Orpik/Martin

Niskanen, Bortuzzo, and Engelland are hardly untouchables.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Going back to the idea of buying out Glass. If I'm understanding the rule correctly, if a team tries to bury a big cap hit in the AHL now, they are on the hook for any cap hit amount over $900,000. Glass is above that threshold but barely. If they wanted to bury him in the AHL, they'd be responsible for $200,000 on their NHL cap, which is very little. With that in mind, buying out Glass would essentially only open up $200,000 in cap space beyond what they could currently keep open. There's just not much upside in doing that but there is potential downside if they end up in a situation where they'd want to use two buyouts next summer.

I don't even think they would have to buy out glass. I'm sure there is another team that would take him for a late round draft pick. Maybe he goes back to Winnipeg?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Henry Hank wrote:Going back to the idea of buying out Glass. If I'm understanding the rule correctly, if a team tries to bury a big cap hit in the AHL now, they are on the hook for any cap hit amount over $900,000. Glass is above that threshold but barely. If they wanted to bury him in the AHL, they'd be responsible for $200,000 on their NHL cap, which is very little. With that in mind, buying out Glass would essentially only open up $200,000 in cap space beyond what they could currently keep open. There's just not much upside in doing that but there is potential downside if they end up in a situation where they'd want to use two buyouts next summer.

If a team uses a compliance buy out they get to buy out the contract and it has no impact on the cap. Teams had two compliance buyouts they could have used this off season and have no cap implications.

The Leafs just bought out Grabovski and his contract. Same with the Flyers and Briere and Bryzgalov.

Moot point at this point as the compliance buyout period is over.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby taz71 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Pens15 wrote:Isn't it too late to buyout Glass? I thought there was some kind of deadline on that.

In 2013, the buyout period begins 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends and concludes on July 4 at 5 p.m.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Well they have 2 buyouts that they could use this offseason or next. HH is clearly aware of that given his last sentence, talking about not wasting a compliance buyout on glass for minimal gain when they may actually need it next offseason.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Henry Hank on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:18 pm

KG wrote:

If a team uses a compliance buy out they get to buy out the contract and it has no impact on the cap. Teams had two compliance buyouts they could have used this off season and have no cap implications.

The Leafs just bought out Grabovski and his contract. Same with the Flyers and Briere and Bryzgalov.

Moot point at this point as the compliance buyout period is over.

Yeah. They have two buyouts that can be used either this summer or next. Point is, they're going to pay Glass whether they buy him out, keep him in the NHL, or bury him in the AHL. If they really don't want him, they could buy him out or send him to the AHL. They'd essentially be using one of their two buyouts to clear $200,000 from their cap compared to just sending him down. I don't see how that's worth it.

I don't even think they would have to buy out glass. I'm sure there is another team that would take him for a late round draft pick. Maybe he goes back to Winnipeg?

And that's probably true too. I doubt the rest of the league thinks so little of Glass that nobody else would want him. What Pens fans think usually isn't reality. Kennedy was hated so much this season that a lot of people were starting to say he doesn't even belong in the NHL, yet San Jose gave them a 2nd round pick for him.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins