He's old. He's slow. His contract is too long.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

He's old. He's slow. His contract is too long.

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:07 pm

I keep hearing these things here about numerous Pens players lately. But hardly anyone mentions the size of the player's HEART. And the Pens have lots of guys with that in their lineup. Time for the LGPers to take that into consideration too.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: He's old. He's slow. His contract is too long.

Postby Crankshaft on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:14 pm

Are you Coach Jimmy McGinty, by chance?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 pm

While I am totally in your camp and am a big fan of the contacts, keep in mind the Pens just got swept while scoring 2 goals so... excuse the entire board when they don't agree.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby taz71 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:23 pm

What is said in this article makes a lot of sense.

General manager Shero nothing short of Penguins’ hero

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/429 ... z2YKIZq3Xj
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby taz71 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:26 pm

I just can't help but get the feeling we are gonna love these contracts next year when the cap goes up. Time will tell but if your gonna bet on it you might as well bet on what you know best.
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:28 pm

wondermoose wrote:While I am totally in your camp and am a big fan of the contacts, keep in mind the Pens just got swept while scoring 2 goals so... excuse the entire board when they don't agree.

Well, I wouldn't expect "the entire board" to agree. You can't please all of the people all of the time. :)

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:35 pm

The thread title is ambiguous. It's vague.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:45 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:The thread title is ambiguous. It's vague.

As Geraldie used to say:

What you see is what you get.

If you're under 40 or so, you probably don't know who Geraldine is. :wink:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:46 pm

Dude their hearts were SOOOOO big during those last few games of the season when they scored tw...yeah.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby taz71 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:48 pm

I agree with you Big Easy.

I was so upset about the Boston series ... it was an anomaly.

Hopefully the PENS prove us right
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:49 pm

Actually you have to take into consideration that the Bruins also had heart. Plus, the Pens were outcoached...duh.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:26 am

The Pens were first in the East in the regular season despite losing key players for long stretches. They won a number of games against desperate opponents even without Crosby and Malkin. Doesn't that take heart? Is there regular season heart and playoff season heart? Did they use too much heart in the regular season and didn't have enough heart left in the tank? Or maybe, just maybe, the "they lacked heart" statement is a load of crap?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:27 am

taz71 wrote:What is said in this article makes a lot of sense.

I don't know, it seems like a planted article. I mean I really do commend Ray for working out some favorable contracts and by no means do i think he ever really has blown it.

But just a year ago he was a genius for his contract limits, now signing two 34 year olds to fairly long extensions, signing Letang and signing Scuderi are "stuff legends are made of". I know I'm being picky but the article just seems over the top. I know there are some bad gm's but most are patient, have contingency plans and a lot have built good teams.

For whatever reason the article just annoyed me as if the pens head coach, owner and execs wouldn't gush no matter what.

Feel free to disagree but the timing is just odd. We are up against the cap and made some signings that at the very least can be discussed as to their positive impact, now the past 3 days made him a legend? Giving up a player who was playing hardball and signning another....I don't know, whatever.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:44 am

Rocco wrote:The Pens were first in the East in the regular season despite losing key players for long stretches. They won a number of games against desperate opponents even without Crosby and Malkin. Doesn't that take heart? Is there regular season heart and playoff season heart? Did they use too much heart in the regular season and didn't have enough heart left in the tank? Or maybe, just maybe, the "they lacked heart" statement is a load of crap?

How is your heart?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Antonio on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:08 am

Rocco wrote:The Pens were first in the East in the regular season despite losing key players for long stretches. They won a number of games against desperate opponents even without Crosby and Malkin. Doesn't that take heart? Is there regular season heart and playoff season heart? Did they use too much heart in the regular season and didn't have enough heart left in the tank? Or maybe, just maybe, the "they lacked heart" statement is a load of crap?

maybe it just proves that having heart doesn't mean anything. give me high quality skilled young players with lots in the tank rather than a bunch of old men with heart.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:19 am

Antonio wrote:

maybe it just proves that having heart doesn't mean anything. give me high quality skilled young players with lots in the tank rather than a bunch of old men with heart.

:thumb:

I think there is obviously a balance, but this would have to be the oldest team since the Red Wings in '08 to win the Stanley Cup. The problem is that our least experienced guy isn't on the ice--he's behind the bench.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby juicebox1 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:48 am

Antonio wrote:

sounds like you want to golf with the islanders.

the character of this team (or "heart" if you're a really big captain planet fan) is very much apparent. take a look at 2009 if you need an example. it's hilarious that some are calling a team "old" when they're led by a 26 yr old crosby and 27 yr old malkin. things are just getting started...and you can be that sid isn't happy that toews has 2.
juicebox1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby taz71 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:26 am

high quality skilled young player ... like letang, crosby, malkin or did you have some less skilled and younger in mind?
taz71
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:46 am

taz71 wrote:high quality skilled young player ... like letang, crosby, malkin or did you have some less skilled and younger in mind?
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby topshelf on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:48 am

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:

I don't know, it seems like a planted article. I mean I really do commend Ray for working out some favorable contracts and by no means do i think he ever really has blown it.

But just a year ago he was a genius for his contract limits, now signing two 34 year olds to fairly long extensions, signing Letang and signing Scuderi are "stuff legends are made of". I know I'm being picky but the article just seems over the top. I know there are some bad gm's but most are patient, have contingency plans and a lot have built good teams.

For whatever reason the article just annoyed me as if the pens head coach, owner and execs wouldn't gush no matter what.

Feel free to disagree but the timing is just odd. We are up against the cap and made some signings that at the very least can be discussed as to their positive impact, now the past 3 days made him a legend? Giving up a player who was playing hardball and signning another....I don't know, whatever.

I'd say he deserves to be called a legend for not paying some scrub $5 mil. like half of the other GM's in the league did.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:18 am

topshelf wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:

I'd say he deserves to be called a legend for not paying some scrub $5 mil. like half of the other GM's in the league did.

Well then I stand corrected. $5 million makes you an idiot but 3 contracts for 34-35 year olds for 4 more years each close to $4 million makes you a legend.

Also, to a post above why do people get so offended when the Pens are referred to as old? when they were the oldest team in the playoffs and 4 of 5 guys signed this summer are 34 or older?

I get that the core is young but a part of our problem is depth and speed and the ability to come in waves at the other team. Age has something to do with that, not to mention everyone's fear of these recent contracts/players age and ability in a few years.

In 3 years the core will be 30 and we will be surrounding them with a handful of 38 year olds. It's a valid concern.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bigkam on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:52 am

My biggest issue this off-season is simple. We are basically bringing back the same players who have underachieved the past two post-seasons, minus a player in Matt Cooke (among others, I know) who has been one of our best playoff warriors in the history of the franchise. I like the Scuderi signing, but not enough to think it makes all the difference. And I keep hearing about how we're going to love these contracts "when the cap goes up after next year", but excuse me for not being thrilled about throwing next year away waiting for these contracts to make sense. Will we win a lot of games next year? Probably. But is that going to matter after another disappointing exit in the playoffs? No, and we have learned that well the past two years.
bigkam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:56 am

bigkam wrote:My biggest issue this off-season is simple. We are basically bringing back the same players who have underachieved the past two post-seasons, minus a player in Matt Cooke (among others, I know) who has been one of our best playoff warriors in the history of the franchise. I like the Scuderi signing, but not enough to think it makes all the difference. And I keep hearing about how we're going to love these contracts "when the cap goes up after next year", but excuse me for not being thrilled about throwing next year away waiting for these contracts to make sense. Will we win a lot of games next year? Probably. But is that going to matter after another disappointing exit in the playoffs? No, and we have learned that well the past two years.

Yeah, and I'm not convinced $5 million per year in cap increases helps us all that much for 3-4 years anyways.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rocco on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:58 am

Antonio wrote:

It means something to have guys willing to battle through adversity. It just doesn't mean all that much when compared to having actual skill.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:41 pm

Alfredsson, Clowe, Clarkson, Iggy, Vinny. Ooops, my bad, I guess this was geared towards the Penguins.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins