Naming the new Penguins division (w/poll)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Rename the new Penguisn division

Atlantic Division
12%
Lemeiux Division
21%
Patrick Division
46%
Appalachian Mountain Division
2%
Sell the naming rights
15%
Other
4%

Total votes : 52

Re: Naming the new Penguins division (w/poll)

Postby netwolf on Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:07 pm

I don't care for the name either, but I think the decision to re-use Atlantic, and not have any of the teams in it from the old version, was exponentially more ridiculous.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Odd Man Rush on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:15 pm

I agree with that point and yet, for some bizarre reason, nobody seems to care about that aspect of this entire mess - which is surreal in and of itself. Nevermind the fact that of the teams in the Atlantic, only Florida and Boston are actually within close distance to the actual Atlantic Ocean, for which they are named. Given Florida's cylindrical shape, I suppose you could put Tampa on that list too but it is literally located on another major body of water: the Gulf of Mexico. How bizarre is that?

The rest of the teams in the Atlantic Division:
Toronto: Lake Ontario
Montreal: St. Lawrence Seaway/River
Ottawa: Ottawa River/Rideau River
Detroit: Lake Michigan
Buffalo: Lake Erie

None of those cities are anywhere near Atlantic anything. And when you compare that to the teams that comprise the Metropolitan the differences are ridiculous. Seriously, had someone come up with this on a message board, he/she would have been roundly dismissed as being an idiot.

I agree with those that said that the league should have reverted to the former divisional names of Adams, Patrick, Norris and Smythe. Alternatively, they could have gone with some combination of Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe and Orr. The Philadelphia fans would have gotten over hoisting a Lemieux Division banner and so would the Montreal Fans have forgiven the NHL for naming their division after the greatest defenseman who has ever lived - by a mile. Those controversies would have lasted a few weeks at most and then would be long forgotten.

That said, once the NHL decided to go with geographically based names, you can't do that for some but not for some of the others because that would be ridiculous. Fortunately for us, nobody does ridiculous quite like the NHL.

If I were confined to geography, I would have chosen to remain as is:

----------------------------------------------
EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic: New York, Brooklyn, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Washington, Carolina, Columbus, Pittsburgh

------

Northeast: Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, Tampa Bay, Florida

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central: Chicago, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Dallas, Colorado, St. Louis, Nashville

------

Pacific: San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Arizona, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary

------

That would have been very simple with only Tampa Bay and Florida blatantly mislabeled; and Columbus and Pittsburgh to a lesser extent. Everyone would have understood completely. They also could have gone with Atlantic, Central, Midwest and Pacific. What they chose was stupid. In the end it's not a huge deal - it's just a name. However, it was an absolutely stupid name.
Odd Man Rush
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:26 am

Oddly enough we will only have to put up with this until 2015 when possibly expansion changes these divisions around again. I also wouldn't doubt you might see relocation of a team or 2.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Odd Man Rush wrote:I agree with that point and yet, for some bizarre reason, nobody seems to care about that aspect of this entire mess - which is surreal in and of itself. Nevermind the fact that of the teams in the Atlantic, only Florida and Boston are actually within close distance to the actual Atlantic Ocean, for which they are named. Given Florida's cylindrical shape, I suppose you could put Tampa on that list too but it is literally located on another major body of water: the Gulf of Mexico. How bizarre is that?

The rest of the teams in the Atlantic Division:
Toronto: Lake Ontario
Montreal: St. Lawrence Seaway/River
Ottawa: Ottawa River/Rideau River
Detroit: Lake Michigan
Buffalo: Lake Erie

None of those cities are anywhere near Atlantic anything. And when you compare that to the teams that comprise the Metropolitan the differences are ridiculous. Seriously, had someone come up with this on a message board, he/she would have been roundly dismissed as being an idiot.

I agree with those that said that the league should have reverted to the former divisional names of Adams, Patrick, Norris and Smythe. Alternatively, they could have gone with some combination of Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe and Orr. The Philadelphia fans would have gotten over hoisting a Lemieux Division banner and so would the Montreal Fans have forgiven the NHL for naming their division after the greatest defenseman who has ever lived - by a mile. Those controversies would have lasted a few weeks at most and then would be long forgotten.

That said, once the NHL decided to go with geographically based names, you can't do that for some but not for some of the others because that would be ridiculous. Fortunately for us, nobody does ridiculous quite like the NHL.

If I were confined to geography, I would have chosen to remain as is:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic: New York, Brooklyn, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Washington, Carolina, Columbus, Pittsburgh

------

Northeast: Detroit, Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, Tampa Bay, Florida

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Central: Chicago, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Dallas, Colorado, St. Louis, Nashville

------

Pacific: San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, Arizona, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary

------

That would have been very simple with only Tampa Bay and Florida blatantly mislabeled; and Columbus and Pittsburgh to a lesser extent. Everyone would have understood completely. They also could have gone with Atlantic, Central, Midwest and Pacific. What they chose was stupid. In the end it's not a huge deal - it's just a name. However, it was an absolutely stupid name.

Bolded red above. Well if you look at it this way maybe "not so much." Both Tampa Bay & Florida are in the "Eastern" part of "North" America. Don't laugh. Or maybe yea, go ahead and laugh. :face: Just havin' some fun guys & gals. Summer's gettin' long. :wink:

One more thing. The Brooklyn Islanders. Just doesn't SOUND right, does it?!

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:03 am

The Islanders will remain the New York I.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:55 am

I kinda like Brooklyn Islanders.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:13 pm

Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:45 pm

So should have just put Pittsburgh and Columbus in the Northeast and put TB and FL in the Atlantic.

Boo hoo, no "rivalry" with NY teams and Philly. But more games vs Columbus, Detroit and Buffalo, all geographically closer than every team in the Metro except the Caps.

Pens were fine in the Northeast before, should have just kept the geography consistent again.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BuckintheLou on Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:29 pm

I'd go with; "Yo Money", "No Money", "Whoa Money", and "So Money". :wink:
Put the Pens in the "No Money" division since that's what they have left!
BuckintheLou
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:48 pm

BuckintheLou wrote:I'd go with; "Yo Money", "No Money", "Whoa Money", and "So Money". :wink:
Put the Pens in the "No Money" division since that's what they have left!

This money theme isn't a recent trend.

^I like the looks of the Brooklyn uniform.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins