Fleury to see a sports psychologist

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fleury to see a sports psychologist

Postby jimjom on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:05 am

Cooke may have had some issues that required medication, while MAF could just need some counseling. But what do I know, I'm not a doctor.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby topshelf on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:16 am

shmenguin wrote:
JS© wrote:
shmenguin wrote:It may be common place, but its the first time I've seen a puck daddy headline about a hockey player seeing a shrink.

Matt Cooke, 2011?

Ah yes. Forgot. Pretty different circumstances though.

The mental breakdowns are very different between the old Cooke and Fleury, but the root of the problem may be the same: not thinking clearly under pressure.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ILikeTurtles on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:31 am

I legitimately thought this was going to be a joke, until I saw the link to the trib. Hopefully this helps him keep his head out of his rear, because when Fleury is on he is up there with the best goalies in the league.
ILikeTurtles
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:35 am

ILikeTurtles wrote:I legitimately thought this was going to be a joke, until I saw the link to the trib. Hopefully this helps him keep his head out of his rear, because when Fleury is on he is up there with the best goalies in the league.

:thumb:

I wish he'd agreed to it last summer, but better late than never. I'm glad to see the organization exhausting their options before giving up on Fleury because, as you said, when he's on his game he's as good as anyone. Can you imagine if he were traded and all it took as a sports psychologist + new goalie coach to turn him into a perennial Vezina candidate? That'd be a giant :face: .
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Candleonwater on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:44 am

Hopefully this will help. My daughter's goal is to become a sports psychologist. She's a high level figure skater and knows that her biggest struggle has been the mental side of skating - she hopes to be able to help other athletes overcome this struggle. Fleury is one of her favorite players and all season she told me... he needs a sports psychologist. Glad he's finally going that route!
Candleonwater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:34 am

Yeah, lot of pressure. You gotta rise above it. You gotta harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness. Energy. Block. Bad. Feel the flow, Marc-Andre. Feel it. It’s circular. It’s like a carousel. You pay the quarter, you get on the horse. It goes up and down and around. Circular. Circle. With the music. The flow… all good things.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:35 am

You tell em, doctor.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Colonel on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:02 am

His head must be like mine when I played. If I gave up a bad goal...they would come right back down and score on me again within a minute....then I would scarred for the next few games....of coures I sucked anyway. Now my son has the mind for a goalie. He let's in a bad one....and it is gone the moment they drop the puck for the faceoff. Fleury needs that.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:04 pm

The Pens didn't make this public, the Trib, or more specifically, Starkey, did. And it didn't surprise me at all, as it had been obliquely mentioned by someone (I don't remember who/where) during Fleury's meltdown in the playoffs this year. The only things that surprises me is that Fleury did not seek one earlier in his career, and that Shero waited this long to make it a requirement rather than a mere suggestion to Fleury.

EDIT: It was also during the Islanders series that people were crediting the big improvement in Kyle Okposo's game to him seeing a sports psychologist.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby stopper40 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:29 pm

The Colonel wrote:His head must be like mine when I played. If I gave up a bad goal...they would come right back down and score on me again within a minute....then I would scarred for the next few games....of coures I sucked anyway. Now my son has the mind for a goalie. He let's in a bad one....and it is gone the moment they drop the puck for the faceoff. Fleury needs that.

I've coached ice hockey and field hockey goalies, I always preached to them, goals are an occupational hazard and they're going to happen you have to get over it quickly, your teammates need you to stop the next shot. Didn't always work especially with one of the field hocky goalies, she took giving up goals badly
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:55 pm

This would be some Sports Psychologist's master work if they are successful. They have been re-playing the Islander series on NHLN and he was an absolute mess. That Game 4 insurance goal by the Isles as the Pens were pressing for the equalizer was on of the most comical things I have ever seen. It was as if they pulled a guy off the street and asked him to play because the real goalie was stuck in traffic.

I hope it is just that simple.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jimjom on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:56 pm

There's an ad for a sports psych on the boards at Southpointe , I wonder if it's that guy.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Colonel on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:19 pm

stopper40 wrote:
The Colonel wrote:His head must be like mine when I played. If I gave up a bad goal...they would come right back down and score on me again within a minute....then I would scarred for the next few games....of coures I sucked anyway. Now my son has the mind for a goalie. He let's in a bad one....and it is gone the moment they drop the puck for the faceoff. Fleury needs that.

I've coached ice hockey and field hockey goalies, I always preached to them, goals are an occupational hazard and they're going to happen you have to get over it quickly, your teammates need you to stop the next shot. Didn't always work especially with one of the field hocky goalies, she took giving up goals badly

I wish I had a goalie coach when I grew up. My son works with Shane Clifford through the Arctic Foxes Hockey Organization. Glad he has the help, and is becoming what you preach!
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Brent Johnson said that Fleury shakes off a bad goal better than any goaltender he's ever seen, so I'm not sure that's quite the issue. It seems to be more of a "dealing with pressure" thing.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:30 pm

The three most important people in Marc Andre's professional life will be his new goalie coach, his psychologist, and his backup goalie. Back when Ty Conklin was his backup, I remember thinking what a positive influence he seemed to be on MAF. I may be talking out of my butt, but I don't think you can underestimate the effect of that support group around a goalie. I think Meloche leaving will make a huge difference as well, not too dissimilar to the effect on the team when MT was replaced by HCDB. Sometimes you just need a simple change in approach to get back on track.

Be the puck, Marc Andre.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Colonel on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:32 pm

Very good possibility. You figure how shakey he was when he first came into the NHL. Tons of pressure there too. Wonder why the pressure now though over the last two seasons in the playoffs? He was stellar in 09. You would think especially early on in the playoffs, that it would kind of be the "been there done that" kind of attitude, and the pressure would not be there at first. The mind of a goalie is something to behold.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:48 pm

The Colonel wrote:
stopper40 wrote:

I wish I had a goalie coach when I grew up. My son works with Shane Clifford through the Arctic Foxes Hockey Organization. Glad he has the help, and is becoming what you preach!

Shane's a very good coach. He teaches young kids better than older kids. He's one of the few goalies coaches I've been around that will even touch the mental side of the position with younger kids. He really is a class act.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Colonel on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:55 pm

Probably why my son has such a good mind...and why I never did. Shane is really good in my opinion. It helps my son has been in pads since he was 5, and is 13 now, so he has had time to grow, and Shane has helped. I dont see the Pens bringing back shane for their coach, (haha) but I really wonder who it could be? I know Barrasso is not in Carolina anymore with Irbe taking over, but I do t see that either. Fleury would start to chop at opposing players ankles in the crease. Haha
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:06 pm

The Colonel wrote:Probably why my son has such a good mind...and why I never did. Shane is really good in my opinion. It helps my son has been in pads since he was 5, and is 13 now, so he has had time to grow, and Shane has helped. I dont see the Pens bringing back shane for their coach, (haha) but I really wonder who it could be? I know Barrasso is not in Carolina anymore with Irbe taking over, but I do t see that either. Fleury would start to chop at opposing players ankles in the crease. Haha

Good lord, I hope it's not Barrasso.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:10 pm

I hope to see the death of Fleury's post-goal pirouette in the corners. Don't care what anyone says, including Johnny, but goals rip Fleury's brain to pieces. He's got to control his emotions after a goal.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:15 pm

The Colonel wrote:Very good possibility. You figure how shakey he was when he first came into the NHL. Tons of pressure there too. Wonder why the pressure now though over the last two seasons in the playoffs? He was stellar in 09. You would think especially early on in the playoffs, that it would kind of be the "been there done that" kind of attitude, and the pressure would not be there at first. The mind of a goalie is something to behold.

Higher expectations = more pressure
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Willie Kool wrote:
columbia wrote:Does anyone actually believe that a new goaltending coach can cure MAF's problems with concentration?
IMO, that it is the real issue and perhaps seeing this psychologist can help with that.....though I'm not counting on it.

MRandall25 wrote:What a goalie coach can do better, though, is teach him how to play angles.

I think this combination is exactly what is needed. The SP works him on his concentration / confidence and the GC works him on angles / positioning. If anything will help MAF, this is it.

There is a difference between concentration and confidence. I'm not sure concentration is his problem. Maybe it is, and if he has some ADHD, then Malka is right... give him some Adderall and call it a day. I think it's more likely that he has emotional (confidence) issues and for THAT he will need to regularly see a shrink for a while.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:01 pm

wondermoose wrote:I hope to see the death of Fleury's post-goal pirouette in the corners. Don't care what anyone says, including Johnny, but goals rip Fleury's brain to pieces. He's got to control his emotions after a goal.

Bad goals + Fluky goals are the ones that get to him. I also watch him closely after he goes for the corner skate.... MAF doesn't get too upset on PPlay or odd many breaks resulting in goals, its the ones he puts in off his butt that are the killers.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stopper40 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:02 pm

meow wrote:
The Colonel wrote:
stopper40 wrote:

Shane's a very good coach. He teaches young kids better than older kids. He's one of the few goalies coaches I've been around that will even touch the mental side of the position with younger kids. He really is a class act.

I think more coaches are. I know I did when I coached. You have to be so focused during a game even if you don't face many shots, you're still going to be physically and mentally drained because you have to stay so focused during the game.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:03 pm

The Colonel wrote:Very good possibility. You figure how shakey he was when he first came into the NHL. Tons of pressure there too. Wonder why the pressure now though over the last two seasons in the playoffs? He was stellar in 09. You would think especially early on in the playoffs, that it would kind of be the "been there done that" kind of attitude, and the pressure would not be there at first. The mind of a goalie is something to behold.

I think Talbot had something to do with his meltdown against the Flyers. Could have been chirping or whatever but Talbot knew how to get to him. A season or two earlier, Fleury had a horrible start to the season and I remember Talbot was a calming influence on him. I believe the Pens win that series if the offsides on Brierre is called in Game 1 and if Talbot had re-signed with the Pens rather the Flyers. (4 yrs/1.5 should have done it)
Last edited by Steve Dave on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins