Fleury to see a sports psychologist

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fleury to see a sports psychologist

Postby Penspal on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Tico Rick wrote:The Pens didn't make this public, the Trib, or more specifically, Starkey, did. And it didn't surprise me at all, as it had been obliquely mentioned by someone (I don't remember who/where) during Fleury's meltdown in the playoffs this year. The only things that surprises me is that Fleury did not seek one earlier in his career, and that Shero waited this long to make it a requirement rather than a mere suggestion to Fleury.

EDIT: It was also during the Islanders series that people were crediting the big improvement in Kyle Okposo's game to him seeing a sports psychologist.

Ray Shero made reference to MAF and a sports pyschologist at his year end presser. He was asked a lot of questions about staying with MAF and he did say MAF would be seeing a psychologist this summer (sort of implied he had been asked before too). So Starkey has just dug a little deeper on this. I see no problem with it.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby letsgoalpens on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:23 pm

It seems like he is thinking too much instead of reacting. When he lets in a goal he seems to not be able to rely on the skills he has to stop the next one. That Cizikas goal at the end of game four was a perfect example. He was stuck between five different moves to stop the puck and just fell into the net instead. He was thinking instead of reacting. He simply does not trust his own ability when the pressure mounts after letting in a bad goal.

Something was different after game 5 in the Detroit series that he is not able to do now. He was PHENOMENAL after game 5 in Detroit but has not been able to rebound like that since. It could be his preparation as well. He might be lulling himself into how great he is after a good regular season and then tries to find his legs after being punched in the face in the playoffs. Whatever it is, it seems all mental. No question he has the physical tools as he has shown before.
letsgoalpens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:23 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
The Colonel wrote:Probably why my son has such a good mind...and why I never did. Shane is really good in my opinion. It helps my son has been in pads since he was 5, and is 13 now, so he has had time to grow, and Shane has helped. I dont see the Pens bringing back shane for their coach, (haha) but I really wonder who it could be? I know Barrasso is not in Carolina anymore with Irbe taking over, but I do t see that either. Fleury would start to chop at opposing players ankles in the crease. Haha

Good lord, I hope it's not Barrasso.

Well, he is an American... :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby offsides on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:12 pm

This sounds like an episode of Necessary Roughness to me.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby scals37 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
The Colonel wrote:Probably why my son has such a good mind...and why I never did. Shane is really good in my opinion. It helps my son has been in pads since he was 5, and is 13 now, so he has had time to grow, and Shane has helped. I dont see the Pens bringing back shane for their coach, (haha) but I really wonder who it could be? I know Barrasso is not in Carolina anymore with Irbe taking over, but I do t see that either. Fleury would start to chop at opposing players ankles in the crease. Haha

Good lord, I hope it's not Barrasso.

Well, he is an American... :lol:

Isn't Barrasso coaching in Magnitogorsk?
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:21 pm

topshelf wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
columbia wrote:Well, I think the latter follows the former.
If the concentration doesn't properly exist, I'm not sure his angles matter.

Not exactly. He'll still have off games/stretches like anyone, but good coaching can make it so those stretches aren't like... well... what we saw in the last few playoffs.

With combination of a sports psychologist and a good goalie coach, we could see quite the rebound in Fleury.

If he had had one of these over the course of his career, he might not need both now.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:32 pm

Only in pittsburgh

Goal tender has amazing 2008, 2009 cup runs, helps team win 3rd cup, consistently wins 35 games for years

"get rid of him"

theissen?

"im mad we let him go"

LMAO.

maf will be back just fine with a new goalie coach.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:41 pm

Who's mad that theissen is gone?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:32 pm

Theissen?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby André on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:36 am

Good.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby André on Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:39 am

Nizzy wrote:Only in pittsburgh

Goal tender has amazing 2008, 2009 cup runs, helps team win 3rd cup, consistently wins 35 games for years

"get rid of him"

theissen?

"im mad we let him go"

LMAO.

maf will be back just fine with a new goalie coach.

He's had one amazing playoffs (08), one good (09) and then four straight horrendous apperances.

Comparing the fan base's patience with Fleury and Geno is interesting to say the least.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ExPatriatePen on Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:09 am

tfrizz wrote:
The Colonel wrote:His head must be like mine when I played. If I gave up a bad goal...they would come right back down and score on me again within a minute....then I would scarred for the next few games....of coures I sucked anyway. Now my son has the mind for a goalie. He let's in a bad one....and it is gone the moment they drop the puck for the faceoff. Fleury needs that.

Brent Johnson said that Fleury shakes off a bad goal better than any goaltender he's ever seen, so I'm not sure that's quite the issue. It seems to be more of a "dealing with pressure" thing.

I'm not sure BJ is the best judge of temperament.

Dude was as intense as any goalie I've seen since Tommy B or Ron Hextall.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:22 am

Tico Rick wrote:The Pens didn't make this public, the Trib, or more specifically, Starkey, did. And it didn't surprise me at all, as it had been obliquely mentioned by someone (I don't remember who/where) during Fleury's meltdown in the playoffs this year. The only things that surprises me is that Fleury did not seek one earlier in his career, and that Shero waited this long to make it a requirement rather than a mere suggestion to Fleury.

EDIT: It was also during the Islanders series that people were crediting the big improvement in Kyle Okposo's game to him seeing a sports psychologist.

The improvements in okposo's game can be credited to fleury not seeing a shrink rather than anything Okposo did. Against even an average goalie, he doesn't score that series and remains on his track to bust city.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:32 am

Penspal wrote:

Ray Shero made reference to MAF and a sports pyschologist at his year end presser. He was asked a lot of questions about staying with MAF and he did say MAF would be seeing a psychologist this summer (sort of implied he had been asked before too). So Starkey has just dug a little deeper on this. I see no problem with it.

Thanks for jogging my memory, it was the end-of-year press conference where Shero obliquely refered to a sports psychologist, but I don't think that specific term was used until Starkey's article (not that it matters much). Here is a Shero as quoted in the TR that day:

“It's been tough, really tough,” Shero said. “I had that conversation with him, some of the things I expect him to really do this summer, which I believe for the first time he's really ready to embrace and improve. With Marc, it's about focus and concentration sometimes.”

I don't see any problem with it either. In fact, it's a long overdue move, IMO, and I'm glad Fleury is no longer resistant to it.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcm on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:39 am

letsgoalpens wrote:It seems like he is thinking too much instead of reacting. When he lets in a goal he seems to not be able to rely on the skills he has to stop the next one. That Cizikas goal at the end of game four was a perfect example. He was stuck between five different moves to stop the puck and just fell into the net instead. He was thinking instead of reacting. He simply does not trust his own ability when the pressure mounts after letting in a bad goal.

Something was different after game 5 in the Detroit series that he is not able to do now. He was PHENOMENAL after game 5 in Detroit but has not been able to rebound like that since. It could be his preparation as well. He might be lulling himself into how great he is after a good regular season and then tries to find his legs after being punched in the face in the playoffs. Whatever it is, it seems all mental. No question he has the physical tools as he has shown before.

This is all true, but against Detorit, Fleury was playing with a team in front of him that had a lot of confidence and mojo. It's a lot easier to rebound when you trust your team and your team trusts you.

After the past 4 years, there's been a downward spiral in that relationship. I don't just blame Fleury. The team's leadership has begun to resemble a bunch of brats, who instead of showing the resilience that won them the cup, act like spoiled children after something doesn't go their way. Fleury's getting the blame for this, but I'd have a few other players seeing sports psychologists as well. Especially anyone who's got an 8+ year contract with this team...
Last edited by pcm on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:39 am

shmenguin wrote:
Tico Rick wrote:It was also during the Islanders series that people were crediting the big improvement in Kyle Okposo's game to him seeing a sports psychologist.

The improvements in okposo's game can be credited to fleury not seeing a shrink rather than anything Okposo did. Against even an average goalie, he doesn't score that series and remains on his track to bust city.

Sure, one could argue that Fleury made Okposo look good, but he was playing the best hockey of his career during the Pens series, and one of the TV announcers at the time said that Okposo himself credited his improvement to seeing a sports psychologist.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby topshelf on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:57 am

André wrote:He's had one amazing playoffs (08), one good (09) and then four straight horrendous apperances.

Comparing the fan base's patience with Fleury and Geno is interesting to say the least.

He wasn't "horrendous" in the '10 and '11 playoff runs, geez. The entire team fell apart (especially the defense) in '10, and the team was a mere shadow of itself in '11 due to injuries.

'12 and '13, yes, but not the previous two years.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:02 am

I think he'll make the most of having this brain wrangler. The top 4 is pretty stacked, and there's still lots of scoring up front. If there's a way to get a solid checking forward for the third line, I'll be feeling pretty confident going in.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:05 am

André wrote: Comparing the fan base's patience with Fleury and Geno is interesting to say the least.

Add Sid into that equation and it becomes even more ridiculous.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:12 am

topshelf wrote:
André wrote:He's had one amazing playoffs (08), one good (09) and then four straight horrendous apperances.

He wasn't "horrendous" in the '10 and '11 playoff runs, geez. The entire team fell apart (especially the defense) in '10, and the team was a mere shadow of itself in '11 due to injuries.

it's safe to say he was horrendous against montreal in '10. he had his moments, but crapped the bed when it mattered.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TrueNorth on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:16 am

This is all true, but against Detorit, Fleury was playing with a team in front of him that had a lot of confidence and mojo. It's a lot easier to rebound when you trust your team and your team trusts you.

After the past 4 years, there's been a downward spiral in that relationship. I don't just blame Fleury. The team's leadership has begun to resemble a bunch of brats, who instead of showing the resilience that won them the cup, act like spoiled children after something doesn't go their way. Fleury's getting the blame for this, but I'd have a few other players seeing sports psychologists as well. Especially anyone who's got an 8+ year contract with this team...[/quote]

I think your point is well taken. The meltdowns we've seen suggest that Fleury is not the only one on this team who could benefit from the services of a psychologist. I hope that management is not blind to that fact.
TrueNorth
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby tfrizz on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:45 am

shmenguin wrote:
topshelf wrote:

it's safe to say he was horrendous against montreal in '10. he had his moments, but crapped the bed when it mattered.

He was off-and-on in the '11 series against Tampa, but all-in-all he gave them a chance to win it. Easily his best post-cup series.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:48 am

I don't put too much stock in anything that happened against TB. I didn't like the nature of some of the goals he let in, but aside from the blowout, he was good enough in that series.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby topshelf on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:10 pm

shmenguin wrote:it's safe to say he was horrendous against montreal in '10. he had his moments, but crapped the bed when it mattered.

It's safe to say that, aside from Game 1, the entire team was bad during that series. They all crapped the bed when it mattered.

shmenguin wrote:I don't put too much stock in anything that happened against TB. I didn't like the nature of some of the goals he let in, but aside from the blowout, he was good enough in that series.

I agree with you here, which is why it is laughable when people refer to that playoff run as a "failure". If anyone thought a team with a top line of Kunitz-Letestu-Kovalev was going to win the Cup, the are living in a fantasy world's fantasy world. In my opinion, the fact that we won three games was amazing and a testament to how bad TB played in the beginning of the series.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:55 pm

When did Fleury fall coming out of the runway again Montreal? That's probably the thing that did it.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins