Former Penguin Announces Retirement

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Former Penguin Announces Retirement

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:29 pm

What was his story? I don't think there is any issue with him getting his story straight. The issue is with everyone else getting the story straight.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:33 pm

To Craig Patrick, it was "personal issues"
"No, I'm not going to talk about our discussion," Patrick said, saying Palffy cited only "personal reasons." Palffy told Patrick of his decision Tuesday morning. They agreed not to announce it until Wednesday because Patrick hoped Palffy would reconsider.

To the Slovak paper, it was a shoulder injury
The shoulder injury led to his decision to retire, he told the Sport daily, a Slovak newspaper.
"I have talked to my doctor and he did not recommend a third operation," Palffy told the newspaper.

Here's part of an article that mentions that he retired because of his arm, and then mentions that he may consider a comeback.
http://www.sme.sk/c/2628595/palffy-sa-mozno-vrati.html (thanks Tomas)

Even going back to an old Netwolf post, there was a pregame interview where EJ admitted that "Palffy quit"
On pregame, Stan was talking to EJ and asked him if he was surprised at how things went. EJ said yes, and listed all the players that they missed out on for the full season: "Mario retired, Thibault got hurt, Palffy quit."

Further confirmation that Palffy wasn't hurt or me reading too much into how things are worded? You decide.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1610
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:41 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
The Colonel wrote:Yes, one in the same. But I don't see Edzo needing or wanting to lie to the media about Palffy.

There is a good chance that, at the time, Edzo didn't know exactly why because Pallfy didn't want/need to divulge that information to him. If it's personal - it's personal. For a guy that up until that point in his career, was thought to be a stand-up guy, then why the erratic change of behavior? An injury wouldn't just cause him to bolt. There was obviously something more that didn't come out in the heat of the moment.

The fact that 5+ years later, someone who has way more information in Seth from the PG, says that the off-the-books record is something very personal makes more sense than what Edzo said in the heat of the moment after it just happened.

Edzo said Palffy didn't want to be in Pitt in an interview about a classic Pens game that was shown about 2 months ago. Not right after it happened and not out of anger or spite.

edzo definitely doesn't hold a grudge at all. /sarc
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Staggy on Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:45 am

Lol I've tried so hard to erase everything about that season from my mind other than Sid's rookie campaign that I almost forgot that Ziggy retired in the middle of the year. He played well here though and I'm sure he had his reasons for retiring.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:15 am

Wonder if he doesn't quit if Blysma is coaching...
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:28 am

Steve Dave wrote:Wonder if he doesn't quit if Blysma is coaching...

You ARE allowed to make posts that aren't about Bylsma, you know.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:51 am

Steve Dave wrote:Wonder if he doesn't quit if Blysma is coaching...

Why would he quit on the greatest coach ever?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins