Former Penguin Announces Retirement

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Former Penguin Announces Retirement

Postby JS© on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:14 am

Pavel Bure wrote:It's been said after he retired that he just didn't want to he in Pittsburgh. He left for a wedding during the season and the team said he was "injured" then he totally quit on them and retired. There was an interview with FHCEO on a Pens classic replay (the Hatcher game) and they asked him about Palffy. After some very careful thought he said, "I really wish that guy had wanted to be here." He quit, end of story. Further of course the team is going to cite injury. What would it look like if they said he quit? That'd look real bad on the team that a big FA acquisition just didn't want to be there.

I do remember that Penguins Classic game. I believe that was Edzo that made the quote about him not wanting to be here.

But it wasn't just the team that said he was injured. He told the Slovak papers the same thing. Maybe they initially agreed on the same story so it didn't look as bad for the team and the player, I don't know.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:21 am

People keep using the term "quitter", however, it's been pointed out by people who are not keyboard warriors there were very personal reasons as to why he left how he did. It's not like he jumped ship ala Kovalchuk to get a higher contract either.

Sometimes, you do not need to know everything. A player is allowed privacy. I'm sure leaving his teammates mid season was not his preferred way of leaving the NHL and the thing that people remember him for. Hockey isn't the whole world.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:24 am

I've never understood the venom towards the guy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:27 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I've never understood the venom towards the guy.

Me either. At the time, he was a great signing for a young team.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:49 am

Look at the venom towards Bylsma, Shero, Letang, etc. seen here. It's a game and being a fan is supposed to be fun for us fans. As I've said before, if you get so upset about what the Pens are doing you haven't experienced much in life.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:50 am

Factorial wrote:

Look at the venom towards Bylsma, Shero, Letang, etc. seen here. It's a game and being a fan is supposed to be fun for us fans. As I've said before, if you get so upset about what the Pens are doing you haven't experienced much in life.

I think that's taking it a bit too far. Being passionate about something =/= not having a life.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:00 am

Those attitudes towards those three are all because people think they're doing their job poorly. People don't think Palffy was bad...except for the thread creator apparently, they are annoyed that he left the league even though they know nothing about his reasons for doing it.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:00 am

Crankshaft wrote:
Factorial wrote:

I think that's taking it a bit too far. Being passionate about something =/= not having a life.

I didn't say anything about "not having a life" but it's more about experiencing events in life that would lead someone to get as upset as some on here do.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Colonel on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:28 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Those attitudes towards those three are all because people think they're doing their job poorly. People don't think Palffy was bad...except for the thread creator apparently, they are annoyed that he left the league even though they know nothing about his reasons for doing it.

100% wrong. What I meant by the "stinking up the joint" comment was that he was a cancer on the team. I never said he was not a good player. If the head coach could see he did t want to be on the team, then what do you think the rest of the players thought? I have coached youth hockey for a long time, and when you have a child who does not want to be there, and come to practice, that can bring the other players down also. To me, he didn't want to be part of a rebuild and wanted to go somwhere else, and he did. He let his team down. That is what I had a problem with when he left. Now if it was a family issue, then so be it, but from what the the coach said.........(yes my dots again) I tend to lean in that direction. I put Palffy in the same catogory as Eric Lindros. Lindros got drafted by the Nords, (most of you probably don't remember this) and cried that he would not sign with them. Obviously cause the Nordiques were bad, but he wont tell you that. If the Nords were good, he would have welcomed the chance to play with them, but cause he was childish, they had to make a trade for him, which in the end made me happy, because the first year he was in the NHL, the Nordiques made the playoffs and the Flyers didn't. To me that was justice served. But again IMO, Plaffy left cause he didn't want to play for a losing team. That is not the attitude to have in any team sport. Yes he still did his job, but you can be the best player in the world, and if your attitude sucks, everyone else around you will not become much better. Basically, if the team is bad, pull your skirt up, and do something about it and make the team better. Take the leash and run with it..............don't cop out.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:36 am

Lol scaling your passion for your favorite sports team based on how much "life experience" you have. Are we being serious? Why are you here?
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:49 am

GSdrums87 wrote:Lol

indeed
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Colonel on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:58 am

GSdrums87 wrote:Lol scaling your passion for your favorite sports team based on how much "life experience" you have. Are we being serious? Why are you here?

To make you ask questions.

Yes passion. Is that not why most players play the game? If you don't have the passion to help the team you are playing for, then you know what, I guess he did the right thing by leaving the team.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:08 am

Wasn't to you, Colonel. Was to Factorial. In my mind he's basically saying "Yeah well you only care about hockey so much because you've never loved and lost, and climbed a mountain, and survived a car crash." My brain is full of "wat".

But to you Colonel, all I have to say is I can only speak from my perspective. If I was making millions of dollars to do something I love, I'd suck it up and play. I don't get how players can boohoo when they signed the contract themselves.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:15 am

The Colonel wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:Lol scaling your passion for your favorite sports team based on how much "life experience" you have. Are we being serious? Why are you here?

To make you ask questions.

such a noble...................................quest
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Colonel on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:16 am

GSdrums87 wrote:Wasn't to you, Colonel. Was to Factorial. In my mind he's basically saying "Yeah well you only care about hockey so much because you've never loved and lost, and climbed a mountain, and survived a car crash." My brain is full of "wat".

But to you Colonel, all I have to say is I can only speak from my perspective. If I was making millions of dollars to do something I love, I'd suck it up and play. I don't get how players can boohoo when they signed the contract themselves.

My bad. My apology to you. I agree with you. If I were making millions also, and I was on a subpar team, in my mind I would want to say to myself......ok, how can I make a difference. What can I do on this team to make it better. He was producing points and stuck with it, but you have to have the rght attitude as well. He lacked that IMO.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:42 am

The Colonel wrote:My bad. My apology to you. I agree with you. If I were making millions also, and I was on a subpar team, in my mind I would want to say to myself......ok, how can I make a difference. What can I do on this team to make it better. He was producing points and stuck with it, but you have to have the rght attitude as well. He lacked that IMO.

How can you possibly know that?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:54 am

Crankshaft wrote:
The Colonel wrote:My bad. My apology to you. I agree with you. If I were making millions also, and I was on a subpar team, in my mind I would want to say to myself......ok, how can I make a difference. What can I do on this team to make it better. He was producing points and stuck with it, but you have to have the rght attitude as well. He lacked that IMO.

His coach and media said as much.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:54 am

Money is not the end all be all. There are only so many years in life, no point in being in a situation where you are unhappy. And Palffy took a year off after the Pens. He didn't jump ship and sign somewhere else instantly. If it was indeed a personal issue (going beyond the shoulder) then no amount of money can or will make enough difference.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Colonel on Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:58 am

Crankshaft wrote:

How could anyone possibly know which way or the other. Your right I don't, but if one person says one thing, and 10 others say something different, and all 10 say the same thing, I would tend to believe the 10, and not the 1. And before anyone takes that wrong, i am not saying 10 people said that about Palffy...........just using an example. I don't see Edzo saying that just in spite though. Ask for a trade, ask to be released. That is how Jagr did it. He came out and said he was dying alive (still not the right attitude) but he asked to leave, and they granted his wish. I don't like the comment Jagr said, which i think he should have kept between him and the management, but I don't dislike the guy either cause he didn't just up and abandon his team and leave, even though he ended up being a cancer in the locker room too.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:07 pm

You don't see Edzo doing something out of spite? Are we talking about Ed Olczyk?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Colonel on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Yes, one in the same. But I don't see Edzo needing or wanting to lie to the media about Palffy.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:22 pm

The Colonel wrote:Yes, one in the same. But I don't see Edzo needing or wanting to lie to the media about Palffy.

There is a good chance that, at the time, Edzo didn't know exactly why because Pallfy didn't want/need to divulge that information to him. If it's personal - it's personal. For a guy that up until that point in his career, was thought to be a stand-up guy, then why the erratic change of behavior? An injury wouldn't just cause him to bolt. There was obviously something more that didn't come out in the heat of the moment.

The fact that 5+ years later, someone who has way more information in Seth from the PG, says that the off-the-books record is something very personal makes more sense than what Edzo said in the heat of the moment after it just happened.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Colonel on Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:36 pm

I took this from the USA today back in Jan 06.

I was surprised," Patrick said. "He came in, he closed the door. ... It became pretty apparent once he started (talking) that he was heading down that path."

The 33-year-old Palffy was injured while playing for the Los Angeles Kings at Anaheim in January 2004. He had reconstructive surgery on his right shoulder twice, but the problems persisted. The shoulder injury led to his decision to retire, he told the Sport daily, a Slovak newspaper.

"I have talked to my doctor and he did not recommend a third operation," Palffy told the newspaper.

Palffy's agent, Paul Kraus, didn't immediately return calls from The Associated Press.

Earlier this year, Palffy retired from the Slovak national team ahead of the Torino Olympics.

Patrick said the Penguins had no concerns about Palffy's health when the team signed him to a three-year, $13.5 million contract in August.

"We didn't sense that there was any problems with the shoulder," Patrick said. "He passed the physical."

Colonel: This is what rubbed me the wrong way with him. He signed on for 13.5 million right? The team was rebuilding and he was part of it. That money could have gone to someone else that wanted to be in Pittsburgh. It would be no different if say James Neal just up and left. I think everyone here would have a bad taste in their mouth over him. The only difference ( and it wont happen obviously with Neal, so nobody take that wrong) is that the Pens were rebuilding, and him just leaving when the money could have gone elsewhere, put a thorn in the rebuild, and that did make me upset. I wanted to see the team rebuild and win, not take a step backwards.
The Colonel
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:05 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
The Colonel wrote:Yes, one in the same. But I don't see Edzo needing or wanting to lie to the media about Palffy.

There is a good chance that, at the time, Edzo didn't know exactly why because Pallfy didn't want/need to divulge that information to him. If it's personal - it's personal. For a guy that up until that point in his career, was thought to be a stand-up guy, then why the erratic change of behavior? An injury wouldn't just cause him to bolt. There was obviously something more that didn't come out in the heat of the moment.

The fact that 5+ years later, someone who has way more information in Seth from the PG, says that the off-the-books record is something very personal makes more sense than what Edzo said in the heat of the moment after it just happened.

Edzo said Palffy didn't want to be in Pitt in an interview about a classic Pens game that was shown about 2 months ago. Not right after it happened and not out of anger or spite.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby JS© on Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Crankshaft wrote:People keep using the term "quitter", however, it's been pointed out by people who are not keyboard warriors there were very personal reasons as to why he left how he did. It's not like he jumped ship ala Kovalchuk to get a higher contract either.

Sometimes, you do not need to know everything. A player is allowed privacy. I'm sure leaving his teammates mid season was not his preferred way of leaving the NHL and the thing that people remember him for. Hockey isn't the whole world.

Has nothing to do with being a keyboard warrior. If the dude said he was leaving hockey to try to land on the moon using nothing but an oversized balloon and a rubber band, I wouldn't have cared.

My issue, and even saying it's an issue is being generous, is how he left the team. I've heard various reports that it was his shoulder, a "personal matter", or even him leaving the team to get married. He can have all the privacy he wants, but it doesn't change that he is not being able to keep his story straight. Again, it's not that none of the variables mentioned aren't true, but when you tell the GM that it's personal and you tell the Slovak papers that it's because of his shoulder and still finds a way to put in almost another full decade of hockey without surgery, what should we believe?

You're right. He owes me nothing and I'm 100% sure my opinion doesn't mean a thing to him. But he bailed on his team in midseason. Doesn't matter how or why, he quit. That's a fact.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins