Pens have promoted Mike Bales to goaltending coach

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens have promoted Mike Bales to goaltending coach

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:07 pm

GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Pens have promoted Mike Bales to goaltending coach

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Can mikey287 shed some light on this? Anyone know about this guy that wasn't detailed in the press release?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:43 pm

Knew this was happening like 2 months ago. Why the press release? Thought this was common knowledge...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:14 pm

Common knowledge? Guess it depends on your definition of common.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Yeah don't think anyone outside the organization would call it common knowledge.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:17 pm

I guess I'm not a good enough fan to have this common knowledge.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:21 pm

Crankshaft wrote:I guess I'm not a good enough fan to have this common knowledge.

No, you aren't passive-aggressive enough. Work on that.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:22 pm

Bioshock wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:I guess I'm not a good enough fan to have this common knowledge.

No, you aren't passive-aggressive enough. Work on that.

Everyday.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ziggo on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:02 am

I heard it was Tretiak
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:46 am

This wasn't common knowledge. People knew he was the leading candidate just because he was next on the "depth chart", but no one cared enough about this for it to be common knowledge. To confirm my theory that it wasn't common knowledge, I searched "Bales" on this site. There was only one post that ever mentioned him on this site before this thread.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:23 am

Unless this guy has the formula to get Fleury to produce in the playoffs then i hope he doesn't get the blame if Fleury fails in the playoffs. Between him and a sprots phyc. hopefully they can get Fleury to play like he did in the 2008 and 2009 playoffs.

But i will be honest it is assuring to know you for Vokoun back there if his game goes south.

Also I can't blame the team defence on Fleury since Vokoun played infront of the same team and did well.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Bales is an excellent choice, in my opinion. He's a younger guy that's only been retired from playing a few seasons. I think age plays a much larger role in goaltending coaches than any other coaching positions. The position changes so drastically every decade or so and the older dogs have some trouble learning new tricks. He is an even keel guy that is fairly direct and blunt. The big plus I like is what Bales preaches: The Basics. He likes sharp, solid movements that are straightforward. Meloche let Fleury sort of wander in the crease (maybe thinking Fleury's athleticism would cover up his horrendous fundamentals?) when it's clear to even the newest hockey fan that Fleury needs to be anchored in the crease better. He and the sports psychologist have to work hand-in-hand to reshape Fleury's mental and physical game. Also, Bales role has been reduced compared to Meloche's. Apparently Bales will not be responsible for any in-game evaluation for Bylsma like Meloche was, which allows him to focus more concentration of the goalies specifically.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:43 am

meow wrote:Bales is an excellent choice, in my opinion. He's a younger guy that's only been retired from playing a few seasons. I think age plays a much larger role in goaltending coaches than any other coaching positions. The position changes so drastically every decade or so and the older dogs have some trouble learning new tricks. He is an even keel guy that is fairly direct and blunt. The big plus I like is what Bales preaches: The Basics. He likes sharp, solid movements that are straightforward. Meloche let Fleury sort of wander in the crease (maybe thinking Fleury's athleticism would cover up his horrendous fundamentals?) when it's clear to even the newest hockey fan that Fleury needs to be anchored in the crease better. He and the sports psychologist have to work hand-in-hand to reshape Fleury's mental and physical game. Also, Bales role has been reduced compared to Meloche's. Apparently Bales will not be responsible for any in-game evaluation for Bylsma like Meloche was, which allows him to focus more concentration of the goalies specifically.

I don't know much about Bales or the other candidates (except Johnson) but I can say I'm glad Meloche has finally been replaced. You're right that age plays a factor but it depends on how style orientated the coach is and whether they are adaptable to the constant development of the position.

IMO Fleury needs to rebuild his entire approach to games, ie train extremely hard (no more penalty shot clown shows), to implement simple solid positioning and rebound control, and to improve his stick handling - specifically much quicker decision making with the puck and better communication with the defence. Mentally he needs to let go of whatever playoff demons are haunting him and learn to play with the same calm confident attitude he displays during the regular season. Bales, the psychologist and Fleury will have their work cut out, I just wish the organisation had implemented these moves sooner!
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:29 am

MAF is the best (or second best) goalie in shootouts since shootouts appeared in 2006. Not sure what his antics in practice shootouts has to do with in-game play.

If anything, they probably help him focus more when games come down to a shootout, because he knows he can stop anyone anyway he wants.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:42 am

Luckybreak wrote:IMO Fleury needs to rebuild his entire approach to games

Not to sound snippy, but what credentials do you have to really make this sort of statement? This guy is a world class athlete. A Stanley Cup willing goaltender. He has an Olympic gold medal. He doesn't need to rebuild his entire game - a career that is 13+ years in the making.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:36 am

Replacing the goalie coach and sending Fleury to a shrink basically indicates the organization believes that MAF needs a new approach to his game.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Fast B on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:50 pm

Crankshaft wrote:

Not to sound snippy, but what credentials do you have to really make this sort of statement? This guy is a world class athlete. A Stanley Cup willing goaltender. He has an Olympic gold medal. He doesn't need to rebuild his entire game - a career that is 13+ years in the making.

I agree with you overall, but his Olympic gold medal is not evidence of any skill since he didn't even get any practice time there, let alone playing time.
Fast B
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Fast B wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:

I agree with you overall, but his Olympic gold medal is not evidence of any skill since he didn't even get any practice time there, let alone playing time.

He was still good enough to be there. It's not like they bring along Joey MacDonald to be the 3rd string.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Scott on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:34 pm

Who cares. Unless he is going to have Fluery leave the net when he isn't supposed to...a dead tree limb could be in the role.

Fleury's glaring need is a head doctor. That is who the news and attention needs to be on.
Scott
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:16 am

Bales comes highly recommended from Mitch Korn - maybe the league's best goalie coach and a major contributor to the Nashville goalie factory (not at all strange that Shero still has close ties to the Predators organization). That's a promising sign.

I had heard a couple of years ago that he was an "up and coming" guy in the goalie coaching ranks...let's hope it works out here. I'll try to pick some brains more qualified than mine about him as time allows...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:45 am

Article regarding Fleury; he must seize this opportunity and work harder than ever . His redemption isn't in the olympics, it will be next spring during a cup run.
"[Bales is] a guy who played for a long time," Fleury told RDS. "He knows what's going on these days. It will be good to have a new approach.
"For me, it will bring a new vision for the way I goal tend, so we'll see."

One major critique of Fleury's game in recent years is that he relies upon his exceptional athleticism and not goaltending technique. Bales could help remedy that.
"Mike is a student of the game, technically with the styles around the league and what's important and what makes a good goaltender in the National Hockey League," Shero said Monday on the Penguins' website. "Mike has got excellent communication skills, he's got a great personality and he played pro 15 years, so he understands the position. He understands the goalies. He's worked with some great goaltending coaches in his career. He understands what it takes and what goalies expect."

regarding the sports psychologist.
"It's another tool," Fleury told RDS's Antonin Besner earlier this week at an informal workout and promotional event in Brossard, Quebec. "It's something that can help you perform, so why not give it a try? I think it was an opportune time to meet with him.

"I feel good that I've met him," he added, saying he and the psychologist worked on "what to think and how to think. It will be good."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/ne ... z2czoNiIH7
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SoupOrSam on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:12 pm

here's to maf ... and bales ... and the doc. hope he(they) can fix his shiznit.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Luckybreak on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:25 am

MRandall25 wrote:MAF is the best (or second best) goalie in shootouts since shootouts appeared in 2006. Not sure what his antics in practice shootouts has to do with in-game play.

If anything, they probably help him focus more when games come down to a shootout, because he knows he can stop anyone anyway he wants.

I appreciate the value in shootout wins during the regular season but believe playoff success should be a priority. I wouldn't object to Flower spending the moustache boy shootout time with Bales or the psychologist developing an area of his game in which he has undeniably struggled recently. Perhaps they will advise him to do pushups/spin-o-ramas during playoff games? If it makes him more successful I'm all for it!

Crankshaft wrote:

I'm unsure what credentials I require to share my opinion on a chat forum? Let's not question anyone's right to enter a discussion based on who has been a fan longest/played or coached hockey to the highest level etc, and accept that we are all fans. I didn't question Fleury's athleticism or his silverware, I said IMO he needs to rebuild his entire approach , not his entire game. Hopefully the quote posted by Penny gives my statement the required credentials...

"It will be good to have a new approach. For me, it will bring a new vision for the way I goal tend" - MAF
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/ne ... z2czoNiIH7
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins