Clearing cap space?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Clearing cap space?

Postby columbia on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:55 pm

Certainly not from the superstar strata.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:48 am

Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Been a while since we promoted someone from WBS who stuck.

Bennett?

He played 39 games in WBS... Not sure that qualifies him as a guy that spent significant time there... Max, TK, Tanger, Brooksie... all guys that spent a few seasons in the system and became everyday players for us.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:01 am

I think leadership is pretty overrated in general. Ill take accountability and composure though.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:05 am

Pitt87 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Bennett?

He played 39 games in WBS... Not sure that qualifies him as a guy that spent significant time there... Max, TK, Tanger, Brooksie... all guys that spent a few seasons in the system and became everyday players for us.

Well, Tanger played 10 games for them. :wink:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:26 am

Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Bennett?

Funny, I always remember him as going back and forth for a year or two... guess I misremembered...

So that means its even longer than I remember, though, since we had a legit NHLer out of WBS?
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Gaucho on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:38 am

Depends very much on the criteria you want to look at. You seem to dismiss BB and Tanger because they didn't spent enough time in WBS, yet at the same time you may not accept Vitale or Despres or Bortuzzo, because they don't quite fit the "everyday player" label.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:51 am

On the whole "what each pens d is." I honestly think if you never heard of any pens player before and just scouted every game last year, you'd put Martin as our best d.

Obviously, that's a career anomoly though
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:21 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I think leadership is pretty overrated in general. Ill take accountability and composure though.

Orpik has never committed a penalty in his life according to his version of accountability.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:42 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I think leadership is pretty overrated in general. Ill take accountability and composure though.

Orpik has never committed a penalty in his life according to his version of accountability.

Oprik's problem is he keeps expecting to not get called for stuff he sees on the other end that's let go. It's like he thinks he plays in a league where the officials might be consistent in their application of the rules.

I'd be willing to bet that when we see Orpik argue a call this year we will have seen something as bad or worse let go in the other end within 5 minutes before he gets called for the penalty.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jcgopens on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Pitt87 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:

Bennett?

Funny, I always remember him as going back and forth for a year or two... guess I misremembered...

So that means its even longer than I remember, though, since we had a legit NHLer out of WBS?

Tanger played 10 games at WBS and never went back down after he was called up in early November. He became an NHL regular at the age of 20 in the hardest position to develop.
jcgopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pcm on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Letestu, Strait*, Lovejoy, Tangradi... all played in WBS. None are stars, but all are collecting full-time NHL paychecks. (Probably your definition of "legit NHLer" is a bit more subjective than this.)

Engelland, Vitale, Jeffrey as well, though all 3 will be fighting for ice time, and maybe even roster spots. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 of 3 can be moved into the group listed above in a little while.

*Rightyo...I did mean Strait not Sneep
Last edited by pcm on Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Not sure if you meant Strait instead of Sneep, but I don't believe Sneep is considered an NHLer.
Steve Dave
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:13 am

DelPen wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

Oprik's problem is he keeps expecting to not get called for stuff he sees on the other end that's let go. It's like he thinks he plays in a league where the officials might be consistent in their application of the rules.

I'd be willing to bet that when we see Orpik argue a call this year we will have seen something as bad or worse let go in the other end within 5 minutes before he gets called for the penalty.

Summary: you mean he's playing in "a garage league" (as somebody famous once said)? :lol: :twisted:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:17 pm

While over the summer, it seemed like Niskanen or Jokinen would be the odd man out to free up the cap space. Looking at the roster now, the fact Shero won't give Niskanen away for a pick, etc, I think the more probable moves would be to

Trade Engelland and Jeffrey for picks or minor leaguers - I like Dustin Jeffrey and think he still has a little more upside, but he has no shot to beat out Crosby, Malkin, or Sutter to play center. He can play wing, but even there he doesn't really have a shot unless there is an injury in the top 9. He is basically a serviceable injury fill-in at this point. With Engelland, he is never going to be more than a 6/7 on any team, and when you have Despres, Maata, Harrington, Dumoulin, and Pouliot possibly pushing for a spot, if those guys are playing lights out but can't crack the Pens defense because of Engelland having a spot, there's a problem there. Hate to lose his toughness, but keeping Niskanen makes the Pens defense better overall.

Trading Engelland and Jeffrey would free up just under 1.2mil in cap space, meaning the Pens would be about 100K under the cap with 7 defensemen and 12 forwards. An injury to defense, bring up Dumoulin. An injury in the top6, slide Jokinen up short term and bring up a bottom 6 player to replace him, since we don't really have top 6 forwards down in WBS.
FLPensFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:55 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Trading Engelland and Jeffrey would free up just under 1.2mil in cap space, meaning the Pens would be about 100K under the cap with 7 defensemen and 12 forwards. An injury to defense, bring up Dumoulin. An injury in the top6, slide Jokinen up short term and bring up a bottom 6 player to replace him, since we don't really have top 6 forwards down in WBS.

i'm not sure it works that way with cap relief unless you put someone on IR. if a guy has the flu or a sore hamstring and is going to just miss a few games, i'm almost certain he'll still count against the cap.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:57 pm

The 12 F idea should not be embraced.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:25 pm

shmenguin wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:Trading Engelland and Jeffrey would free up just under 1.2mil in cap space, meaning the Pens would be about 100K under the cap with 7 defensemen and 12 forwards. An injury to defense, bring up Dumoulin. An injury in the top6, slide Jokinen up short term and bring up a bottom 6 player to replace him, since we don't really have top 6 forwards down in WBS.

i'm not sure it works that way with cap relief unless you put someone on IR. if a guy has the flu or a sore hamstring and is going to just miss a few games, i'm almost certain he'll still count against the cap.

A player always counts toward the cap, even when on IR. The only cap relief is when a player goes on LTIR, which rarely happens. Even then, it's only temporary relief, as the team would have to regain cap compliance once the player returned to action from LTIR.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:13 pm

There are only three players that make sense from a contract point of view: Glass $1.1, Niskanen $2.3 and Orpik $3.75. Everyone else was either just recently signed or not a realistic option (Neal, etc). No one is going to take Glass' salary so he is staying. Moving Niskanen would be easy but only opens $1.2M in space for future moves and call ups. Moving Orpik could replenish the draft stock and opens a lot more space for insurance.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby count2infinity on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:17 pm

whoa... Jim is back 3 and a half years or so later.

Spoiler:
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby sil on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Perhaps I'm way off, but I feel that the pens trading away Orpik would be equivalent to them holding up a big white flag to the rest of the league for the 2013-14 season.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Yeah, I'd say that's way off.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:28 pm

count2infinity wrote:whoa... Jim is back 3 and a half years or so later.

Spoiler:

:thumb:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:46 pm

Trading Orpik isn't happening. The easiest way to go (if someone had to be traded) would be Niskanen and Glass, in that order.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Jokinen is an option as well, as Jeffrey can fill his role for @ 25% the salary.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:49 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Trading Orpik isn't happening. The easiest way to go (if someone had to be traded) would be Niskanen and Glass, in that order.

Agreed.

You also see Despres in the minors to save $$ at first. I can't see them sending down Bennett since they are bereft of good wingers on the NHL roster.
Crankshaft
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins