Smaller goalie pads.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Smaller goalie pads.

Postby no name on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:20 pm

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=680812

NHL reduced the length of goalie pads it can only by 45 percent higher above the middle of the knee. They hope this will result in more goals through the 5 hole. Fleury said he worries about goalies protection and hopes they are allowed to wear more protective knee pads under the goalie pads.

I think with all the small changes the league is making to increase scoring, it is the right way to find a solution than going with some crazy ideas. Eventually if you make enough small tweeks hopefully it will add up to a higher goals per game avg.

In 80-81 the league averaged 8.025 goals a game between both teams, so the avg. game was 5-4 or 3-4. Since then it has been a steady decline to present where we now average 5.3 goals between both teams. that is a typical 3-2 game.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Smaller goalie pads.

Postby offsides on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:42 pm

I like it.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Doesn't address the issue in a meaningful way. Should have unnoticeable effect on scoring.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:29 pm

mikey287 wrote:Doesn't address the issue in a meaningful way. Should have unnoticeable effect on scoring.

Unless Steve Mason is involved.

Yes, it will never get old until Steve Mason stops letting goals in through the 5 hole.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm fine with the current level of scoring.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Whoever decided more goals = better hockey needs kicked in the teeth
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:59 pm

meow wrote:Whoever decided more goals = better hockey needs kicked in the teeth

This goes without saying. :thumb:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:39 pm

But bigger pads = worse hockey, so it's a start.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:38 pm

As long as the Pens are scoring them, it is better hockey to me. :) To get more fans, I'm thinking more than a couple goals per team would be nice. Last season only 6 teams averaged 3+ goals per game with everybody else in the 2 range.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Well, it's consistent with all sports models right now: more scoring apparently = better football, better basketball (if such thing exists), and better baseball. So, yeah.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:53 pm

I grew up watching hockey in the 80s it was a different game then, to see this product they put on the ice in the mid 90s was just terrible. The trap dominated the game and once you got a 1 goal lead it was sat on all game.

It is nice to see the league making an attempt to keep the roots of the game the same as well getting a few more goals in the game.

I watched Lemieux chase Waynes records and i can tell you that was exciting. Now imagine if the league permitted Sid, Geno, Stamkos and Ovi to chase those records, the way the game is played now doesn't permitt it.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shoeshine boy on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:27 am

are they going to do anything about the chest protectors? it's ridiculous how some of these guys that should be wearing size medium are wearing size xl just to get more coverage.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:18 am

I had a post in the NPR thread regarding goaltender equipment, so I'll just quote it below.

meow wrote:At the end of the day, getting around the restrictions in too easy. Unless the NHL moves to something like one company makes the same pads for every goalie and they are exact cookie cutters of each other, but tailored to each goalie's individual size, guys are going to find a way to skirt around the restrictions. "Take an inch from the cuff of my glove? Ok, I'm moving that inch into the catching web until you tell me I can't six years from now." "My pads can only be 11 inches wide? Whatevs, I'll just add an inch to my thigh risers."

Chest and arm protectors and pants are honestly the biggest problems, in my opinion. Chest protectors do not need to come up at the shoulders. There was a picture of Craig Anderson where his top line of his chest protector was basically at his ears. I always added an addition roll of padding to the sternum plate in the front and never touched the shoulder rolls. Pucks off the shoulders are typically deflected off anyway. Sternum shots? That's all me in there, baby. Pants are also borderline ridiculous. Guys want to move inside their pants. Think of Fleury's down, load, and push. His torso twists inside the pants. The pants do not rotate or turn with him. Trim those puppies down.

Side note: whoever originally stirred up this Kool Aid that more goals = more engaging hockey needs a swift kick to the teeth.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:00 am

Had to laugh when i saw this pic of Lundquist new pads next to his old ones. It looks lonly like a 1.5 inch difference give or take a .5 inch. I just don't see this making a big difference. But even a small change is better than none.

GOt to agree with meow overall you need to adjust the chest protectors and pants if you want a meaningful change.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby scals37 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:10 pm

no name wrote:Image

Had to laugh when i saw this pic of Lundquist new pads next to his old ones. It looks lonly like a 1.5 inch difference give or take a .5 inch. I just don't see this making a big difference. But even a small change is better than none.

GOt to agree with meow overall you need to adjust the chest protectors and pants if you want a meaningful change.

As a goalie, I can say the thigh rise can make a bit of difference, mainly in the 5-hole coverage. Newer pads close up that area like a brick wall, there's no getting through once the pads are down and flush. Under the old rule, that also allowed a goalie to still have a wide butter fly, your legs could be further out with the 5-hole still cut off essentially taking away the entire lower portion of the net. This may possibly make some (very minor) difference in players being able to score down low on breakaways, deflections, rebounds, etc.
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:44 am

scals37 wrote:GOt to agree with meow overall you need to adjust the chest protectors and pants if you want a meaningful change.

As a goalie, I can say the thigh rise can make a bit of difference, mainly in the 5-hole coverage. Newer pads close up that area like a brick wall, there's no getting through once the pads are down and flush. Under the old rule, that also allowed a goalie to still have a wide butter fly, your legs could be further out with the 5-hole still cut off essentially taking away the entire lower portion of the net. This may possibly make some (very minor) difference in players being able to score down low on breakaways, deflections, rebounds, etc.[/quote]

I don't see this as opening the 5-hole flood gates either, in fact when they changed the width of pads many goalies commented on how they could move quicker. Pad designers are continually developing the design of pads, predominantly with the aim of more effectively closing the 5-hole and improving the goalie's ability to move whilst down (see knee cradle, +2 thigh rises, flat faced pads, shallow leg/boot channel, sliding toe strings, repositioned knee straps etc etc). As said above the chest/arm and pant protection is still way over-sized and if they can reduce this without reducing protection then they will see a more significant increase in goals scored. I bet Garth Snow is glad his playing days are over... :D
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins