Pens invite 54 players to camp

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Pens invite 54 players to camp

Postby netwolf on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:38 am

Full story and roster here: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i ... t-penguins

Most everyone at camp has an NHL contract. Tom Kostopoulos and Pierre Luc Letourneau-Leblond are on AHL-only deals. Matia Marcantuoni and Clark Seymour are unsigned draft choices. Jean-Sebastien Dea is the only tryout from development camp or the rookie tournament to get a tryout to main camp.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Pens invite 54 players to camp

Postby tfrizz on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:36 am

I didn't realize they signed Andrew Ebbett. Nice depth signing.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Guinness on Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:56 am

I'm interested to know any updates on Ruopp and Marcantuoni, if anyone could shed some light?
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby canaan on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:33 pm

interesting that steve macintyre is on the invite list.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby canaan on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:35 pm

tfrizz wrote:I didn't realize they signed Andrew Ebbett. Nice depth signing.

they signed him early (2 years, two-way)
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:54 pm

canaan wrote:interesting that steve macintyre is on the invite list.

He has an NHL contract (2 way) - invited by default
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:01 pm

canaan wrote:
tfrizz wrote:I didn't realize they signed Andrew Ebbett. Nice depth signing.

they signed him early (2 years, two-way)

I see that. I must've missed it somewhere along the way, but as I said - a very night depth signing.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby netwolf on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Guinness wrote:I'm interested to know any updates on Ruopp and Marcantuoni, if anyone could shed some light?

Marcantuoni was actually considered a first round talent at the beginning of his draft year, then he got de-railed by injuries and never really recovered, at least as far as far as production. His skating is still top end, and is already NHL level. The big question for him will be how well he can think the game. If he proves to be coachable, then he should be able to develop into a decent role player, one that excels on the forecheck. I believe he's started killing penalties in juniors (and think Pens used him there at the rookie tournament), so that should be good for him. He hasn't signed a pro deal yet, so he'll be back in Kitchener this coming season.

I don't know a ton about Ruopp. I know he's a defensive, physical guy who likes to hit and that's about all. I assume that given the Pens wanted him in their system, that he must be a decent skater/passer as that's a requirement for their D. He does have a deal, and will be playing his first year of pro hockey this fall. Organizational depth could push him down to Wheeling.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:44 am

netwolf wrote:
Guinness wrote:I'm interested to know any updates on Ruopp and Marcantuoni, if anyone could shed some light?

Marcantuoni was actually considered a first round talent at the beginning of his draft year, then he got de-railed by injuries and never really recovered, at least as far as far as production. His skating is still top end, and is already NHL level. The big question for him will be how well he can think the game. If he proves to be coachable, then he should be able to develop into a decent role player, one that excels on the forecheck. I believe he's started killing penalties in juniors (and think Pens used him there at the rookie tournament), so that should be good for him. He hasn't signed a pro deal yet, so he'll be back in Kitchener this coming season.

I don't know a ton about Ruopp. I know he's a defensive, physical guy who likes to hit and that's about all. I assume that given the Pens wanted him in their system, that he must be a decent skater/passer as that's a requirement for their D. He does have a deal, and will be playing his first year of pro hockey this fall. Organizational depth could push him down to Wheeling.

:thumb: Thanks netwolf. I remember the hype from last year with regard to Marcantuoni, and was wondering how it was holding up.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins