Center Ice Reminder

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Center Ice Reminder

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:09 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:10 miles up I270 to Rockville, about 100 yards from the northernmost of the DC Metro Red Line. :scared:

Shady Grove?

For now. They are going to expand up into Gaithersburg, Germantown, and clarksburg
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Can I use PS3 to watch gamecenter?
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:58 pm

mac5155 wrote:Can I use PS3 to watch gamecenter?

Yup.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Candleonwater on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Okay, you guys are causing me to stress. I still am not sure how to get Pens games here in the DC metro area... If I understand my options correctly, NHL Gamecenter Live is $149.99 up front or 8 payments of $18.99 ($151.92)... OR Comcast's NHL Center Ice, for 159.96.

My fear: whichever I choose... it will have few Pens games...

Granted, I'm almost perfectly happy listening to the games on my phone, but it's easy to get distracted and not follow the game closely. Prefer the visual.
Candleonwater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:12 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:10 miles up I270 to Rockville, about 100 yards from the northernmost of the DC Metro Red Line. :scared:

Shady Grove?

For now. They are going to expand up into Gaithersburg, Germantown, and clarksburg

#PostsFrom1988
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Candleonwater wrote:Okay, you guys are causing me to stress. I still am not sure how to get Pens games here in the DC metro area... If I understand my options correctly, NHL Gamecenter Live is $149.99 up front or 8 payments of $18.99 ($151.92)... OR Comcast's NHL Center Ice, for 159.96.

My fear: whichever I choose... it will have few Pens games...

Granted, I'm almost perfectly happy listening to the games on my phone, but it's easy to get distracted and not follow the game closely. Prefer the visual.

You will have any game that's on NBC Sports or NHL network and the Caps games blacked out. Now since the Pens are good there's about 20-30 games that could be blacked out. Last year about half were blacked out because they were nationally televised. If NHL Net picks a game up at the last minute that too will be blacked out. But you will still get them on cable if your subscription covers them.

If your internet connection is good, you have the devices to use it and don't mind being about a minute behind the real world then get GameCenter and look at a service that can unblock the blackouts. if it's carried on gamecenter you will get it which should be everything but NBC Sports games unless they are last minute pickups.

But you will see every single penguins game if you have NHL Net and NBC Sports unless for some strange reason Root doesn't send a crew and the game is not on local TV. The only time I remember that happening in the last 5 years is maybe a game in St. Louis when they still used the CW and had no uplink feed.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:24 pm

Saw this in /r/hockey. Somebody created a spreadsheet for Game Center Live/Center Ice, showing how much you're paying per game for the team you want to follow. It looks at the number of games blacked out (Nationally televised) and gives you the price.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... ring#gid=0
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mac5155 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:43 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:Can I use PS3 to watch gamecenter?

Yup.

Any idea how hard it is to set up w/ a VPN? Trying to ditch DirecTV and save myself $100/month.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:14 pm

Why does the NHL promo say this is the cheapest price in 5 years or whatever? I paid less for Center Ice three years ago, it was only $140 as I recall...it's $160 this year...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PensFanInDC on Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:42 pm

nocera wrote:Saw this in /r/hockey. Somebody created a spreadsheet for Game Center Live/Center Ice, showing how much you're paying per game for the team you want to follow. It looks at the number of games blacked out (Nationally televised) and gives you the price.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... ring#gid=0

Very useful. Thank you.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tdogbone on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:59 pm

I am one of the Ohio Pens fans affected by this. I got the email from directv. Last year I had to buy center ice to watch games. I always watched the ROOT Sports Pittsburgh feed. Make sure I am understanding this - this year I won't be able to watch the opponents feed on Center Ice? I'm yanked - next town is 15 minutes closer to Pittsburgh, still in Ohio, and it gets all games on ROOT. My home team for directv is CBJ, AND THEY ARE 2 HOURS WEST. Pittsburgh is a little over an hour away.
Tdogbone

Postby knives of ice on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:00 pm

if you know how to make it so you appear to be in europe NHL Gamecenter is $100....a little birdie told me. so this savings nearly pays for your vpn service for a year.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:37 am

mikey287 wrote:Why does the NHL promo say this is the cheapest price in 5 years or whatever? I paid less for Center Ice three years ago, it was only $140 as I recall...it's $160 this year...

all I can figure is that they're accidentally running the promos from last year. I remember after the lockout they pitched CenterIce as "the lowest price in X years!" which I found amusing since it was only half a season.
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:13 pm

Tdogbone wrote:I am one of the Ohio Pens fans affected by this. I got the email from directv. Last year I had to buy center ice to watch games. I always watched the ROOT Sports Pittsburgh feed. Make sure I am understanding this - this year I won't be able to watch the opponents feed on Center Ice? I'm yanked - next town is 15 minutes closer to Pittsburgh, still in Ohio, and it gets all games on ROOT. My home team for directv is CBJ, AND THEY ARE 2 HOURS WEST. Pittsburgh is a little over an hour away.

Correct. All Pens games, except those exclusively on NBCS/NBC will be blacked out.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:15 pm

nocera wrote:Has anyone used hockeystreams.com?

I used it for the 2010-11(?) season. It worked fine, but I figured I could find my own live streams free with minimal effort in upcoming seasons so I did not renew.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CBear3 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:52 pm

I forget, are the national broadcast games available on GameCenter after completion? With three little ones I often don't get the game on until they get ready for bed.
CBear3
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:13 pm

CBear3 wrote:I forget, are the national broadcast games available on GameCenter after completion? With three little ones I often don't get the game on until they get ready for bed.

48 hours after completion I believe.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:59 am

DelPen wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

Shady Grove?

#PostsFrom1988

:pop:

But yes, i'll be right at the Shady Grove Metro. Currently live about a mile from the Friendship Heights one.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby djlm on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:10 am

knives of ice wrote:if you know how to make it so you appear to be in europe NHL Gamecenter is $100....a little birdie told me. so this savings nearly pays for your vpn service for a year.

Here in Brazil it's 99 or 5 payments of 19.99, so I think it's anywhere outside NA that you get this price.

It's basically the same monthly fee I used to pay at hockeystreams, but the quality is much superior here. Kudos to the NHL for making an affordable solution for people outside NA who otherwise would not have signed or would have signed an "alternate" streaming site.
djlm
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:36 am

So I bought gamecenter last year through the apple appstore and paid the fee to apple. I never inputted my credit card info on gamecenter. It seems that it did not automatically renew. Would that be the case?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby nocera on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:22 pm

I set everything up.
Last edited by nocera on Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:So I bought gamecenter last year through the apple appstore and paid the fee to apple. I never inputted my credit card info on gamecenter. It seems that it did not automatically renew. Would that be the case?

Answer: it does not
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby knives of ice on Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:48 pm

nocera wrote:I set everything up. (Unblock-us and bought GameCenter). Big test comes tomorrow.

you can test it by watching the detroit game tonight. it would be blacked out on gamecenter without unblock-us
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:10 pm

Am I correct in saying that games on NBC / NBC Sports are blacked out on Gamecenter, but available to stream for free via the NBC Sports ap or website? I know it's true for some NBC games, just wondering if it's true for all.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby nocera on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:19 pm

knives of ice wrote:
nocera wrote:I set everything up. (Unblock-us and bought GameCenter). Big test comes tomorrow.

you can test it by watching the detroit game tonight. it would be blacked out on gamecenter without unblock-us

Thanks for the heads up. Happy to report everything is working without issue, even on Xbox.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins