Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby wondermoose on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:05 pm

I'd like this better if they hadn't re-signed Adams. Not to say I don't like Adams and what he brings for the amount of money he makes, but Kobasew would have been a viable replacement in my eyes back at the start of free agency.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,973
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:10 pm

shmenguin wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:
shmenguin wrote:in the category of "i know we don't NEED offense, but this is still depressing"...

in the 2011-2012 season, if you take our bottom 6 forwards (cooke, staal, tk, adams, asham, park) and extrapolate all of their individual points out to 82 games, they end up with: 209 total points
if you take the 2012-2013 numbers for sutter, 2 out of 3 of jeffery/kobasew/d'agostini (they're all pretty similar), adams, glass and vitale and extrapolate all of their individual points out to 82 games, they end up with: [b]103 total
that's an unbelievable drop - even
considering that we HAD to let staal go.

You'll never get over this staal thing


depends on what happens with pouliot.

but for the bazillionth time, i understand that staal wasn't re-signing here after his contract ran out no matter what. this disparity, however, goes beyond just losing a good center.

I guess I can't blame you, I don't think I can ever forgive Shero for bringing back Adams and Dupuis for what seems like eternity.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,129
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm
Location: Winners don't use drugs.- William S. Sessions.

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:11 pm

wondermoose wrote:I'd like this better if they hadn't re-signed Adams. Not to say I don't like Adams and what he brings for the amount of money he makes, but Kobasew would have been a viable replacement in my eyes back at the start of free agency.


But this way you have both? The choice isn't one or the other.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,292
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby wondermoose on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
wondermoose wrote:I'd like this better if they hadn't re-signed Adams. Not to say I don't like Adams and what he brings for the amount of money he makes, but Kobasew would have been a viable replacement in my eyes back at the start of free agency.


But this way you have both? The choice isn't one or the other.


Considering the Pens are so tight against the cap, I see this potential contract as redundant (although Kobasew can actually pitch in offensively). It doesn't really make a big impact regardless, as the contract would be minimum.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,973
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby netwolf on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:15 pm

He's basically scored at a 20 point pace each of the past 4 years. Not bad, considering he appears to have been playing mostly 4th line minutes. I haven't seen him play in that time, but my question would be, if he can't crack the top 9 on a bad Colorado team, how is he going to do that here? And if he's not, do the Pens need another 4th liner?
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,378
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:04 am

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby columbia on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:17 pm

Not saying he will, but the Pens only have 1/3 of defined 3rd line right now.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,431
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:20 pm

columbia wrote:Not saying he will, but the Pens only have 1/3 of defined 3rd line right now.


I would say 2/3 because one of Jokinen or Bennett will be on that 3rd line with Sutter.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,292
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby wondermoose on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:23 pm

netwolf wrote:He's basically scored at a 20 point pace each of the past 4 years. Not bad, considering he appears to have been playing mostly 4th line minutes. I haven't seen him play in that time, but my question would be, if he can't crack the top 9 on a bad Colorado team, how is he going to do that here? And if he's not, do the Pens need another 4th liner?


Could be Colorado has too many guys like Kobasew and would rather invest in the future? It would be the opposite of the Penguins somehow managing to fall into Connor McDavid (except nobody wants Kobasew :lol:)
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,973
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby nocera on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
columbia wrote:Not saying he will, but the Pens only have 1/3 of defined 3rd line right now.


I would say 2/3 because one of Jokinen or Bennett will be on that 3rd line with Sutter.


EA says the third line will be Glass/Sutter/Jeffrey. Yup.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,098
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:02 pm

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:37 pm

nocera wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
columbia wrote:Not saying he will, but the Pens only have 1/3 of defined 3rd line right now.


I would say 2/3 because one of Jokinen or Bennett will be on that 3rd line with Sutter.


EA says the third line will be Glass/Sutter/Jeffrey. Yup.


EA also said the 2nd line would be Kennedy-Crosby-Cooke last year.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,451
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:39 pm

wondermoose wrote:I'd like this better if they hadn't re-signed Adams. Not to say I don't like Adams and what he brings for the amount of money he makes, but Kobasew would have been a viable replacement in my eyes back at the start of free agency.


I'd like everything better if they hadn't.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,255
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby mac5155 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:22 pm

His real name is Nicholas James. I have a friend who's name is Steve and we call him chuck for no reason; I wonder how he got the name "chuck"
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,788
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:31 pm

mac5155 wrote:His real name is Nicholas James. I have a friend who's name is Steve and we call him chuck for no reason; I wonder how he got the name "chuck"


I read "Nicholas James" as "First name Nicholas, last name James" and wondered where the hell he was pulling Kobasew from.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,451
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby sil on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:31 am

mac5155 wrote:His real name is Nicholas James. I have a friend who's name is Steve and we call him chuck for no reason; I wonder how he got the name "chuck"


sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,932
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby sil on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:32 am

Come to think of it...that really should've been TK's name.

Chuck Kennedy.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,932
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Chuck Kobasew signed to tryout contract

Postby mac5155 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Image
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 47,788
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: governor of Fayettenam

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AIS31, jcgopens, lazydaze203, torartc and 30 guests


e-mail