interesting line-up for Chicago

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

interesting line-up for Chicago

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:34 pm

No Dupuis but Kuny and and Sid means that I think you will see the audition of Beau on the first line. Also, the D playing is very interesting considering the cuts that are upcoming. Wonder if the 3rd line will be Kobesaw-Sutter-D'Agostini?

2 MATT NISKANEN – D
5 DERYK ENGELLAND – D
12 CHUCK KOBASEW – F
14 CHRIS KUNITZ – F
16 BRANDON SUTTER – F
17 DUSTIN JEFFREY – F
19 BEAU BENNETT – F
22 MATT D’AGOSTINI – F
24 BRENDAN MIKKELSON – D
33 STEVE MACINTYRE – F
38 ZACH SILL – F
41 ROBERT BORTUZZO – D
45 ADAM PAYERL – F
46 JOE VITALE – F
47 SIMON DESPRES – D
51 DERRICK POULIOT – D
55 PHILIP SAMUELSSON – D
59 JAYSON MEGNA – F
87 SIDNEY CROSBY – F
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: interesting line-up for Chicago

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Kobasew-Sutter-D'Agostini might actually be a defacto "2nd" line since Geno isn't playing.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:14 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Kobasew-Sutter-D'Agostini might actually be a defacto "2nd" line since Geno isn't playing.

He means in the reg season obviously. :face:

That line has all the ingredients for an effective 3rd line. I could see Jeffrey making a case for a spot on that line too.

This game is Payerl and Megna's shot. Would love to see one of them make it.

Excited for Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett. Would Dupuis move to Malkin's LW? I could see that working.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Dupuis-Maklin-Neal
Kobesaw-Sutter-D'Agostini
Glass/Payerl-Jeffrey-Vitale
Adams

Jokinen's 2.1m and Glass' 1.1m are starting to look unnecessary.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:24 pm

there's roughly a zero percent chance of the top line changing.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:31 pm

A replaceable backup for Crosby and Malkin when they do get hurt this year makes Jokinen's 2.1m a steal.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Jokinen should stay, Niskanen and Glass can go..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:43 pm

pcm wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Kobasew-Sutter-D'Agostini might actually be a defacto "2nd" line since Geno isn't playing.

The way he worded it in his post made it sound like he was referring to this current game, especially since he has the roster for the game listed below it...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:49 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
pcm wrote:

The way he worded it in his post made it sound like he was referring to this current game, especially since he has the roster for the game listed below it...

No need to get worked up. I was thinking of the way Dan would view the line so yes, the regular season, but, you are correct that it would be the 2nd line in this game. Everyone wins. This game actually has intrigue for a preseason game. Pretty cool.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:51 pm

pcm wrote:

That line has all the ingredients for an effective 3rd line. I could see Jeffrey making a case for a spot on that line too.

Excited for Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett. Would Dupuis move to Malkin's LW? I could see that working.

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Dupuis-Maklin-Neal
Adams

Jokinen is going to be on this team this year. No way they trade him. He means too much to this team for when Sid and Geno get injured for extended period of times this season.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:57 pm

I definitely agree that Jokinen is a lock. However, Kobesaw, if he can show the grinder, forechecker ability, makes Glass or Vitale expendable. That said, Dan seems to love Glass so I can't see him threatened which baffles me. Look at their numbers from last season. Kobesaw played 11 fewer games and logged 11 pts. Glass got 2 and the one was a garbage goal. Please Shero see the light!
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:06 pm

There wasn't really anyone to replace Glass last season.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:07 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
pcm wrote:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Dupuis-Maklin-Neal
Adams

Jokinen is going to be on this team this year. No way they trade him. He means too much to this team for when Sid and Geno get injured for extended period of times this season.

Jokinen is a good guy to have around. Good on faceoffs, plays C and wing, can handle minutes anywhere in the top 9 (not so great as a 4th liner)... he's a very good utility player to have on a team that lacks high-end forward depth.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:13 pm

pcm wrote:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Dupuis-Maklin-Neal
Adams

Not bashing you but I cringe as that as our 3rd line. 2 cast offs, one who isn't know for defense, one who was at best relatively productive as a 4th liner on not so hot team.

I'm not a Sutter hater but with those two guys as his wings I think he will have to be nothing more than a neutral zone clogger.

With Jokinen or without we have serious depth issues if someone gets hurt, and cap issues if they are out for a long time and need replaced. that's going to be our issue.

Seriously take Dupius and Bennett out and try to come up with a lineup. Ugh.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:22 pm

I took them out. Still see a lineup that makes tge playoffs. Tgen i took out neal and kunitz and still see a team in the playoff picture. Why are we takin people from the team?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:22 pm

You've never seen D'Agostini play with this team. Little early to be making any assumptions on how a D'Agostini-Sutter-Kobasew or whoever line is going to play, IMO.

I also hate the term "cast-off". Technically, you could call 75% of UFAs who sign with a new team "cast-offs", especially ones who play a bottom 6 role and/or take a pay cut to continue playing with the diminishing of the cap ceiling.

Cast-off implies they have no talent or skill. If they had no talent or skill, they wouldn't be in the league anymore. There's a reason Shero signed these guys. Can we at least reserve judgment until we see how they play?
Last edited by MRandall25 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:28 pm

With the lower salary cap this year a decent amount of quality players that would normally be on a team are either looking for work or were biting their nails until getting signed late in the summer. Due to this salary cap factor I'm not calling anyone a cast off this year...but I get where you are coming from.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:36 pm

MRandall25 wrote:You've never seen D'Agostini play with this team. Little early to be making any assumptions on how a D'Agostini-Sutter-Kobasew or whoever line is going to play, IMO.

I also hate the term "cast-off". Technically, you could call 75% of UFAs who sign with a new team "cast-offs", especially ones who play a bottom 6 role and/or take a pay cut to continue playing with the diminishing of the cap ceiling.

Cast-off implies they have no talent or skill. If they had no talent or skill, they wouldn't be in the league anymore. There's a reason Shero signed these guys. Can we at least reserve judgment until we see how they play?

This is the off season and we know these players, they are not rookies or unknowns so discussing in this forumn concerns makes complete sense and isn't some crazy talk. We HAVE seen them play.

These pickups and jussi are no way comparable to any % of signed UFA's. signing guys nobody wants, signing a guy to a tryout and trading negative value for a player - they are castoffs. Scuderi isn't a castoff. Being a castoff doesn't imply they have no talent it implies they were unwanted in the league which is true. It's not like they were holding out for a higher salary.

This just all reminds me of the Tangradi talk last off season. 1,000 ways and excuses to talk circles around the reality which is - its 100 more likely it doesn't work out than that it does.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I took them out. Still see a lineup that makes tge playoffs. Tgen i took out neal and kunitz and still see a team in the playoff picture. Why are we takin people from the team?

because there will be injuries. And because we have to drop players to get under the cap.

and we don't have enough players right now if we just cut or bury someone. They need replaced.

Anyways, my point was to illustrate our insane depth issues right now.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Both Kunitz and Dupuis were once cast-offs. Players are not linear programs. Kobesaw and D'Agostini are guys who have scored 20 goals in this league. They've both gone through a down cycle in their careers. Expecting them to get back to that level is just as silly as expecting them to bust because of last year's play. You just give them a chance to succeed and if it works out, fantastic. Hopefully, you have enough depth that you get 1 or 2 guys who surpise you each year to balance out the few that don't work out.

Between Kobesaw, Jokinen, D'Agostini, Jeffrey, Glass, Vitale, and even Payerl and Megna, I think we've got enough guys competing for 4 spots, who all have a shot at contributing at a high-level in our bottom 6. Probably, 1 or 2 of the 8 will have a "break out" performace. 1 or 2 will suck or get serioulsy injured. The other 4 will be average. The net result? The break outs play on the 3rd line and get to play a meaningful role. The 4th line ends up being average... that's why its the 4th line.

This is what depth and competition is all about.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:43 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:This just all reminds me of the Tangradi talk last off season. 1,000 ways and excuses to talk circles around the reality which is - its 100 more likely it doesn't work out than that it does.

There's a difference: Kobasew and D'Agostini have actually performed at the NHL level, and performed well in their roles.

pcm wrote:Both Kunitz and Dupuis were once cast-offs. Players are not linear programs. Kobesaw and D'Agostini are guys who have scored 20 goals in this league. They've both gone through a down cycle in their careers. Expecting them to get back to that level is just as silly as expecting them to bust because of last year's play. You just give them a chance to succeed and if it works out, fantastic. Hopefully, you have enough depth that you get 1 or 2 guys who surpise you each year to balance out the few that don't work out.

Between Kobesaw, Jokinen, D'Agostini, Jeffrey, Glass, Vitale, and even Payerl and Megna, I think we've got enough guys competing for 4 spots, who all have a shot at contributing at a high-level in our bottom 6. Probably, 1 or 2 of the 8 will have a "break out" performace. 1 or 2 will suck or get serioulsy injured. The other 4 will be average. The net result? The break outs play on the 3rd line and get to play a meaningful role. The 4th line ends up being average... that's why its the 4th line.

Basically this. :thumb:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:01 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:This just all reminds me of the Tangradi talk last off season. 1,000 ways and excuses to talk circles around the reality which is - its 100 more likely it doesn't work out than that it does.

There's a difference: Kobasew and D'Agostini have actually performed at the NHL level, and performed well in their roles.

pcm wrote:Both Kunitz and Dupuis were once cast-offs. Players are not linear programs. Kobesaw and D'Agostini are guys who have scored 20 goals in this league. They've both gone through a down cycle in their careers. Expecting them to get back to that level is just as silly as expecting them to bust because of last year's play. You just give them a chance to succeed and if it works out, fantastic. Hopefully, you have enough depth that you get 1 or 2 guys who surpise you each year to balance out the few that don't work out.

Basically this. :thumb:

Disagree - by that rationale you can basically inset any 8 players in the nhl and AHL and make that argument. It's silly.

I still believe that is a lot more unlikely than likely. That veterans all of the sudden have breakout years.

And this is where I disagree with everyone. It's not about the 4th line being average that makes zero sense. It's about filling a specific role to help get us a Stanley Cup.

In the playoffs last year our 3rd and 4th lines only role was to trap like you never trapped before and then get off the ice. Don't try to do anything because you basically aren't capable.

This group is shaping up to be worse, potentially much worse especially if the 3rd ends up being a 3rs scoring line. Blech.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:13 pm

Danny Balls was just on NHL Live. Some takeaways....

-Mentioned 4th line "staples" such as Adams, Vitale, and Glass :face:

-Talked about 3rd line options, mentioned Sutter, Jokinen, Kobasew, D'Agostini and Megna.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:26 pm

shmenguin wrote:there's roughly a zero percent chance of the top line changing.

Mario and Wayne in their primes just arrived and want to play top line with Sid, sorry guys that goes to Kunitz and Dupuis
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:39 pm

BFF

I'm guessing J. Martin or someone is looking at Bennett and seeing a guy who's only going to get better, a long-term winger for Sid... then looking at Dupuis and Kunitz and seeing 2 guys who are only going to decline. Why wait to see if Bennett and Sid hit it off? It would be the best possible scenario...

Change is coming. Maybe not as quickly as some would hope, but it cometh and thee will weep with glory before thine enemies' lamentations.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:31 pm

Is there a better time to try some different things than the preseason?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins