interesting line-up for Chicago

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: interesting line-up for Chicago

Postby pcm on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Crankshaft wrote:I think you're all getting upset over nothing. Lines mean nothing to Bylsma, especially in the pre-season.

That was Therrien. DB's line shuffling definitely falls on the conseverative side of the spectrum.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:23 pm

Crankshaft wrote:I think you're all getting upset over nothing. Lines mean nothing to Bylsma, especially in the pre-season.

In the context of this preseason game it is 'nothing', but the fact that 'lines mean nothing to Bylsma' is the thing that I'm upset about when applied to the regular season. I don't agree that he hates younger players but they certainly don't get as long a leash as they would in many other (admittedly worse) clubs.

The real issue for me is what I perceive as Bylsma failing to recognise where a player should, thoeretically, be most effective - or refusing to stick to convention because he believes more strongly in where he wants that player to fit.

IMO BB's ability to play top 6 exceeds the value he provides as a 3rd liner and the team should be solidifying his role, be it on Geno or Sid's wing.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:25 pm

Holy crap, it's a preseason game.

It doesn't even matter
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:32 pm

Beau Bennett is going to be on Malkin's LW to start the season. He's going to have his time.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:35 pm

If I had to take a guess, the reason why they're putting Bennett on the 2nd line LW for the game is because he's slotted to play LW with Malkin to start the year, so they're going to continue to have him play LW instead of swapping him to the RW for this game. Out of the 4 RWs playing tonight's game, Kobasew is the one they need to take the longest look at, so it's obvious why he's starting on the top line RW.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:42 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Holy crap, it's a preseason game.

It doesn't even matter

So what, in your opinion, is the point in having preseason games? In the grand scheme I think most would say the regular season doesn't even matter (for a playoff team). Perhaps the regular season is preparation for the playoffs and the preseason is preparation for the regular season?
Trust me I'm not about to jump bridge over a preseason game, but with so many question marks over the bottom 6 I'd rather be experimenting down there whilst ensuring BB is fully primed for a full season playing top 6. Should he falter we know he can play the third and Jussi is insurance.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Crankshaft wrote:If I had to take a guess, the reason why they're putting Bennett on the 2nd line LW for the game is because he's slotted to play LW with Malkin to start the year, so they're going to continue to have him play LW instead of swapping him to the RW for this game. Out of the 4 RWs playing tonight's game, Kobasew is the one they need to take the longest look at, so it's obvious why he's starting on the top line RW.

Ok, that does make sense. I think I'm overly anxious at the prospect of having similar debates about the lineup come playoff time.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Luckybreak wrote:

It doesn't even matter

So what, in your opinion, is the point in having preseason games? In the grand scheme I think most would say the regular season doesn't even matter (for a playoff team). Perhaps the regular season is preparation for the playoffs and the preseason is preparation for the regular season?
Trust me I'm not about to jump bridge over a preseason game, but with so many question marks over the bottom 6 I'd rather be experimenting down there whilst ensuring BB is fully primed for a full season playing top 6. Should he falter we know he can play the third and Jussi is insurance.

As another poster pointed out, you need to get a look at everyone in different roles. Bennett or Jokinen are going to be playing with Malkin during the season. If you want to get Jokonen time with Malkin, Beau Bennett is going to have to play 3rd line or be scratched. The preseason is the perfect time to make sure 1) Kobasew can play more than one role (remember, Kobasew is playing for a contract) and 2) Bennett can play and add something to the 3rd line that they didn't have before.

Really, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just because the lines are this way in a preseason game where half the regular lineup isn't playing doesn't mean that's what they'll be in the regular season.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:09 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Luckybreak wrote:

It doesn't even matter

As another poster pointed out, you need to get a look at everyone in different roles. Bennett or Jokinen are going to be playing with Malkin during the season. If you want to get Jokonen time with Malkin, Beau Bennett is going to have to play 3rd line or be scratched. The preseason is the perfect time to make sure 1) Kobasew can play more than one role (remember, Kobasew is playing for a contract) and 2) Bennett can play and add something to the 3rd line that they didn't have before.

Really, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just because the lines are this way in a preseason game where half the regular lineup isn't playing doesn't mean that's what they'll be in the regular season.

I'm obv :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: over my personal issues with HCDB! Will try to contain myself but can't guarantee anything.

Anyone seen if JM has had any discernable influence over the team?
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Crankshaft wrote:Beau Bennett is going to be on Malkin's LW to start the season. He's going to have his time.

Knowing Bylsma he'll probably share time with Jokinen.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Daniel87 wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:Beau Bennett is going to be on Malkin's LW to start the season. He's going to have his time.

But he'll still play a 3rd line role, IMO, if Jokinen plays/gets time with Geno. Which is probably why he's getting time with them now.

He's a special breed. He can score, but he also has the defensive awareness/ability to play a 3rd line role if needed.

I'd take full advantage of that if I'm the coach.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:37 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Daniel87 wrote:

But he'll still play a 3rd line role, IMO, if Jokinen plays/gets time with Geno. Which is probably why he's getting time with them now.

He's a special breed. He can score, but he also has the defensive awareness/ability to play a 3rd line role if needed.

I'd take full advantage of that if I'm the coach.

I still think his overall value to the team is higher with Geno/Sid, but totally agree that one of the most welcome aspects of BB's game is his defensive awareness. His versatility is an excellent attribute and should keep him in the league (hopefully with the Pens).
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:06 pm

Not directly related to the line-up tonight, but I heard Josh Yohe on Madden's show on the drive home talk player selection for the final roster. He gets the sense that the organization still really like Niskanen and isn't pleased with Despres's camp so far, so he expects them to solve their cap problems by sending Despres to WBS (I don't know if that does get them under the cap, but he implied it did).

He also thought D'Agostini was pretty much a lock to make the team, meaning no Kobasew. I know D'Agostini has the contract and Kobasew doesn't, but it seems weird that this would be written in stone before D'Agostini has even played a preseason game. I wouldn't give Kobasew a contract on the basis of one good game, but it doesn't seem like they'd be so attached to D'Agostini that they'd keep him over Kobasew even if Kobasew keeps putting up points and D'Agostini does nothing.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Both Despres and Nisky had abysmal preseason games. I'd keep the cheaper one.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:19 pm

Does the Trib only hire drama queens?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby netwolf on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:27 pm

IMO, Kobasew is getting a look there to see if he could also serve as insurance against an injury to their top 6, ala Jokinen. If he can, that's another plus for him over the others fighting for a bottom 6 spot. I think it is unlikely at this point, but maybe that's the thing that gets him a contract and makes Glass expendable.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:43 pm

Phil Bourque was on NHL live and said that Kobasew and Sid train together
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:54 pm

I'm apologize but I actually care what the lines are like for a pre season game.

Our bottom 6 have been bunk in the role they needed since 2009. I want to see if our "tryout" scrubs can handle that role.

Playing with Sid - why bother? It shows me nothing of what this clown is capable of in the role we need him to be.

Why play pre season games at all then? I'm sure he is not proving his 4th line cycle worth in passing drills.

We know Glass, Adams and Vitale can't play on the top 3 lines as fill ins - so if we get to a point we need someone other than Jussi we are screwed anyways.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:05 pm

columbia wrote:Does the Trib only hire drama queens?

It seems that way. I was happy at first to hear that Yohe was the hockey interviewee today instead of Rossi, since I thought Yohe was more level-headed and nuanced in his analysis. However, it was more of the same absolute certainty about debatable topics--e.g. "I know exactly what the final 23 man roster will be and Despres won't be on it."
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby profpolisci on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:24 pm

Bortuzzo cleans Brookbank's clock. And, dang, Pouliot is a player.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:27 pm

profpolisci wrote:Bortuzzo cleans Brookbank's clock.

Why is there no game thread?

Anyway, our PP looks great tonight. Imagine that, Crosby without Malkin on the PP and it looks great. I'm still of the belief that we should be giving each their own unit.

Pouliot is very slick on the PP, he'll have some growing pains on the defensive side of the puck, but so did Letang, and still does haha. He's gonna be a great player.
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:30 pm

Start it dump
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby profpolisci on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:31 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
profpolisci wrote:Bortuzzo cleans Brookbank's clock.
Pouliot is very slick on the PP, he'll have some growing pains on the defensive side of the puck, but so did Letang, and still does haha. He's gonna be a great player.

The pass he made before the goal was as impressive as the latter.
profpolisci
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Beveridge on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:31 pm

I could throw an emergency one up but for preseason, might as well just continue in this thread since it was based on lineup for tonight.

On that note:

-Pens really slow to start
-Terrible turnover by Vitale that lead to Sharp (still my non favorite Pen) goal
-Bennett looking awesome again
-Kobasew looks to be serviceable
-D'Ag botched a great pass from Beau
-Crosby out killing on the PK (came out on in play ice change not for a faceoff)
-Pouliot will be a nice PP QB I think
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:31 pm

You don't see Sid surprised to get a pass very often... but Bennett had him wide open...

Looking forward to Poliout running our PP in the near future.

Bortuzzo! Hockey! Arrr!
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins