Vokoun out indefinitely: blood clot

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Vokoun out indefinitely: blood clot

Postby Pitts on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:49 am

Shyster wrote:
llipgh2 wrote:What's unnerving about the article is he had multiple clots. He is incredibly fortunate the Pens team doctor sent him to the hospital immediately.

Wow, yeah. That article makes it sound far more serious than what has been reported locally.

A single loose blood clot can kill in minutes. Voukon needs to make the right decision about returning. This is very serious.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:02 pm

From those quote TOmas posted, sounds very doubtful he will return this year.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:28 pm

It sounds like his career is over at this point. At least that's the preliminary thoughts.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:30 pm

Not only that, but his career is secondary at this point. Get well soon, Tomas, and do whatever you feel is best for you.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:56 pm

FWIW, if he retires the Pens are screwed, as he's over 35. But probably he'd just LTIR the rest of the season.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:56 pm

tfrizz wrote:
shmenguin wrote:vokoun was good enough to get us to the finals last year, and it's no stretch to say it was possible that he would have been good enough to get us the cup. so, as a whole, our goaltending tandem was "good enough". without vokoun, that's likely not the case. losing him for the season is very bad news. losing him for several months doesn't really matter.

Which brings up a whole new set of issues. The previous couple of runs there were excuses - injuries, poor goaltending, etc. Last year the team was loaded, full strength, healthy, and good very good goaltending out of Vokoun - and they still got completely embarrassed by the Bruins, who I'd argue don't have nearly the talent the Pens have.

To add insult to injury, on two occasions the Blackhawks scored more goals in a single game against the Bruins than the Pens did in their entire series...

I guess my difference when thinking about this stuff ( and I am not an HCDB fan)...

Is that I would argue overall the Bruins have just as much if not more talent than the Pens. Don't want to argue opinions here but to say they don't have the near the talent is crazy. especially if you put line up next to line up.

their top two center don't compare but are not slouches and in fact are probaly a top 3 or 4 pair in the league. Their worst fit was Seguin and we ran with Morrow or Kenndy in that slot.

I get HCDB doesn't help things but I think people severely over estimate our roster after Sid, Geno and Letang.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:59 pm

We had the best roster the league has seen in a decade last season. But Blysma did not put those players in the best positions to succeed.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:05 pm

pcm wrote:We had the best roster the league has seen in a decade last season. But Blysma did not put those players in the best positions to succeed.

I 100% completely disagree with this statement.
Agree to disagree on that but man we were not that great. No 3rd line, no 4th line, a few washed up big names, 4 dmen who couldn't play in their own end.

I will agree to disagree on your post.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:09 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
pcm wrote:We had the best roster the league has seen in a decade last season. But Blysma did not put those players in the best positions to succeed.

I 100% completely disagree with this statement.
Agree to disagree on that but man we were not that great. No 3rd line, no 4th line, a few washed up big names, 4 dmen who couldn't play in their own end.

I will agree to disagree on your post.

I think we can all agree that last year, everyone failed. Bylsma failed. The players failed. Fleury failed. There wasn't a single player who can be absolved from any blame.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:19 pm

The Boston series was more on coaching than anything else in my opinion.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:23 pm

mikey287 wrote:The Boston series was more on coaching than anything else in my opinion.

:thumb:

Julien prepared a game plan to shut the Penguins down, his players executed it perfectly, and Bylsma had no answer.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:29 pm

mikey287 wrote:The Boston series was more on coaching than anything else in my opinion.

I'm not an HCDB defender at all, nor a fan.

My only contention is our roster is full of holes or has some players overrated in slots both are largely ignored.

Not sure coaching could have saved mediocre 3rd line, terrible 4th line and too many not well rounded defensive players.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:34 pm

Roster was better than two goals in four games. Failed to execute. Continued to stretch pass into layered defense. Continued to refuse to attack with numbers. All things have been discussed ad nauseum here, with a new season here, I think it's best for everyone if we all move on.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:37 pm

mikey287 wrote:Roster was better than two goals in four games. Failed to execute. Continued to stretch pass into layered defense. Continued to refuse to attack with numbers. All things have been discussed ad nauseum here, with a new season here, I think it's best for everyone if we all move on.

I don't disagree at all and am talking more towards this upcoming season. HCDB or not I don't believe our roster was or is as cup ready as others think.

Too many holes throughout not filled or got worse
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:59 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I don't believe our roster was or is as cup ready as others think.

the roster itself was stacked. not all the parts worked together, but on paper, this was a monster team.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby roland on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:28 pm

Interesting Udpate: Vokoun cleared for workouts

Penguins goaltender Tomas Vokoun has been cleared to begin light workouts next week and expects to resume his career, according to his agent, Allan Walsh.

Walsh, in an email exchange, said Vokoun's thoughts were not portrayed in their entirety in the story. Vokoun is Czech.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2g7Rgq1kO
roland
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 1h
Vokoun's agent @walsha says goalie wasn't fully quoted in Czech report; any blood clot situ leaves you feeling lucky to be alive. #Penguins

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha 1h
I spoke with Tomas Vokoun this morning and he asked me to share the following...

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha 1h
Re: Vokoun - Comments attributed to him in the Czech media are not accurate. He is feeling good, will resume light workouts next week. (1)

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha 1h
After meeting with his doctors and discussions with the Penguins, a timeline will be decided on for his return to action. (2)

Allan Walsh ‏@walsha 1h
Tomas Vokoun is also very thankful for all the support and good wishes sent his way. (3)

It appears we all jumped the gun a bit. I hope Tomas is making the right decision.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:36 pm

Its really hard to place blame on just one thing and say this was the reason we lost. But Dan B is a close to a single reason you will get. That game vs Ottawa We got a power play with a 2 mins to go. All we have to do is kill the clock. Dan B. throws out the top power play unit. Ottawa gets control of the puck pulls the goalie and its now a 5 on 5. Eventually Ottawa scores... I never screamed at the TV as much as I did that night. I knew it would fail when I saw the 1st unit out there.

Dan never adjusted no matter who we played. Ok vs Ott and NYI we were so much more talented we almost couldn't lose. But Boston beat us, not just beat us but a sweep.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CERV96 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:54 pm

pcm wrote:FWIW, if he retires the Pens are screwed, as he's over 35. But probably he'd just LTIR the rest of the season.

Why not? The Flyers have been doing this with Pronger for 2 seasons now. Something should have been done about this during the last CBA.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:06 pm

Like what? PlAyers with health issues count against the cap? Teams wouldnt survive major injuries
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Beveridge on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:39 pm

People need to give the whole Pronger/Flyers thing a rest.

Flyers would rather have Pronger playing than using him on LTIR and it's been so long for most, but I'm glad that I don't have to worry about Pronger everytime we play Philly. Guy was $$ defenseman.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:34 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Like what? PlAyers with health issues count against the cap? Teams wouldnt survive major injuries

No, the fact that Pronger will never lace his skates again and retire is obvious. His contract was in effect at the age of 35 which means if he retires the Flyers are responsible for the cap hit. So they are hiding him on LTIR until his contract is up so they are not responsible for the the cap hit. They are circumventing the cap by doing this. The Flyers offered him this deal knowing this. I don't blame the player but I blame the organization.

I think something should be done. I don't know what but I don't think it's right.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:57 pm

shmenguin wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:I don't believe our roster was or is as cup ready as others think.

the roster itself was stacked. not all the parts worked together, but on paper, this was a monster team.

Yeah, if the Pens roster wasn't "cup ready" then no one has had a "cup ready" roster since before the 04-05 lockout.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:58 pm

CERV96 wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:Like what? PlAyers with health issues count against the cap? Teams wouldnt survive major injuries

No, the fact that Pronger will never lace his skates again and retire is obvious. His contract was in effect at the age of 35 which means if he retires the Flyers are responsible for the cap hit. So they are hiding him on LTIR until his contract is up so they are not responsible for the the cap hit. They are circumventing the cap by doing this. The Flyers offered him this deal knowing this. I don't blame the player but I blame the organization.

I think something should be done. I don't know what but I don't think it's right.

If your answer to the question: If Pronger was healthy on day one of this season would he play? is honestly "no", then i'll listen to your argument.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:10 pm

The issue is obvious that he is never going to play again. Therefore he should be retired and not on LTIR but they are purposly keeping him on there so they are not responsible for his cap hit. The Flyers signed an over 35 player to a long term front loaded deal. I'm willing to bet a whole paycheck he officially retires at I belive 43 when that contract expires. It's a loop hole and the Flyers are using it. I don't blame them for doing it but its obviously circumventing the cap.

I am not giving up on this because I know I am right.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins