Fleury is done

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fleury is done

Postby meow on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:36 am

Oh, and all the NHL players that voted him as the coach they would most want to play for. They are all idiots as well, I take it.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:36 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
Pitts wrote:
bhaw wrote:my personal opinion is DB is an idiot and can't figure out how to insulate a goalie on D.

This is what I've been saying all along. It isn't so much the goalie as much as it is the team. It's the same as everyone blaming Roethlisberger for the failures of the Steelers.

Really? Then why does the team dominate in the regular season and their starting goalie fall apart in the playoffs?

I'm not completely absolving Fleury of responsibility. But this team does not change it's approach once the playoffs start. Every other team in the league buckles down to a defense first game. The pens come in like kids in a candy store.
Last edited by Pitts on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:37 am

meow wrote:Oh, and all the NHL players that voted him as the coach they would most want to play for. They are all idiots as well, I take it.

For the record, bhaw called him an idiot. I did not.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:39 am

Pitts wrote:
meow wrote:Oh, and all the NHL players that voted him as the coach they would most want to play for. They are all idiots as well, I take it.

I figured you were agreeing with the fact that he cannot insulate a goalie, not that he is an idiot.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:41 am

meow wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I figured you were agreeing with the fact that he cannot insulate a goalie, not that he is an idiot.

Well, it's pretty obvious the Pens struggle on the defensive side of the game. Whether that's on Bylsma or the players, I don't know.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:51 am

They had the second best goal differential in the league last year. That doesn't exactly scream struggle in the defensive zone.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:52 am

meow wrote:
Pitts wrote:
bhaw wrote:my personal opinion is DB is an idiot and can't figure out how to insulate a goalie on D.

This is what I've been saying all along. It isn't so much the goalie as much as it is the team. It's the same as everyone blaming Roethlisberger for the failures of the Steelers.

You see him as an idiot, yet the hockey people that voted him the Jack Adams and the hockey people that selected him to be the next Olympic coach don't see it?

Are you supporting that the sports writers that vote aren't collectively idiots?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meow on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:55 am

Collectively? No. One, or a dozen, bad apples don't ruin the bunch.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:56 am

I guess Ray Shero is an idiot too.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:57 am

Everyone is an idiot!
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:58 am

I'd say one or a dozen are the number of people that know what they're talking about. The voting for any of those awards is consistently bad when its not a layup.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:59 am

meow wrote:They had the second best goal differential in the league last year. That doesn't exactly scream struggle in the defensive zone.

No, it screams really, really good at regular season offense.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:59 am

Crankshaft wrote:Everyone is an idiot!

That's true; we don't want to leave Lemieux out of this discussion.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby meow on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:00 am

I would agree, but the Jack Adams in one that they surprisingly get right they majority of the time. It might be the most consistently accurate award they hand out.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:02 am

meow wrote:I would agree, but the Jack Adams in one that they surprisingly get right they majority of the time. It might be the most consistently accurate award they hand out.

To play devil's advocate, the Jack Adams has to be the easiest award to choose.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:04 am

Crankshaft wrote:
meow wrote:I would agree, but the Jack Adams in one that they surprisingly get right they majority of the time. It might be the most consistently accurate award they hand out.

To play devil's advocate, the Jack Adams has to be the easiest award to choose.

Which makes Bylsma winning it that much more accurate that he, is in fact, not an idiot. Unless he woke up one day and forgot how to coach.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:04 am

Jack Adams award. Awarded to the coach of the playoff team that suffered the most injuries during the season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:08 am

Well, yea when there's no accountability, easy goin atmosphere and everything is jolly who wouldn't?

The year the Pens won the cup they went from a coach who would was fiery and yell and punish players then to a coach who pats guys on the back, says get to your game and gives optional practices. I wish I could have optional off days at work.....
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:13 am

SolidSnake wrote:

Well, yea when there's no accountability, easy goin atmosphere and everything is jolly who wouldn't?

Yea, you know, or winning is a big deal. That may play into it. But you are probably right. Pro athletes want an easy going atmosphere where there are h'ordeuvres and free back rubs.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:15 am

The series against the Bruins was hilarious the ENTIRE league just came off a what 4-5 month lockout? and the Pens are struggling against the Bruins and Byslma is giving optional practices and film day because there's "nothing to work on" and the team was "tired" LOL WAT
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:15 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Jack Adams award. Awarded to the coach of the playoff team that suffered the most injuries during the season.

It goes to the coach who has the best story of the year. Last year, the Senators. The year before, the Blues and Hitchcock.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:17 am

I still love the Pittsburgh idea that the former coach was always the better coach and any replacement only won because of said former coach.

Pirates are only successful because of John Russell
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:20 am

Rylan wrote:I still love the Pittsburgh idea that the former coach was always the better coach and any replacement only won because of said former coach.

Pirates are only successful because of John Russell

Just remind me, did the Pirates fire Russell midseason, only to replace him with Hurdle and win the World Series? I can't remember.....
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:21 am

SolidSnake wrote:The series against the Bruins was hilarious the ENTIRE league just came off a what 4-5 month lockout? and the Pens are struggling against the Bruins and Byslma is giving optional practices and film day because there's "nothing to work on" and the team was "tired" LOL WAT

Push the team in practice that is obviously tired. That's a great coaching strategy. Are you Don Cherry? The 1970's called and wants their coaching strategy back. It's a new league now, get used to it.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:23 am

meow wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:The series against the Bruins was hilarious the ENTIRE league just came off a what 4-5 month lockout? and the Pens are struggling against the Bruins and Byslma is giving optional practices and film day because there's "nothing to work on" and the team was "tired" LOL WAT

Push the team in practice that is obviously tired. That's a great coaching strategy. Are you Don Cherry? The 1970's called and wants their coaching strategy back. It's a new league now, get used to it.

Sounds good to me. Why even bother practicing the rest of the season then? The team will get to their game.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins