Fleury is done

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Fleury is done

Postby Beveridge on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Good question, harder to answer without inside knowledge of what he is working on with Fleury.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,851
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:38 pm
Location: Punxsutawney

Re: Fleury is done

Postby tfrizz on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:55 pm

Jim wrote:tfrizz laying down a lot of data that is going to take a few to digest...

On a side... I was watching a DVR'd In The Room and Bales was talking about Fleury. I know that we were all kind of "eeeehhhhh" when Bales was hired... but... What portion of Fleury's good start do people think is directly related to the switch from Maloche to Bales?


That's a good question. It's tough to say because we don't know what kind of impact the sports psychologist had, but I think we're same to assume that both the psych and Bales have been a factor.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,649
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Fleury is done

Postby Rylan on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:57 pm

tfrizz wrote:
Jim wrote:tfrizz laying down a lot of data that is going to take a few to digest...

On a side... I was watching a DVR'd In The Room and Bales was talking about Fleury. I know that we were all kind of "eeeehhhhh" when Bales was hired... but... What portion of Fleury's good start do people think is directly related to the switch from Maloche to Bales?


That's a good question. It's tough to say because we don't know what kind of impact the sports psychologist had, but I think we're same to assume that both the psych and Bales have been a factor.


Anytime people mentioned the goalie coach change before it was shot down by "pros shouldn't need coaches," retort. I think the offseason psych and coaching change has been central in Fleury elevating his game through the first 10% of the season.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,085
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Fleury is done

Postby tfrizz on Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Rylan wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
Jim wrote:tfrizz laying down a lot of data that is going to take a few to digest...

On a side... I was watching a DVR'd In The Room and Bales was talking about Fleury. I know that we were all kind of "eeeehhhhh" when Bales was hired... but... What portion of Fleury's good start do people think is directly related to the switch from Maloche to Bales?


That's a good question. It's tough to say because we don't know what kind of impact the sports psychologist had, but I think we're same to assume that both the psych and Bales have been a factor.


Anytime people mentioned the goalie coach change before it was shot down by "pros shouldn't need coaches," retort. I think the offseason psych and coaching change has been central in Fleury elevating his game through the first 10% of the season.


Look no further than Giguere. He's played 3 games this season and recorded 2 shutouts - a 39 save one against Boston, and a 34 save one against the Pens. Is it coincidence that he suddenly found this form after his former goalie coach in Anaheim, Francois Allaire, was hired by the Avalanche this summer? If it is a coincidence, then it's an awful big one because Varlamov looks fantastic too!

At the end of the day, there have been enough cases of new goalie coaches having a big impact on their pupils' play that it'd be ridiculous to discount it. That's the #1 reason I've been calling for Meloche to be replaced for years - Fleury showed absolutely no improvement under him, so the worst case scenario was that someone with a fresh set of eyes was able to come in.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,649
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Fleury is done

Postby Bathgate on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:50 am

From an article in Sportsnet this morning on the Avalanche:

"What stands out most about Colorado’s success so far is the fact that it has allowed just 12 goals in nine games – a testament to the play of Giguere and Semyon Varlamov. Both have credited Roy and new goaltending coach Francois Allaire for helping improve their play."

Further evidence that Shero and Bylsma need to be indicted for failure to change goalie coaches sooner. Makes me sick!
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,012
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Fleury is done

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:55 am

Pens were outshot 34-14 last night and still lost. If that isn't proof that Fluery sucks, I don't know what is.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,824
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Fleury is done

Postby penmyst on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:57 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Pens were outshot 34-14 last night and still lost. If that isn't proof that Fluery sucks, I don't know what is.


Irrefutable.

That deflection goal he gave up, the lone goal of the game mind you, was a classic sign of suckitude.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,369
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:30 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Fleury is done

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:00 am

penmyst wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Pens were outshot 34-14 last night and still lost. If that isn't proof that Fluery sucks, I don't know what is.


Irrefutable.

That deflection goal he gave up, the lone goal of the game mind you, was a classic sign of suckitude.


Indubitably.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,824
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Fleury is done

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:04 am

shafnutz05 wrote:Pens were outshot 34-14 last night and still lost. If that isn't proof that Fluery sucks, I don't know what is.


The Pens weren't outshot last night. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,945
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Fleury is done

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 am

"The Force" must have been with the Avs and Giguere last night.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,691
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:57 pm
Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Re: Fleury is done

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:17 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Pens were outshot 34-14 last night and still lost. If that isn't proof that Fluery sucks, I don't know what is.


The Pens weren't outshot last night. :pop:


:slug:
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,824
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Fleury is done

Postby Factorial on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:50 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:Pens were outshot 34-14 last night and still lost. If that isn't proof that Fluery sucks, I don't know what is.


The Pens weren't outshot last night. :pop:


But that incorrect fact makes the spirit of the post even better.
Factorial
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,238
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:25 pm
Location: Gleefully Ignorant

Re: Fleury is done

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:04 am

Anything that reaffirms shaf's lack of credibility definitely makes things better.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,945
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Fleury is done

Postby Gaucho on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:25 am

Re: Colorado, I have a hard time believing that a goalie coach can have this much of an impact in such a short time. Except if his specialty is witchcraft.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,810
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: Fleury is done

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:25 am

I guess the misspelling of Fleury's name, etc wasn't enough to make the sarcasm of the whole post obvious. Oh well.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 58,824
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:10 pm
Location: Amish Country

Re: Fleury is done

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:30 am

Gaucho wrote:Re: Colorado, I have a hard time believing that a goalie coach can have this much of an impact in such a short time. Except if his specialty is witchcraft.


Only reason it's even remotely plausible is that Allaire was Giguere's coach in Anaheim.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,538
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: Fleury is done

Postby Desiato on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:25 pm

Gaucho wrote:Re: Colorado, I have a hard time believing that a goalie coach can have this much of an impact in such a short time. Except if his specialty is witchcraft.


I tend to think that having one of the greatest goalies and competitors in NHL history as the head coach may have something to do with both goalies on the team over-achieving.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,368
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Fleury is done

Postby Gaucho on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:27 pm

Desiato wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Re: Colorado, I have a hard time believing that a goalie coach can have this much of an impact in such a short time. Except if his specialty is witchcraft.


I tend to think that having one of the greatest goalies and competitors in NHL history as the head coach may have something to do with both goalies on the team over-achieving.


Because they're afraid of an epic ass-kicking?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,810
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: Fleury is done

Postby meow on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:33 pm

I highly doubt Roy does much, if any, coaching directly with the goaltenders. They have a goalie coach and I would think he is letting him do his job. Roy just implemented a goalie friendly system that helps insulate his goalies. How many times last night could you have through a hula hoop around all 6 Avs players? All they were doing was packing the house and blocking shots.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,447
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Fleury is done

Postby Desiato on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:34 pm

Gaucho wrote:
Desiato wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Re: Colorado, I have a hard time believing that a goalie coach can have this much of an impact in such a short time. Except if his specialty is witchcraft.


I tend to think that having one of the greatest goalies and competitors in NHL history as the head coach may have something to do with both goalies on the team over-achieving.


Because they're afraid of an epic ass-kicking?


Perhaps because he is able to teach some of the mental and preparatory elements that made him so good for so long.
Last edited by Desiato on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,368
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: Fleury is done

Postby Gaucho on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Desiato wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
Desiato wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Re: Colorado, I have a hard time believing that a goalie coach can have this much of an impact in such a short time. Except if his specialty is witchcraft.


I tend to think that having one of the greatest goalies and competitors in NHL history as the head coach may have something to do with both goalies on the team over-achieving.


Because they're afraid of an epic ass-kicking?


Perhaps because he is able to teach some of the mental preparatory elements that made him so good for so long.


Possible. He certainly seems to be doing something right.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,810
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: Fleury is done

Postby Mongoose87 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Didn't they mention during the game that Roy said he leaves goaltending coaching to Allaire?
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,908
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:04 pm
Location: The breakfast table of TRIUMPH!

Re: Fleury is done

Postby tfrizz on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:59 pm

meow wrote:I highly doubt Roy does much, if any, coaching directly with the goaltenders. They have a goalie coach and I would think he is letting him do his job. Roy just implemented a goalie friendly system that helps insulate his goalies. How many times last night could you have through a hula hoop around all 6 Avs players? All they were doing was packing the house and blocking shots.


Mongoose87 wrote:Didn't they mention during the game that Roy said he leaves goaltending coaching to Allaire?


Yup. Which makes sense when you consider that Allaire was Roy's goalie coach for many years.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,649
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: Fleury is done

Postby meow on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:54 pm

tfrizz wrote:
meow wrote:I highly doubt Roy does much, if any, coaching directly with the goaltenders. They have a goalie coach and I would think he is letting him do his job. Roy just implemented a goalie friendly system that helps insulate his goalies. How many times last night could you have through a hula hoop around all 6 Avs players? All they were doing was packing the house and blocking shots.


Mongoose87 wrote:Didn't they mention during the game that Roy said he leaves goaltending coaching to Allaire?


Yup. Which makes sense when you consider that Allaire was Roy's goalie coach for many years.

Did Pierre say this on the NBC feed?

I've often said that goalies make excellent coaches. They see the ice differently than other players. It's a good match.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,447
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: Fleury is done

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:58 pm

They mentioned it a few times, though not as much as "The Penguins are playing a dangerous game!" every time Giggy made a save, and "CROSBY AND MACKINNON ARE FROM COLE HARBOUR GUIZ"
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,538
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dukes2004, lemieuxReturns, ShaPe and 16 guests


e-mail