Pens make 2nd round of cuts, 3rd on Monday

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens make 2nd round of cuts, 3rd on Monday

Postby pcm on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:00 pm

DelPen wrote:
I haven't seen much of preseason to know if sending Sill down is an atrocity or not.

It's not. He looked like he might be able to compete with NHL intensity, but who knows whether that could be maintained for more than 10 games.

It's just another case of axe grinders grinding their axes.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:04 pm

SolidSnake wrote:Shero is just as stupid

Ewwww... that's low. Checking sarcasm meter... tap tap... nope, no reading. GMRS you do not trust???? :pop:
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Penspal wrote:

Ewwww... that's low. Checking sarcasm meter... tap tap... nope, no reading. GMRS you do not trust???? :pop:

I give him credit for all he's done in the past but it's hard for me to let go the 2 year extension to DB, the "priority" of signing Craig Adams on the 1st day of free agency, I don't care how well he's played but the 4 year contract to Dupuis is also hard to stomach. I understand Sid may had a lot to do with it but who's Sid gonna play with when one or both of Kunitz and Dupuis get hurt or retire?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:10 pm

SolidSnake wrote:but who's Sid gonna play with when one or both of Kunitz and Dupuis get hurt or retire?

Beauflex
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:33 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
Penspal wrote:

I give him credit for all he's done in the past but it's hard for me to let go the 2 year extension to DB, the "priority" of signing Craig Adams on the 1st day of free agency, I don't care how well he's played but the 4 year contract to Dupuis is also hard to stomach. I understand Sid may had a lot to do with it but who's Sid gonna play with when one or both of Kunitz and Dupuis get hurt or retire?

I don't have a problem with him resigning Dupuis. If he didn't make that move, who would you replace Pascal with? Anybody they would have brought in through free agency would have been overpaid, or give too much term. That is what happens by definition when you go looking at that group of players. Its valid to argue that Shero and comapny have done a poor job of drafting forwards into the organization. You could argue if they had done a better job in this area then it wouldn't have been necessary to give a 34 yr old a four year deal.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:51 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
Penspal wrote:

Unless some catastrophic injury occurs to Kunitz or Dupuis, they're not going to retire before the end of their contract. They're both in great shape, though Kunitz will probably keep up his trend of missing a handful of games here and there. Also worth mentioning he has played every game the last two seasons and Dupuis rarely misses a game either.

The best thing about keeping those two is their caps really aren't that big, especially with the cap going back up again next year. If they start slowing down or start getting injured, it's no big deal because it isn't like Sid won't continue to produce without them.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:53 pm

pens_CT wrote: who would you replace Pascal with? Anybody they would have brought in through free agency would have been overpaid, or give too much term.

Bennett. Then you go out and sign a guy like Morrow for the 3rd line. Suddenly you have $2m in extra cap space to play with.

Pascal is going to be an expensive 3rd liner when Bennett suceeds him on the depth chart. That said, I'm still happy he's on the team.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:45 pm

pcm wrote:
pens_CT wrote: who would you replace Pascal with? Anybody they would have brought in through free agency would have been overpaid, or give too much term.

Bennett. Then you go out and sign a guy like Morrow for the 3rd line. Suddenly you have $2m in extra cap space to play with.

Pascal is going to be an expensive 3rd liner when Bennett suceeds him on the depth chart. That said, I'm still happy he's on the team.

Morrow is a bad fit on this team, unless HCDB drastically changes his system (doubt that happens). They are a better team with Pacal and Bennett.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:50 pm

the morrow trade was bad start to finish. adams getting 2 years shows a crack in his sensibilities. and glass...ugh. but if those are the worst moves he's made, then that's still pretty great.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:01 pm

I just can't fathom how some people can have such vitriol for the Adams signing. He's signed for the league minimum. If the roster space is needed, he's easily waived. He's experienced enough where if he's in the press box for a stretch, he can come in and still be a factor on the 4th line/penalty kill. He's not taking a spot away from anyone. I just find it funny that people are upset about it. You have 23 spots to fill and only so much money to spend.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:07 pm

I like Adams.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:11 pm

Crankshaft wrote:He's not taking a spot away from anyone. I just find it funny that people are upset about it. You have 23 spots to fill and only so much money to spend.

i'm not losing sleep over it. it just seems definitively lame, so i bring it up. and yeah, he is taking a spot away from a variety of players who are just as cheap and are signed to one less year.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:13 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:He's not taking a spot away from anyone. I just find it funny that people are upset about it. You have 23 spots to fill and only so much money to spend.

i'm not losing sleep over it. it just seems definitively lame, so i bring it up. and yeah, he is taking a spot away from a variety of players who are just as cheap and are signed to one less year.

What's keeping the guys who are signed for one less year being re-signed in the off season?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:21 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

What's keeping the guys who are signed for one less year being re-signed in the off season?

is that what we're talking about? i thought this was about the team that's starting its season next week.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:26 pm

shmenguin wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

is that what we're talking about? i thought this was about the team that's starting its season next week.

You brought it up?

I don't know why one guy's soon-to-be expiring contract is relevant to the discussion. Maybe you can elaborate?

Are you saying that a guy whose contract expires after this season is a better option than Adams because his contract is off the books at the end of the year?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:43 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Are you saying that a guy whose contract expires after this season is a better option than Adams because his contract is off the books at the end of the year?

if someone isn't a fan of adams, then there's no other way to look at it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:47 pm

OK, just wanted to clarify that's what you were going for.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:50 pm

though it's not that it's ideal that you keep your pluggers on one year deals. if you have an effective one, by all means, sign him to something longer term. just in this context, having player X at one year is better than having adams for 2 years.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:57 pm

I can see it being effective in making a guy work for his next deal. However, I guess there's a limit to how long a player is willing to put up with that kind of deal.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:58 pm

MRandall25 wrote:I can see it being effective in making a guy work for his next deal.

I hope you're not talking about Adams. :lol:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby DesertPenguin on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:00 pm

wondermoose wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:
Penspal wrote:

Unless some catastrophic injury occurs to Kunitz or Dupuis, they're not going to retire before the end of their contract. They're both in great shape, though Kunitz will probably keep up his trend of missing a handful of games here and there. Also worth mentioning he has played every game the last two seasons and Dupuis rarely misses a game either.

The best thing about keeping those two is their caps really aren't that big, especially with the cap going back up again next year. If they start slowing down or start getting injured, it's no big deal because it isn't like Sid won't continue to produce without them.

With their cap hits and the expectation that the cap will continue to rise, Kunitz and Dupuis will slide smoothly into 3rd line roles by the end of their contracts without really hurting our cap situation. Bennett will take over for one of them, likely on Crosby's wing, while Neal will remain with Malkin. That does mean in the next few years we should be grooming two more top six wingers to be 3rd wheels in the top six in a few years. The glut of defensemen we have coming up through the system should help us fill those holes.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:01 pm

columbia wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:I can see it being effective in making a guy work for his next deal.

I hope you're not talking about Adams. :lol:

Haha. No, just generally speaking.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:26 am

The twitter indicates that Kobachoo is getting a contract.
Is this true?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby KG on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:53 am

columbia wrote:The twitter indicates that Kobachoo is getting a contract.
Is this true?

I read that they are negotiating a contract. Hopefully they sign him. He's a solid bottom 6 guy...

Team has to be cap compliant by Monday at noon....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:08 am

So we can expect a trade later today or tommorow early?

Sign Kobasew to one year 750-850k deal and let him play bottom 6 minutes..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins