Pens make 2nd round of cuts, 3rd on Monday

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens make 2nd round of cuts, 3rd on Monday

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:19 am

What am I missing? The Pens have to be cap compliant by 3pm today correct? Everything is so silent. Someone big is going to have to go and soon right? There is no way they can be cap compliant by just sending Despres and Bennett down. Just can't understand where all of the speculation is. Guess I am missing something.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:26 am

i'm a big bennett fan, but until we see otherwise from sutter, i don't really think it matters who he plays with. the end result is going to be roughly the same. so sending BB down isn't a big deal for the team's success.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:48 am

Jossi fits perfectly into Genos line. I got to say i like him there more so than Bennette. I don't see Bo as a great 3rd liner if he is going to be up on this team i would want him on one of the top lines. At some point some one will get injured and Bo will be brought up. But i would much rather see Sutter playing with true 3rd liners so they can get their rythem down and grow as a unit.

Jossi will be gone next season and Bo will be with the team full time.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:50 am

What am I missing? The Pens have to be cap compliant by 3pm today correct? Everything is so silent. Someone big is going to have to go and soon right? There is no way they can be cap compliant by just sending Despres and Bennett down. Just can't understand where all of the speculation is. Guess I am missing something.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:51 am

shmenguin wrote:i'm a big bennett fan, but until we see otherwise from sutter, i don't really think it matters who he plays with. the end result is going to be roughly the same. so sending BB down isn't a big deal for the team's success.

Bennett is one of the better defensive forwards on the team. Even if he can;t get a pass from Sutter he will still be a huge asset breaking up plays at our blueline and getting pucks out, if he can chip one past the defender he's off for a breakaway goal.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:53 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:What am I missing? The Pens have to be cap compliant by 3pm today correct? Everything is so silent. Someone big is going to have to go and soon right? There is no way they can be cap compliant by just sending Despres and Bennett down. Just can't understand where all of the speculation is. Guess I am missing something.

They are only $1 million and change over. Bennet and Despres are both around $800K, just need to send the extra forwards down too and they will be about $300K under. If they don't actually want to risk Jeffrey or D'Agostini on waivers they could send Bennett and Despres down today and then put Vokoun and/or Letang on long term IR.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:03 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:What am I missing? The Pens have to be cap compliant by 3pm today correct? Everything is so silent. Someone big is going to have to go and soon right? There is no way they can be cap compliant by just sending Despres and Bennett down. Just can't understand where all of the speculation is. Guess I am missing something.

Deadline got moved back to 5 PM.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:16 am

DelPen wrote:

They are only $1 million and change over. Bennet and Despres are both around $800K, just need to send the extra forwards down too and they will be about $300K under. If they don't actually want to risk Jeffrey or D'Agostini on waivers they could send Bennett and Despres down today and then put Vokoun and/or Letang on long term IR.

I was under the impression a player had to miss a certain % of the season before they could be LTIRed. Shows how closely I follow the CBA....
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:20 am

You can only LTIR if you know the player will be out 24 days or 10 NHL games.

I think it's safe to say Vokoun will reach both those marks.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ville5 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:56 am

MRandall25 wrote:You can only LTIR if you know the player will be out 24 days or 10 NHL games.

I think it's safe to say Vokoun will reach both those marks.

Thanks for clarification.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:01 am

Being "AT" the cap is not a good thing either. If someone gets hurt, short term, you need to replace them. If you are at the cap... you can't.

Shero said he has other options beside a trade to get to cap compliance... but there is a big difference between being compliant and being in a workable situation.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:13 am

For now, compliant is enough.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:21 am

Gaucho wrote:For now, compliant is enough.

Yup, hands could be ties this season, under normal circumstances there would be millions available if it didnt fall so much.

A lot of teams will be in the same situation this year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:28 am

There are 5 teams who are still over the cap, according to CapGeek.

We are #4 on that list.

1. Red Wings
2. Bruins
3. Flyers
4. Us
5. Sharks.

Then there's the Leafs, who only have $65k worth of space, then the Caps with only $125k, etc etc.

http://www.capgeek.com/
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:56 pm

Bruins and Flyers can get easily get under with a few paper transactions and then one LTIR each.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Conner and Ebbett cleared waivers.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:01 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Bruins and Flyers can get easily get under with a few paper transactions and then one LTIR each.

Same with the Pens technically. Pens are $1.1M over. Putting Vokoun on LTIR -$2M, Zatkoff adds $540K, net of -$1.46M. $360K under the cap.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pcm on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:08 pm

For some reason I thought LTIR couldn't be applied until the season started. But it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Vokoun to LTIR + Zatkoff + Kobasew... would put the team at @ 200k over.
Despres should fill in for Letang, but I could see Maata getting a tryout as well. Either both get send down, or it looks like Glass or D'Agostini would need to be waived (or Letang or D'Ag to LTIR).
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:16 pm

pcm wrote:For some reason I thought LTIR couldn't be applied until the season started. But it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Vokoun to LTIR + Zatkoff + Kobasew... would put the team at @ 200k over.
Despres should fill in for Letang, but I couild see Maata getting a tryout as well. Either both get send down, or it looks like Glass or D'Agostini would need to be waived (or Letang or D'Ag to LTIR).

It can't. But teams like the flyers can put non waiver eligible in the minors for a day. Their season starts after the season starts so to speak.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:46 pm

LTIR only gives relief minus available cap space. So to get asc lose to the full amount we would see this:

demote Bennett and Despres now, keep Zatkoff on the NHL roster. That leaves us with about $100K free. Vokoun on LTIR then gives us $1.9 million free. Once he's on then Despres and Bennett come back up which will leave about $250K free. If you want to then sign Kobasew then either D'Agostini or Jeffrey needs to be sent down or Despres stays down. There is also room to try Maatta too for the few games Letang is out if you keep Despres down. Maatta in shielded minutes with Scuderi could be a benefit now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins