Bylsma approval rating poll

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Do you approve of the way DB is handling his job?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes : 82

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby count2infinity on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:42 am

penmyst wrote:Who is judging HCDB by regular season anything?

Try this poll after the Pens next playoff session. That is where HCDB will be judged. This team has enough talent to self-coach it's way into the playoffs with room to spare. HCDB should be judged by his job in the playoffs, even if the current management couldn't care less about performance in crunch time (as demonstrated by HCDB still being around).

It was brought up in a different thread that numerous people would be interested in seeing what the board as a whole thought about our coaching situation. If i'd have thought about it right after the playoffs, I would have done it then, but I didn't.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Can't wait for playoffs to up the dumb level ten fold in this place.

Postby penmyst on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:48 pm

count2infinity wrote:
It was brought up in a different thread that numerous people would be interested in seeing what the board as a whole thought about our coaching situation. If i'd have thought about it right after the playoffs, I would have done it then, but I didn't.

You are not too late, you are too early.

This is a perennial playoff team now. They cannot miss the playoffs unless they lose their entire top 2 lines, both MAF and Vokoun, as well as their first 2 D pairings.

As such, the regular season will tell us nothing about the coach.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dietz on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:11 am

just the fact bylsma was willing to change his system this year gives me hope that he can get pens back...unwilling to change is one reason the pens have had a hard time in playoff runs...voted no but now am leaning toward yes,only time will tell
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:13 am

We've played one team that had a structured defensive system aimed at shutting the team down. We lost 1-0. Enough said.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:15 am

dietz wrote:just the fact bylsma was willing to change his system this year gives me hope that he can get pens back...unwilling to change is one reason the pens have had a hard time in playoff runs...voted no but now am leaning toward yes,only time will tell

Bylsmas "ratings" at the end of the 2012-2013 regular season would have been even better than this poll.
I suspect that his ratings at the end of the 2013-2014 season will be even better.

But... as has been pointed out plenty of times by many many posters, regular season success with this team is expected. I would venture to say that you could hire a Pierre Cramer or Gene Ubriacco and have success with this team in the regular season.

Lets see how we all feel after the playoffs are done.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby slappybrown on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:11 am

thehockeyguru wrote:We've played one team that had a structured defensive system aimed at shutting the team down. We lost 1-0. Enough said.

That's the conclusion you draw from the Avs game? Not that they completely dominated the game and had a goalie stand on their head? The Avs didn't "shut down" the Pens at all, and if they go 0 for 7 on the PP again this season I'll give you a buck. They were not stymied with no answers as was the case in, for example, the Montreal series, or large parts of the Boston series. Aggressively conforming reality to your pre-conceived narrative is fun, but unfulfilling.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:32 pm

Being at the game on monday; were there changes to the power play #4 after failing 3 times?
Changes after #5 power play chance? It is hard to see if the players were in different set ups since the first 3 didn't net a goal. Or did he think we would eventually score with the 8th power play opportunity.
Pens had a chance to think out of the box and start a power play with~ evgeni driving a min/ then Sid.
Heck go with five forwards.......
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:37 pm

No setup change was going to beat Giguere Monday night.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:51 pm

slappybrown wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:We've played one team that had a structured defensive system aimed at shutting the team down. We lost 1-0. Enough said.

That's the conclusion you draw from the Avs game? Not that they completely dominated the game and had a goalie stand on their head? The Avs didn't "shut down" the Pens at all, and if they go 0 for 7 on the PP again this season I'll give you a buck. They were not stymied with no answers as was the case in, for example, the Montreal series, or large parts of the Boston series. Aggressively conforming reality to your pre-conceived narrative is fun, but unfulfilling.

Yeah, this! :thumb: In no way, shape, or form did this game resemble the two aforementioned playoff games / series. Giguere was simply unconcious. Pens owned the puck and the shot attempts. Avs scored on an unlucky deflection. I think you match these two teams up in a 7 game series and the Pens win it 4-1 or 4-2.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:51 pm

MRandall25 wrote:No setup change was going to beat Giguere Monday night.

I would have liked to see a bit more traffic in front of him, it looked too often he got a very clean view of the shooter. But I too was at the game and haven't seen any replays, so that impression could be misfounded and inflated by emotion.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:58 pm

That magic force field. Nothing could be done.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:02 pm

i agree that some vague change in strategy wasn't the answer, but every goalie is beatable, no matter how out of their mind they're playing.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:40 pm

We'll never know will we?

As others have said, it would have been nice to try and get a big body in front.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby no name on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:42 pm

Oddly enough the other night they showed Bylsma and Martin together on the bench and Bylsma wrote notes showed it to Martin and Martin shook his head no like "don't do that". Futher confirming my belief that Bylsma is the bench coach and Martin the schematic coach.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:50 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:
slappybrown wrote:

Yeah, this! :thumb: In no way, shape, or form did this game resemble the two aforementioned playoff games / series. Giguere was simply unconcious. Pens owned the puck and the shot attempts. Avs scored on an unlucky deflection. I think you match these two teams up in a 7 game series and the Pens win it 4-1 or 4-2.

The game was funstrating to watch but in no way should the Pens feel bad about their performance. Gigi played way out of his means, how many times did we shoot the puck right in his glove. Alot of our shots seemed to go right at him. But that is his game, not a great movement goalie but good positioning and Puffs up like a blow fish when the play gets close.

I was happy with tht game, but just fustrated we lost when we had a solid effort.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Beveridge on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:04 pm

no name wrote:Oddly enough the other night they showed Bylsma and Martin together on the bench and Bylsma wrote notes showed it to Martin and Martin shook his head no like "don't do that". Futher confirming my belief that Bylsma is the bench coach and Martin the schematic coach.

ExPatriatePen wrote:As others have said, it would have been nice to try and get a big body in front.

Who do you suggest? I can't think of any big bodies we have that would actually be good in front of the net. We can crash the net and rush the net, but we don't have a big body to just park there and can also be a threat to score. I don't consider Kunitz to be a Ryan Malone type. I think the hope was on Tangradi to do that.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Factorial on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:59 pm

Beveridge wrote:
no name wrote:Oddly enough the other night they showed Bylsma and Martin together on the bench and Bylsma wrote notes showed it to Martin and Martin shook his head no like "don't do that". Futher confirming my belief that Bylsma is the bench coach and Martin the schematic coach.

He didn't include a :pop: so must be serious.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:23 pm

Factorial wrote:
Beveridge wrote:

Dead serious. I just can't figure it out. Why do you hire an accomplished coach like Jacques Martin to play second fiddle to Dan B??? It doesn't add up. Only way i can make sence of this is to think Martin plays a bigger role in the coaching staff than is preceived. Trust me i know i will be made fun of for this but it doesn't make sence to me. I can only figure Dan bench coach and Jacques does the x's and o's. I don't know how much you guys know about Jacques Martin... well like i said it doesn't add up to me.

Only other way i can see this making sence is if Martin just accepted the job to get his name back out there so he can get hired as a head coach again.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:45 pm

You mean you can't see why a GM would add a coach with Martin's experience to a staff led by a guy who has only been coaching for 4 or 5 years?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:46 pm

no name wrote:
Factorial wrote:
Beveridge wrote:

Dead serious. I just can't figure it out. Why do you hire an accomplished coach like Jacques Martin to play second fiddle to Dan B??? It doesn't add up. Only way i can make sence of this is to think Martin plays a bigger role in the coaching staff than is preceived. Trust me i know i will be made fun of for this but it doesn't make sence to me. I can only figure Dan bench coach and Jacques does the x's and o's. I don't know how much you guys know about Jacques Martin... well like i said it doesn't add up to me.

Only other way i can see this making sence is if Martin just accepted the job to get his name back out there so he can get hired as a head coach again.

I suspect it was, Martin wasn't getting nibbles for another HC position, so was interested in an assistant role. He was perfect fit for the team given the concerns that they lapse into defensive ineptitude from time to time, and if I am a coach looking to get a HC job in 2014, the Pens job is probably one of the best to take. There's nothing wrong with Bylsma asking for and receiving advice from his assistants. That's the point of having them.

In terms of the specific occurrence and Martin saying "no", we have no idea what they were talking about. I don't think you can conclude anything from that.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:29 pm

I'd like to see an NFL team without offensive and defensive coordinators.

Spoiler:
Then again, I could just watch the Steelers.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:05 pm

MRandall25 wrote:You mean you can't see why a GM would add a coach with Martin's experience to a staff led by a guy who has only been coaching for 4 or 5 years?

Makes you wonder doesn't it, 4 or 5 year he coaches with no help, now all of a sudden you bring in one of the most accomplished coaches you can find?

Yeah why keep Dan other than the fact the players love him if he can't do the job on his own? Most NHL coaches do it on their own. The assistances listen to the coach. I thnk Dan other than on the bench and in the locker room (infront of the players) takes a good bit of direction from Jacques about how the team should play.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby slappybrown on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:36 pm

no name wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:You mean you can't see why a GM would add a coach with Martin's experience to a staff led by a guy who has only been coaching for 4 or 5 years?

Makes you wonder doesn't it, 4 or 5 year he coaches with no help, now all of a sudden you bring in one of the most accomplished coaches you can find?

Yeah why keep Dan other than the fact the players love him if he can't do the job on his own? Most NHL coaches do it on their own. The assistances listen to the coach. I thnk Dan other than on the bench and in the locker room (infront of the players) takes a good bit of direction from Jacques about how the team should play.

This....what?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins