Bylsma approval rating poll

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Do you approve of the way DB is handling his job?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes : 82

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby Rylan on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:25 pm

So, we are debating based on conjecture? In my estimation there has only been 2 playoff failures. The loss to the Flyers and Bruins were both abysmal, but aside from that...I think its a stretch to blame Bylsma.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:27 pm

So when do you cut the cord then? never? just accept the same thing every season?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:28 pm

It definitely depends on the definition of "failure".
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:29 pm

SolidSnake wrote:So when do you cut the cord then? never? just accept the same thing every season?

Accept what? Losing a playoff series?

It happens to 15 other teams.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:30 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:So when do you cut the cord then? never? just accept the same thing every season?

Accept what? Losing a playoff series?

It happens to 15 other teams.

In theory it happens to 29 other teams if you see the regular season as the round robin it is. And round robins are essentially series.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:33 pm

So in other words, just say it. Byslma will never be fired right? there's never been a reason to fire him. What a moron I've been.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:35 pm

SolidSnake wrote:So in other words, just say it. Byslma will never be fired right? there's never been a reason to fire him. What a moron I've been.

Well, it's either you or Shero. :slug:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:36 pm

SolidSnake wrote:So in other words, just say it. Byslma will never be fired right? there's never been a reason to fire him. What a moron I've been.

Well if that's your takeaway from this discussion, then you said it not me.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:38 pm

Well, I'm just gonna enjoy that regular season. I'm cool with that. Who cares about the playoffs.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kaizer on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:41 pm

maybe you are a moron, i dont know. i wouldnt say that, but i'd definitely say you have no patience. hes in his 5th year as coach, 1 championship, playoff appearances every year. coaches have held their jobs way longer than that while delivering far less.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:43 pm

What in the hell...?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Rylan wrote:So, we are debating based on conjecture? In my estimation there has only been 2 playoff failures. The loss to the Flyers and Bruins were both abysmal, but aside from that...I think its a stretch to blame Bylsma.

That's about the size of it.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:44 pm

sternalot wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:If you don't believe that Bylsma is good enough to get the team to a cup win, then you don't need to supply a replacement. Your answer can be "a rock". This isn't a "you're the gm" thread, its a "do you approve of the coach" thread. its a yes/no question. If your real dream is to hang up regular season champion banners, then he has certainly proven to provide that opportunity year after year, but he has also shown that when he comes up against a coach with a good team that knows how to get their team to change their style to match an opponent's strengths/weaknesses, he has proven that he is done.

The Olympics really have nothing to do with this because you aren't playing 4 straight 7 game series in the olympics, you suit a gameplan to your team and you play it game after game until you're done. He's perfect for the olympic tournament.

He has gotten the team to a cup, so your point is null and void. You wrote a lot of words saying nothing and copping out on the question. Try again please.

I like the tone you have set for yourself. Welcome to the board, enjoy.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:45 pm

I just accepted that he's not going anywhere. The players would take a bullet for Byslma. I don't expect much from this Penguin team anymore.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sternalot on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:52 pm

Coaches should be treated as assets, much like players are treated. This means a coach should be cut when:

(1) There are more highly skilled alternatives
(2) Player-coach dynamic falters
(3) No playoffs

My original post was keying on (1), which no one has successfully addressed. I guess you can hold differing opinions on (3), but I tend to believe you have to be largely irrational expectations to say "Penguins have to win the Eastern Finals or Stanley Cup each year" given the parity in the league. Further, I think the idea of "shaking things up" just to do it is even more irrational. It's not rooted in sound team management. Look at the Flyers. That's why I find (1) and (2) so important.

I just get the sense that there is a lot of misguided hate in a lot of these threads. Again, coaches are assets and when you start fiddling with high profile assets just for the heck of it, you're going to end up with Bruce Boudreau. At that point, we all lose.
sternalot

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:07 pm

Blah blah name a replacement blah blah

Similar things were said, I'm sure, in 2009. No one knew who should have replaced therrien and yet somehow things worked out better after he was fired

It's not much fun spending your free time studying hockey coaches for teams you don't care about. If that's a prerequisite for having an opinion on this matter, I'll abstain from voting, I guess.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sternalot on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:09 pm

shmenguin wrote:Blah blah name a replacement blah blah

Similar things were said, I'm sure, in 2009. No one knew who should have replaced therrien and yet somehow things worked out better after he was fired

It's not much fun spending your free time studying hockey coaches for teams you don't care about. If that's a prerequisite for having an opinion on this matter, I'll abstain from voting, I guess.

RE: 2009

(2) Player-coach dynamic falters
sternalot

Postby Rocco on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:09 pm

Rylan wrote:So, we are debating based on conjecture? In my estimation there has only been 2 playoff failures. The loss to the Flyers and Bruins were both abysmal, but aside from that...I think its a stretch to blame Bylsma.

So of the 4 playoff losses, 2 were disasters. That's pretty close to asking Mrs. Lincoln about the play.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Rocco wrote:

So of the 4 playoff losses, 2 were disasters. That's pretty close to asking Mrs. Lincoln about the play.

Not even close. 2 bad series shouldn't discount the work done in everything else. They are disappointing, but to use them as the sole reason for firing a coach is reactionary and leaves out every other factor that goes into a successful coach.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:18 pm

SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:20 pm

Rylan wrote:
Rocco wrote:

Not even close. 2 bad series shouldn't discount the work done in everything else. They are disappointing, but to use them as the sole reason for firing a coach is reactionary and leaves out every other factor that goes into a successful coach.

Calling those series "bad" is underselling things a bit. You called them "abysmal" at first, which is worse than bad. Losing to Montreal in 7 was bad. Losing to Tampa in 7 was bad. The Pens are at a stage of the developmental cycle where simply getting to the playoffs isn't enough. Bylsma shouldn't get a free pass even though he does both from the front office and the board at large.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ScottishPenguin on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:33 pm

Something that occurred to me about Bylsma recently is that he's still actually pretty new at this. That and he's had unprecedented success which probably stunted his growth as a coach. With Martin in his ear, this could be a breakout year for him.
ScottishPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Geezer on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:43 pm

Regular season he's proven to be a good coach. His teams playoff performances define him. He's the Bill Cowher of the NHL. I don't expect anything in the playoffs with him at the helm;hopefully this may change sometime before Sid, Geno and others are past their prime.
Geezer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:50 pm

Bylsma can guide this team to a perfect 82-0 season and he would have proved nothing. It begins and ends in the playoffs with him and this team.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dietz on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:30 pm

Factorial wrote:
sternalot wrote:I was able to dig my post up in the cache, but not happy with this whole approval process. I understand it helps keep out the trolls, but it doesn't actually help with discourse...anyway....

Can the vocal majority please stand up and give me your alternative for HCDB?

You all seem to exist in this world were there are plentiful defensive strategists out in the hockey world ready to bring a different light to the Pittsburgh bench. This also presumes that said mystical coach will maintain a sufficient level of offense to succeed (see Bruce Boudreau in Washington circa 2011). You seem to believe that the hockey world is being fooled by the sham that is Dan Bylsma, and Pittsburgh is the biggest fool of them all. Surely the Olympic committee has made a mistake. RIGHT?

No one will ever be good enough the dissidents because there is an irrational belief that dynasties are not only possible, but likely in this day in age. This isn't the Canadians or Leafs pre-1960 when they had exclusive territorial rights for prospects. There is parity and systems to maintain it. The haters are setting themselves up for disappointment right away just based on their irrational expectations.

You can all b*tch and moan about how HCDB made no adjustments (debatable mind you), but until anyone has another idea, he continues to be a positive force behind the bench and giving us an opportunity year on year to chase a real dream, another Pittsburgh cup.

Best post on the issue yet. :thumb:
with two of the best five players in the league and their payroll the coach should make the playoffs easily every year
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins