Bylsma approval rating poll

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Do you approve of the way DB is handling his job?

Yes
55
67%
No
27
33%
 
Total votes : 82

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:51 am

I'm pretty sure it was the Wings when they beat the Pens. I'm not sure why that matters though?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,250
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby count2infinity on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:57 am

The assumption many have is if you're a great team in the regular season (and I mean great... not just good) you have to win the cup, or there's something wrong. I'm just saying it's pretty rare for playoffs to play out like predicted. The number of things that you cannot account for are numerous. The general consensus for the "No" votes here is lack of playoff success, yes? Or is it not the lack of success that's the problem, but rather the way the pens have exited the playoffs?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,797
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:59 am

THe No votes have nothing to do with regular season record. It has everything to do with the team having the talent to beat anyone in the playoffs and that they shouldn't be losing composure and getting embarrassed out of the playoffs each year.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,250
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:03 am

The way they've been beaten is the issue. There's too much luck involved to expect to win a cup - even with the best reg season team. But you can't go out like they have in the last 2 years.

And then there's that thing that was said before - this team just isn't good when things get tight in the playoffs. But I think that's as much an issue with our "leaders" as it is with the coach - probably moreso.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 22,841
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:34 pm

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby Factorial on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:18 am

count2infinity wrote:The assumption many have is if you're a great team in the regular season (and I mean great... not just good) you have to win the cup, or there's something wrong. I'm just saying it's pretty rare for playoffs to play out like predicted. The number of things that you cannot account for are numerous. The general consensus for the "No" votes here is lack of playoff success, yes? Or is it not the lack of success that's the problem, but rather the way the pens have exited the playoffs?


Since the 1926-27 season, 40 percent of teams with the best regular season record went on to win the Cup. Of course, the league operated with just six teams for many years until expanding in 1966.


http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/03/27/ ... ood-thing/
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,491
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Gleefully Ignorant

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby count2infinity on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:34 am

shmenguin wrote:The way they've been beaten is the issue. There's too much luck involved to expect to win a cup - even with the best reg season team. But you can't go out like they have in the last 2 years.

And then there's that thing that was said before - this team just isn't good when things get tight in the playoffs. But I think that's as much an issue with our "leaders" as it is with the coach - probably moreso.


This argument, I'm okay with and understand. Again, I would have been just fine seeing Shero give DB the boot last season, but I'm not torn up about it. If the argument is the way they went out, then I can agree that it's disheartening, but if the argument is he hasn't won the cup since '09, then I think it's a failure to fully comprehend the complexity involved in winning a cup.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,797
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:39 am

Who is arguing that he should be gone because hasn't won the cup since '09?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,250
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby dietz on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:46 am

count2infinity wrote:I do enjoy the "cup or nothing" mentality. The number of intangibles that you have to deal with as a team (not just a coach) are incredible, and the parody in this league offers most teams a chance to win the cup just by getting into the playoffs. Honest question: before last year, what team was the last one to be a #1 seed and win the cup?

Chicago last year....4 winners since 2000
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby count2infinity on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:51 am

dietz wrote:
count2infinity wrote:I do enjoy the "cup or nothing" mentality. The number of intangibles that you have to deal with as a team (not just a coach) are incredible, and the parody in this league offers most teams a chance to win the cup just by getting into the playoffs. Honest question: before last year, what team was the last one to be a #1 seed and win the cup?

Chicago last year....4 winners since 2000


So since 2000, 4 have done it as a #1 seed. So about 1/4 (I know the missed season, so not exactly 1/4) of the time a #1 seed wins the cup in recent history. Without looking I was going to guess 15-20% of the time.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 21,797
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: #isitoctoberyet??? Lololololololol

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby farnham16 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:27 pm

Froggy wrote:I don't really consider last year to be a failure. We won like 75% of our regular season games, had the best record in the east for only the 2nd time (pretty sure on that), and made it to the conference finals for only the i believe 7th time. Sure, the way we lost to Boston was clearly less than ideal, and shouldn't be ignored in the evaluation of the season, but it shouldn't negate everything else in the season, either.


If the New York Islanders got average goaltending in that series, they win. The Pens got outplayed in 4 of the 6 games only to be saved by incredible levels of incompetent goaltending. The Islanders were the better team and Bylsma got severely outcoached in that series.

The playoffs were horrible for the Pens last year. I fully understand you can't win the Cup every year, but its the way the Pens play in the postseason under Bylsma that is the concern. The Pens should not have even been in the Conference Finals last year.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,429
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby Rylan on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:50 pm

lol no
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,018
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby newarenanow on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:17 pm

farnham16 wrote:
Froggy wrote:I don't really consider last year to be a failure. We won like 75% of our regular season games, had the best record in the east for only the 2nd time (pretty sure on that), and made it to the conference finals for only the i believe 7th time. Sure, the way we lost to Boston was clearly less than ideal, and shouldn't be ignored in the evaluation of the season, but it shouldn't negate everything else in the season, either.


If the New York Islanders got average goaltending in that series, they win. The Pens got outplayed in 4 of the 6 games only to be saved by incredible levels of incompetent goaltending. The Islanders were the better team and Bylsma got severely outcoached in that series.

The playoffs were horrible for the Pens last year. I fully understand you can't win the Cup every year, but its the way the Pens play in the postseason under Bylsma that is the concern. The Pens should not have even been in the Conference Finals last year.


Pretty much your saying when the Pens win, the other teams suck in the playoffs, and when they lose, the Pens suck, and the other team is not good?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,458
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby newarenanow on Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Who is arguing that he should be gone because hasn't won the cup since '09?


A lot of people that voted no?
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,458
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:01 pm

I voted no, has nothin to do with the binary win/lose result
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,250
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:03 pm

newarenanow wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Froggy wrote:I don't really consider last year to be a failure. We won like 75% of our regular season games, had the best record in the east for only the 2nd time (pretty sure on that), and made it to the conference finals for only the i believe 7th time. Sure, the way we lost to Boston was clearly less than ideal, and shouldn't be ignored in the evaluation of the season, but it shouldn't negate everything else in the season, either.


If the New York Islanders got average goaltending in that series, they win. The Pens got outplayed in 4 of the 6 games only to be saved by incredible levels of incompetent goaltending. The Islanders were the better team and Bylsma got severely outcoached in that series.

The playoffs were horrible for the Pens last year. I fully understand you can't win the Cup every year, but its the way the Pens play in the postseason under Bylsma that is the concern. The Pens should not have even been in the Conference Finals last year.


Pretty much your saying when the Pens win, the other teams suck in the playoffs, and when they lose, the Pens suck, and the other team is not good?


In the case of the last two playoffs, absolutely that has been the case.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,250
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby Great58 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:38 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
newarenanow wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Froggy wrote:I don't really consider last year to be a failure. We won like 75% of our regular season games, had the best record in the east for only the 2nd time (pretty sure on that), and made it to the conference finals for only the i believe 7th time. Sure, the way we lost to Boston was clearly less than ideal, and shouldn't be ignored in the evaluation of the season, but it shouldn't negate everything else in the season, either.


If the New York Islanders got average goaltending in that series, they win. The Pens got outplayed in 4 of the 6 games only to be saved by incredible levels of incompetent goaltending. The Islanders were the better team and Bylsma got severely outcoached in that series.

The playoffs were horrible for the Pens last year. I fully understand you can't win the Cup every year, but its the way the Pens play in the postseason under Bylsma that is the concern. The Pens should not have even been in the Conference Finals last year.


Pretty much your saying when the Pens win, the other teams suck in the playoffs, and when they lose, the Pens suck, and the other team is not good?


In the case of the last two playoffs, absolutely that has been the case.

Boston fits into the "not good" category how exactly?
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,636
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby farnham16 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:27 pm

newarenanow wrote:
farnham16 wrote:
Froggy wrote:I don't really consider last year to be a failure. We won like 75% of our regular season games, had the best record in the east for only the 2nd time (pretty sure on that), and made it to the conference finals for only the i believe 7th time. Sure, the way we lost to Boston was clearly less than ideal, and shouldn't be ignored in the evaluation of the season, but it shouldn't negate everything else in the season, either.


If the New York Islanders got average goaltending in that series, they win. The Pens got outplayed in 4 of the 6 games only to be saved by incredible levels of incompetent goaltending. The Islanders were the better team and Bylsma got severely outcoached in that series.

The playoffs were horrible for the Pens last year. I fully understand you can't win the Cup every year, but its the way the Pens play in the postseason under Bylsma that is the concern. The Pens should not have even been in the Conference Finals last year.


Pretty much your saying when the Pens win, the other teams suck in the playoffs, and when they lose, the Pens suck, and the other team is not good?


Ottawa was a joke when we played them. Spezza and Karlsson were really hurt. That was a very easy series.

In the case of the Islanders series, look, if you don't think the Islanders outplayed the Pens the majority of the time, I don't know what to tell you. To me, they clearly did in 4 out of the 6 games. They were skating all over the Pens. The lone reason they lost, is because Nabokov was absolutely horrible and they had no one else to turn to. The Pens should have lost in the first round last year. That is a huge problem for me and Bylsma can't do anything to gain my trust until the playoffs come and he proves it.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,429
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:50 pm
Location: Trying to get to my game

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby bhaw on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:26 pm

As I pointed out, regardless of why the Islanders series was as challenging as it was, at least the Pens won it. It is the first series since 2009 that the team actually won where the team they played actually put up a fight. I guess that's something positive. Every other team that put up resistance ended up winning the series. MTL, TB, PHI, BOS.

The part that's been said that some don't like to acknowledge is that the win/loss of the series isn't the issue. It was the team going nuclear in the PHI series, the NYI exposing us (with their coach literally calling out in an interview how to beat the Pens), and BOS completely shutting down our offense to a historically ineffective performance.

The PHI was a historically bad series. But what amazes me is that people seem to dismiss/ignore/not know that in NHL history, we had the 2nd least goals in a playoff series of ANY team vs Boston. The only team that had less were the Wild in 2003. And I know for a fact they did not have Malkin, Crosby, Letang, and Neal (for those taking this literally, I'm saying their talent level was significantly lower).

Pin the blame where you will, but I'm not super comfortable with my team breaking NHL records for bad reasons. So it's not that we didn't win the Cup. It's that we have turned in 2 performances that are nearly unmatched in how bad the team did. And for the next person to whine about how all the DB "haters" are absurd... realize that you look just as absurd going to great lengths to support a coach (and tell people how wrong they are for disliking him) who is factually just off from making NHL history the last 2 years because we couldn't get to our game.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby Froggy on Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:56 pm

I blame Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and Letang more for Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and Letang not scoring than Bylsma.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,731
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby bhaw on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:00 am

Froggy wrote:I blame Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and Letang more for Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and Letang not scoring than Bylsma.


you're entitled to.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: From Hockey Siberia to Hockey Hell

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby ffemtreed on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:31 am

Before the season started I would have voted No, get rid of him. Having seen he actually is now willing to adapt and change his schemes up I am giving him my vote of confidence for now. If he fails in the playoffs again, its game over for me.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,764
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:32 pm
Location: Wilmington, NC

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby newarenanow on Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:36 am

Idoit40fans wrote:In the case of the last two playoffs, absolutely that has been the case.


OK.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 41,458
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby Rocco on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:16 am

Froggy wrote:I blame Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and Letang more for Crosby, Malkin, Neal, and Letang not scoring than Bylsma.


Sure, however it's a lot tougher to get rid of Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Letang.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 36,058
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby RxBandit66 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:09 pm

Team toughness, composure, grit, and discipline has eroded ever since MT left. The power play was never great under Bylsma. The PK was great only for one stretch, and that year it crumbled in the playoffs. His decision to put Sid out there with a 7-1 lead against Tampa, after he was hit in the head the game prior in the Winter Classic, was not one of his brighter moments. He never has been able to use time outs effectively. He buries younger players on the bench or puts them in positions which threatens to stunt their development. He favors players who are grinders with no upside. His "benching" of Kovalev (over 400 career goals) in the dying minutes of the 2011 playoff vs. Tampa, with his team on a power play, in favor of Letestu was baffling. Bylsma is 20-21 in the postseason after 2009. Aside from one great stretch in 2012, Malkin hasn't been the same player during his tenure as head coach, neither has Fleury.

Other than those things, Bylsma is good to go :)
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,846
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:49 am
Location: Kittanning

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby penmyst on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Who is judging HCDB by regular season anything?

Try this poll after the Pens next playoff session. That is where HCDB will be judged. This team has enough talent to self-coach it's way into the playoffs with room to spare. HCDB should be judged by his job in the playoffs, even if the current management couldn't care less about performance in crunch time (as demonstrated by HCDB still being around).
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,369
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Greyhound65, jcgopens and 21 guests


e-mail