Bylsma approval rating poll

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Do you approve of the way DB is handling his job?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes : 82

Re: Bylsma approval rating poll

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Payroll? Payroll doesnt mean squat. The Flyers are a perfect example of that.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:35 pm

sternalot wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Blah blah name a replacement blah blah

Similar things were said, I'm sure, in 2009. No one knew who should have replaced therrien and yet somehow things worked out better after he was fired

It's not much fun spending your free time studying hockey coaches for teams you don't care about. If that's a prerequisite for having an opinion on this matter, I'll abstain from voting, I guess.

RE: 2009

(2) Player-coach dynamic falters

That's neato, but that's not the point. This thing about not being able to name a replacement, therefore he's head coach until you can is junk.

We aren't responsible for scouting other coaches.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:26 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Payroll? Payroll doesnt mean squat. The Flyers are a perfect example of that.

Okay, so it appears you've focused in on one of his two points. No comment on the other one though?
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Rylan on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:32 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Payroll? Payroll doesnt mean squat. The Flyers are a perfect example of that.

Okay, so it appears you've focused in on one of his two points. No comment on the other one though?

So its back to Bylsma can only fail and can never succeed?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:35 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:

I've already touched on it previously ITT (or the other one):

Mario-Jagr-Stevens-Francis-Murphy-Barrasso only won 2 Cups together. Just because you can throw a bunch of good players together doesn't mean they'll win (and there are many more examples through the history of the league than the current and former Pens).
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:44 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:

I've already touched on it previously ITT (or the other one):

Mario-Jagr-Stevens-Francis-Murphy-Barrasso only won 2 Cups together. Just because you can throw a bunch of good players together doesn't mean they'll win (and there are many more examples through the history of the league than the current and former Pens).

Well what Dietz said was make the playoffs every year, not win the cup every year... which the aforementioned team did
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:53 pm

My bad.

My point still stands. In terms of being a good or bad team, the payroll typically means squat. Lots of teams can spend money. Doesn't mean they spend it wisely.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:11 pm

MRandall25 wrote:My bad.

My point still stands. In terms of being a good or bad team, the payroll typically means squat. Lots of teams can spend money. Doesn't mean they spend it wisely.

Yeah, i know. But his other point was that a team with Crosby and Malkin on it should make the playoffs every season regardless of the coach. Which you seemingly ignored because it didn't play into your pro-bylsma argument.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:15 pm

So I have to post that I acknowledged it? You can't just assume I did?

Nitpicking a little, aren't we?

And even then, just having Malkin and Crosby won't get you to the playoffs. The 1993-94 Kings are the prime example. Gretzky-Robitaille-Kurri was one of the premier forward sets outside of the Pens at that time, and they missed the playoffs.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby farnham16 on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:44 pm

This thread is completely pointless right now. Nothing matters until the post season.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:57 pm

I don't really consider last year to be a failure. We won like 75% of our regular season games, had the best record in the east for only the 2nd time (pretty sure on that), and made it to the conference finals for only the i believe 7th time. Sure, the way we lost to Boston was clearly less than ideal, and shouldn't be ignored in the evaluation of the season, but it shouldn't negate everything else in the season, either.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:08 am

Froggy wrote:I don't really consider last year to be a failure. We won like 75% of our regular season games, had the best record in the east for only the 2nd time (pretty sure on that), and made it to the conference finals for only the i believe 7th time. Sure, the way we lost to Boston was clearly less than ideal, and shouldn't be ignored in the evaluation of the season, but it shouldn't negate everything else in the season, either.

I had something similar typed out but hadn't submitted. I agree with this sentiment.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dietz on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:17 am

Froggy wrote:I don't really consider last year to be a failure. We won like 75% of our regular season games, had the best record in the east for only the 2nd time (pretty sure on that), and made it to the conference finals for only the i believe 7th time. Sure, the way we lost to Boston was clearly less than ideal, and shouldn't be ignored in the evaluation of the season, but it shouldn't negate everything else in the season, either.

but everybody crucifies fleury for same record, they say any goalie can win with this team in regular season but I can't say that about bylsma
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:19 am

My main concern with last season was not that we lost...that may or may not have been preventable. The way we lost was preventable. That's a red flag to me. I had a major problem with that. And my feelings on HCDB are fairly balanced, I feel. So balanced that, to date, I've abstained from voting in the poll because I honestly couldn't answer the question. The most accurate option for me would probably be "Yes, but..."

The addition of Jacques Martin will hopefully make the coaching staff as a whole better and, hence, the team better. I like what I've seen here early on, hopefully it continues into the postseason*...

* - in the fairly likely event that we are invited to participate in the tournament.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dietz on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:20 am

who kicked our ass two years ago
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:22 am

dietz wrote:

but everybody crucifies fleury for same record, they say any goalie can win with this team in regular season but I can't say that about bylsma

... huh?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:22 am

dietz wrote:

And missed the playoffs last year, with an even higher payroll.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:24 am

mikey287 wrote:My main concern with last season was not that we lost...that may or may not have been preventable. The way we lost was preventable. That's a red flag to me. I had a major problem with that. And my feelings on HCDB are fairly balanced, I feel. So balanced that, to date, I've abstained from voting in the poll because I honestly couldn't answer the question. The most accurate option for me would probably be "Yes, but..."

The addition of Jacques Martin will hopefully make the coaching staff as a whole better and, hence, the team better. I like what I've seen here early on, hopefully it continues into the postseason*...

* - in the fairly likely event that we are invited to participate in the tournament.

I wanted an apathetic option.

Jacques Martin helps bring more experience in a system that will help the Pens moving forward. Add in his experience as an NHL head coach and the whole staff gets better. It wasn't a shot fired by Shero so much as it was a chance to make the Penguins better.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dietz on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:27 am

MRandall25 wrote:
dietz wrote:

And missed the playoffs last year, with an even higher payroll.

and fired their coach because they missed the playoffs so you made my point that a GOOD coach should make the playoffs with a high payroll
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rylan on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:28 am

So Bylsma is a good coach?
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:31 am

MRandall25 wrote:
dietz wrote:

... huh?

I think he's saying that we won't make the playoffs with Bylsma in goal?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:04 am

I'm leaving it at this... I'll enjoy watching the regular season success, but I have no expectations for the playoffs. I know that if they are matched up vs a bad team, we will win the playoff series. I also know that if we face a coach with some talent and a good system, we will lose.

Since the cup, the only series we have won where we were challenged was the NYI series last year. And it was absurd that we were even pushed to where we were. Every other series where the team posed a challenge to us (didn't fold after 1 game) has been lost.

Philly and Boston were just exaggeration of the issues this team has not been able to overcome. Of course, every year there is an excuse that the team failed. And it's usually because people want to look at the symptom and not the cause. The team, in the last 4 years, has adopted what I hated about the Capitals and the Flyers in previous years... excuse makers who don't take accountability for their actions. Our coach is one of those culprits. He refuses to take accountability.

I'm at peace with this though. We are one of the most exciting teams to watch in the regular season. That's what we are happy with and will be status quo. The team will make money off this model and will be able to continue to spend to the cap. They are great business decisions.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:42 am

Rylan wrote:

I had something similar typed out but hadn't submitted. I agree with this sentiment.

Being that you're from Maryland, it makes sense that winning the conference in the regular season is good with you.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dietz on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:47 am

Rylan wrote:So Bylsma is a good coach?

yes he is good enough to make the playoffs that is a fact because they have but my opinion of bylsma is he gets outcoached in playoff series and doesn't adjust (boston,philly, and montreal)
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby count2infinity on Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:48 am

I do enjoy the "cup or nothing" mentality. The number of intangibles that you have to deal with as a team (not just a coach) are incredible, and the parody in this league offers most teams a chance to win the cup just by getting into the playoffs. Honest question: before last year, what team was the last one to be a #1 seed and win the cup?
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins