The Pens Need to Follow the Pirates Lead...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

The Pens Need to Follow the Pirates Lead...

Postby netwolf on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:57 pm

In the print edition of today's PG, the Pirates ran a full page, black and white ad for their upcoming season. It basically was a timeline of this past offseason with a quick-hit, 1-2 line description of each FA signing, trade, mgmt move, etc.

The Pens need to pony up some money and take out a full page ad of their own, with the same concise, easy-to-read style that details all the reasons why their plan is the best. It would also be a good idea to mention how the impact studies are currently being witheld from the public.

Does anyone have any idea what an ad like that would run? And no, I'm not offering to pay, just curious. :wink:

Viva la Francis!
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:00 pm

I don't know, but thats a good idea.

I suppose even the fans could share in the cost of making their own ad, asking for support for the penguins and such.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

black and white ad in PG.

Postby FuturePens on Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:57 pm

Not much for a organization like that, probably a few thousand dollars I would think, don't know specific details.
FuturePens
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: black and white ad in PG.

Postby Daniel on Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:41 pm

FuturePens wrote:Not much for a organization like that, probably a few thousand dollars I would think, don't know specific details.

Doing a bit of research, Firefox wanted to get a full page ad in the New York Times and it costs about $100,000 to put a full page ad. I imagine the PG would be close to that, though not that much.

I found another website talking about billboards and said a full page ad costs about $25,000.
Daniel
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:47 am

The New York Times is available in every major city through out the world. The PG is not. So I doubt the cost is even close to $100,000 for a full page ad. It is probably more near the $25,000 range that the website suggested.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: The Pens Need to Follow the Pirates Lead...

Postby dboss on Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:57 am

netwolf wrote:In the print edition of today's PG, the Pirates ran a full page, black and white ad for their upcoming season. It basically was a timeline of this past offseason with a quick-hit, 1-2 line description of each FA signing, trade, mgmt move, etc.

The Pens need to pony up some money and take out a full page ad of their own, with the same concise, easy-to-read style that details all the reasons why their plan is the best. It would also be a good idea to mention how the impact studies are currently being witheld from the public.

Does anyone have any idea what an ad like that would run? And no, I'm not offering to pay, just curious. :wink:

Viva la Francis!

To be honest, I can't understand why the Pens haven't done this already. Like they were saying at the rally on the 4th, they need to let people know 'IT'S FREE!!!!'.
dboss
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ExPatriatePen on Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:54 am

Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:The New York Times is available in every major city through out the world. The PG is not. So I doubt the cost is even close to $100,000 for a full page ad. It is probably more near the $25,000 range that the website suggested.

Not even. The circulation of the NYT is over 50x that of the PG.

Interestingly enough, the PG has one of the highest ratios of hits on their website to circulation number. In other words, they get more hits on the website per copy of the physical newspaper sold than nearly any other newspaper published. (If I remember right, only the Washington post had a higher ratio)

The cost of a full page ad in the a weekday PG is probably closer to 10K. 25K if you're doing a four color spread.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins