OFFICIAL(Emergency) GDT: 10/12/13 PENS at Bolts

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: OFFICIAL(Emergency) GDT: 10/12/13 PENS at Bolts

Postby Shakes on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:01 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Shakes wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
Why not just blow the whistle?

The player is not "in distress" from an injury, so you don't like to blow the whistle there...there's no real obligation to blow the whistle there either. In fact, I would have a problem if they blew the whistle for that. You can leave the player there until he's offside or there's another stoppage, or you can give him a shove and try to keep the play going. I'm pretty all right with the decision made, I thought it was proper. But I only had one look at it.

Fair enough. Not that big deal really. But to me, if it was a safety issue, and there is no scoring chance, just blow it. Otherwise, as you said, he wasn't in distress, so let him hobble around or get help from a teammate if you don't want to blow it.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:14 pm

I've learned (well, from one source at least) that I'm incorrect. It would have been okay to blow the whistle. The player is in distress, that's enough to warrant a stoppage. Doesn't need to be an injury per se. Judgment call (naturally, it's officiating), but it would have been okay to blow the whistle for that. My apologies, good call on your part.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:53 pm

:thumb:
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ghscott on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:09 pm

Long time lurker, first post. Just got back from the game, live in Tampa now but grew up in The Burgh. We got there about an hour early to watch warm ups. During warm ups, Malone was getting very close to the pens side doing large circles on the ice. He kept on getting closer and closer to Malkin. He the skated right by him and slapped him on the gloves, Malkin was pissed. Pens came out with Malkin, Glass and Adams knowing Malone would be on the first shift...just my 2 cents on why the fight happened so quick...Malkin was visibly pissed after that during warm up.
ghscott

Postby sniper on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:10 pm

I don't know how anyone can argue that Stamkos having a broken skate blade was a safety issue. Who is injured or about to be injured? Nobody. As far as him not being able to get off the ice I disagree. He was as able to get off the ice as the Boston player who killed a penalty with a broken leg last year. Heck I think Alfreddson (might not of been him) also broke a skate blade last year and hopped with one leg and was able to propel himself off the ice at a fairly good pace. I don't think the Ref should have pushed him off the ice. I also don't think the ref should have blown the whistle. I think they should have left him figure it out himself or let one of his teammates push him off. They had an extra guy on the ice and the puck.

Now with that said I had less of a problem with the ref helping him off the ice and more of a problem with the super soft Kunitz hook and Maatta interference call made. Both of those penalties happen 10+ times a game and never get called. The Kunitz penalty in particular looked a lot like a ref trying to get the team that's down back into the game. Then when the Stamkos push is added to that, it looks real bad. If Tampa doesn't score and that soft penalty isn't called I doubt many people are complaining much about the push. I do think I've seen a ref help a player off the ice before. I think it was after a player got drilled and he was attempt to skate to the bench but couldn't. The ref or linesman helped make sure he got back to the bench ok. He wasn't too far from it by the time the official go there though.

Besides all that stuff the Penguins didn't play well defensively again. They kept the shots down, but Fleury didn't have a chance on any of those goals. Far too many turnovers. Also Bennett's ice to is rather peculiar. He was one of their better defensive players last year. Maybe he isn't feeling well. I can't understand why he wouldn't be getting ice time otherwise.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:50 am

BB played 6 minutes,injured or benched?

Good games from Sid,GW from Nisky.. :thumb:
So what happens when Letang is back?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby rgj on Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:39 am

Though the Pens won.....there were way too many defensive lapses, I cringed every time TB had the puck in our end. I really cannot fault Fleury on the goals (except maybe one)....he had no support in front of him. The Pens exhibited a tremendous knack for turning the puck over at center ice that has killed them in the playoffs for the past 4 years. They still have no answer. I just hate that "drop-back" pass....either we don't know how to do it, or our stealthy ways are quite well known now to the rest of the league.

Overall, I'll give the Pens a B-. I saw some aggressiveness and mojo that was good to see.....
rgj
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:25 am

It's worth noting that errey has more of a gauge on this than any of us, and he was flipping out. And while he has a little inherit bias here, I think his reaction showed it was certainly an uncommon thing at best.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:32 am

ghscott wrote:Long time lurker, first post. Just got back from the game, live in Tampa now but grew up in The Burgh. We got there about an hour early to watch warm ups. During warm ups, Malone was getting very close to the pens side doing large circles on the ice. He kept on getting closer and closer to Malkin. He the skated right by him and slapped him on the gloves, Malkin was pissed. Pens came out with Malkin, Glass and Adams knowing Malone would be on the first shift...just my 2 cents on why the fight happened so quick...Malkin was visibly pissed after that during warm up.

'
Thanks for sharing, I was wondering what caused that.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:50 am

That Stamkos incident was pretty sketchy.
I think it was an honest mistake by the ref, but he really should have blown the whistle.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby topshelf on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:38 am

Shakes wrote:
ghscott wrote:Long time lurker, first post. Just got back from the game, live in Tampa now but grew up in The Burgh. We got there about an hour early to watch warm ups. During warm ups, Malone was getting very close to the pens side doing large circles on the ice. He kept on getting closer and closer to Malkin. He the skated right by him and slapped him on the gloves, Malkin was pissed. Pens came out with Malkin, Glass and Adams knowing Malone would be on the first shift...just my 2 cents on why the fight happened so quick...Malkin was visibly pissed after that during warm up.

'

Yeah... thanks for sharing. That's pretty interesting. I guess the lines of friendship between Geno and Malone are long gone.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:45 am

columbia wrote:That Stamkos incident was pretty sketchy.
I think it was an honest mistake by the ref, but he really should have blown the whistle.

IMO, its more egregious than a bad call; The Bolts are on the PP, and a Referee helps a player with an equipment issue in the middle of a live play? Is it OK for a ref to pick up a players stick and hand it to him? They use the 'distress' policy to blow a whistle when a goalie's helmet comes off...

Had it affected the outcome of the game, it would be a bigger issue. Hockey Gods took care of it when Panik took the mother of all stupid penalities. Anyone else see John Cooper on the bench when Panik went to the box? Would not be shocked if he was not in the lineup for their next game.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Shakes on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:02 am

topshelf wrote:
Yeah... thanks for sharing. That's pretty interesting. I guess the lines of friendship between Geno and Malone are long gone.

Bugsy probably got pissed becaue Geno forgot who we was. :lol:

Also, I'm sure this has been said, but imagine the amount of butthurt if the Stamkos play had happened to Sid. :shock:
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:16 am

Best first post ever?

Welcome to the board.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby topshelf on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:42 am

Shakes wrote:
topshelf wrote:

Bugsy probably got pissed becaue Geno forgot who we was. :lol:

Also, I'm sure this has been said, but imagine the amount of butthurt if the Stamkos play had happened to Sid. :shock:

The fallout would have forced me to avoid message boards and blogs for weeks.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:46 am

Phil Bourque reacted as shocked as Bob Errey did regarding ref aid to stamkos. A generational thing-old school. I figure these things balance out in the way of the world.
Sid long is use to the unfair spotlight and judgement that comes in being Sid. Social media explodes with the so-called cover shot of ref helping Sid to bench.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:48 am

where's 24/7 with the camera in the officials locker room after that one. Would love to hear the explanation of the referee.

(Anyone else remember when the whistle did not blow immediately for Fleury's mask coming off & goal was subsequently scored against, vs Caps I think? If they're not going to blow dead for a goalie mask, which is proscribed, I see why they wouldn't blow dead here -- but the overt aid and resulting interference with Martin probably should have caused as whistle. Instead, the ref's mistake was compounded by the result of the play.

If the ref does nothing, Tampa comes in offside and causes its own whistle. So a whistle earlier for Stamkos nominally helps Tampa preserve Powerplay time, and saves boatloads if Stamkos takes forever to get back to the bench ON HIS OWN. Really only works out for Tampa because of the interference, combined with the Pens not accounting for the kid coming off of the bench.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:41 am

Shakes wrote:

'

I can respect Adams for that
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:47 am

They looked like good buddies afterwards. I'd label this as a staged fight.

And thus...quite lame
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shakes on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:36 am

It was certainly staged, but that was a pretty good bout.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:39 am

shmenguin wrote:It's worth noting that errey has more of a gauge on this than any of us, and he was flipping out. And while he has a little inherit bias here, I think his reaction showed it was certainly an uncommon thing at best.

I am inclined to agree. Obviously Errey has a bit of bias, but I think he is generally far more impartial and in touch with these sorts of things than Steigy is.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:03 pm

Pens4Life wrote:BB played 6 minutes,injured or benched?

Good games from Sid,GW from Nisky.. :thumb:
So what happens when Letang is back?

Benched.

That'll teach him for trying to expand his game and try beating defenders one-on-one more. Get that creativity outta there. At least Dupuis and Kobasew both had 3 more minutes of even strength ice time than Malkin did, so you know we're on the right track as far as coaching goes. :face:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Bennett's fun to watch, but he needed checked by the coaching staff last night. Not glued to the bench, necessarily. But something. He was going a little too far with what he was trying out there. It's all part of the process of getting him balanced.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:26 pm

I talked to another veteran ref today (had been in the pros for decades) and he told me that that required some quick thinking and that he would have done the same thing with Stamkos. Obviously, citing the same concern for safety and, secondarily, game flow.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:38 pm

mikey287 wrote:I talked to another veteran ref today (had been in the pros for decades) and he told me that that required some quick thinking and that he would have done the same thing with Stamkos. Obviously, citing the same concern for safety and, secondarily, game flow.

If safety was the concern, Tampa with possession should be plenty grounds for a whistle, since there wasn't an imminent scoring threat on the Tampa net.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins