did penguins prices pass demand

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

did penguins prices pass demand

Postby dietz on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:26 am

looks like ticket prices finally caught up to demand...you can still buy tickets for almost any game on ticketmaster...does this mean more student rush tickets to keep the sellout streak going???
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby dietz on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:28 am

you can buy tickets on ticketexchange for less than regular ticketmaster and some are below season ticket prices
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:32 am

Why did prices go up if salary went down, considerably? There is no rule that says that prices need to increase each year...
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:40 am

Not this again...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:42 am

I got to park right in front of the TGIF door for a game. It cost me $0.25 to park (to get the "meter" past 6pm). It is amazing hope happy that makes you.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:46 am

Rylan wrote:Not this again...
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Kovy27 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:25 am

STUDENT RUSH RULEZ!
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:28 am

Do the Penguins have a ticket controversey?
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:32 am

looks like ticket prices finally caught up to demand...you can still buy tickets for almost any game from a scalper on the street...does this mean more student rush tickets to keep the sellout streak going???
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Factorial on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:33 am

DropEmJayBird wrote:looks like ticket prices finally caught up to demand...you can still buy tickets for almost any game from a scalper on the street...does this mean more student rush tickets to keep the sellout streak going???

Yes.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:52 am

Hate to break the news but student rush has been keeping the streak alive for 2 seasons at least.

Beyond prices you get a ton less than other NHL and NBA arenas especially in corporate areas with those prices and what is included so the overall evening is more expensive.

It's been slowly catching up with them but last year was pretty bad. Not scalping but just trying to dump some tickets at season rate for a game you couldn't make wasn't just easy.

This year the scale has noticeably tipped.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:01 am

Season tickets aren't stock to be bought and sold. If you buy season tickets with the expectation to sell games you can't go to to make a profit or to break even, you're going to have a bad time. What you're looking at is the market leveling off and being normal.

Also, the Student Rush isn't some cheap ploy to hype the sell out streak. It's a marketing plan to sustain a season ticket base that they're building. Why do people still complain about this and not see this?
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:10 am

And yet I still have trouble getting 4 seats together for a decent price.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:12 am

My mom has season tickets, and generally, I'd say family members go to 15-20 games a year. She'll sell the rest or give to them friends or clients as gifts. The past couple years, it hasn't been a problem to offload tickets on the ticket exchange even at the last minute for face value. Now, some one game already just didn't sell, so she ended up giving the tickets to an employee. So, I think demand is definitely softer to start this season than it has been in a while. As others mention above, this is likely the new normal as the hype from the Cup runs subsides.

Of course, the Pens haven't had any marquee match-ups yet, and even casual fans know that games don't get more important until at least January/February.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:16 am

Crankshaft wrote:Season tickets aren't stock to be bought and sold. If you buy season tickets with the expectation to sell games you can't go to to make a profit or to break even, you're going to have a bad time. What you're looking at is the market leveling off and being normal.

Also, the Student Rush isn't some cheap ploy to hype the sell out streak. It's a marketing plan to sustain a season ticket base that they're building. Why do people still complain about this and not see this?

Student rush is both. of course it's a great marketing plan, every team does it. But pens use it to fill a ton of empty seats too. My section is like a student rush section over half the time. If you think it's just marketing just probably haven't taken in a lot of games this has happened.

Nobody is saying its a stock or the like but going to 20 - 40 games is tough for most people. Sometimes we just need to dump a few games. Not for profit but nothing wrong with no eating $200 in unused tickets

I think that is used for the sake of examples anyways and not complaints on not making money by scalping. If there are tickets online and some season tickets holders have a hard time dropping the 5 games they can't make plus you are are seeing thousands of students - it's going to be discussed. That's all.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kharlamov on Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:50 am

I walked up to the ticket office a week before the home opener and bought 4 seats together at face value. Was pretty surprising.
Kharlamov
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crankshaft on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:42 am

Kharlamov wrote:I walked up to the ticket office a week before the home opener and bought 4 seats together at face value. Was pretty surprising.

That's not too surprising. Pro teams hold seats until day of the game a lot of the time for sponsorship or league requirements or for employees. Then if the tickets aren't being used, they get released.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:43 am

Rylan wrote:Not this again...
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jopaz on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:51 am

Price may not be the issue, it probably is that there are too many other options for fans to spend their money on. Last year was an exception due to the shortened season. Historically, demand was usually light in the early season up until around Thanksgiving. There was always competition from football and this year even the Pirates had the fans' interest.

An average fan might say: will I spend $100 a ticket to see the Pens? Yes, but for that $100 I will try to go and see the Flyers or Rangers on a weekend, not Carolina on a Tuesday night. Would he pay $75 to see Carolina on a Tuesday? Maybe, but he might still prefer to pay more for a "better" game.

I think the Pens might eventually end up using a tiered pricing model where the rivalry games and weekend games will cost more than other games. Some teams do this already, and even the Pirates are going to charge more for Saturday games and key matchups (like the Red Sox) next year. This would better align price with demand on a game-by-game basis. It is really the same principle as student rush - lower price tickets are available for games with less demand.
Jopaz
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DropEmJayBird on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:54 am

DeY Took Our JOOOOOOOBBBBBSSSSSS
DropEmJayBird
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:55 am

does mark recchi cover his tickets of the ice and then on the ice when his wallet flips of his tickets is exposed ala Newman asking to try on a new seat recently bought from a flea market while trying to pick up a woman complimenting the tickets
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Just stop.....
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Crankshaft wrote:Also, the Student Rush isn't some cheap ploy to hype the sell out streak. It's a marketing plan to sustain a season ticket base that they're building. Why do people still complain about this and not see this?

Not really as they do not check student IDs when getting the tickets. My 36 year old coworker gets rush tickets quite often. If it was a marketing plan they would make sure that only students used it AND they would market ticket packages to the students as maybe 20% would be graduating and therefore not eligible next year. I really don't care what they do and I am not complaining about the program AT ALL, but you should call an apple an apple.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Jopaz wrote:Price may not be the issue, it probably is that there are too many other options for fans to spend their money on. Last year was an exception due to the shortened season. Historically, demand was usually light in the early season up until around Thanksgiving. There was always competition from football and this year even the Pirates had the fans' interest.

An average fan might say: will I spend $100 a ticket to see the Pens? Yes, but for that $100 I will try to go and see the Flyers or Rangers on a weekend, not Carolina on a Tuesday night. Would he pay $75 to see Carolina on a Tuesday? Maybe, but he might still prefer to pay more for a "better" game.

I think the Pens might eventually end up using a tiered pricing model where the rivalry games and weekend games will cost more than other games. Some teams do this already, and even the Pirates are going to charge more for Saturday games and key matchups (like the Red Sox) next year. This would better align price with demand on a game-by-game basis. It is really the same principle as student rush - lower price tickets are available for games with less demand.

The Caps have 4 price levels: Red, White, Blue and Gold. Same seats, but the gold games average about 64% higher price than Red level games. The scale slides depending on opponent and day of the week. So, Columbus on a Tuesday $60; same seat for Pittsburgh $98.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jim on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins