did penguins prices pass demand

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby Rylan on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:25 pm

I must be looking in the wrong places because the prices are still high IMO.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:28 pm

knives of ice wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Like I said, we've had no problem selling our tickets for face value. I don't know what you guys are doing, but it probably isn't working.

its tough to get face in the lower level for games thus far. uppers are a different story.

Our seats are in 118 :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Factorial wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Factorial wrote:Why not drop the season tickets and buy tickets on the secondary market as that appears to be a better deal?

Thats what I'm struggling with right now, the biggest reason is first right of refusal to playoff tickets and to my seats in the future when they fire bylsma and compete for a cup again. :pop:

Exactly, and for those two reasons STH's shouldn't expect to get face value at this time of the year or against weak competition.

This thread is about demand being down right now. Not getting face value right now is a symptom of that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Rylan wrote:I must be looking in the wrong places because the prices are still high IMO.

You must be shopping from the wrong sellers in this thread. :pop:

Are you the one who bought my Canucks tickets? :scared:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimreb on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:05 pm

I don't know if Penguin prices have passed demand, but I just picked up two Pens-Flyers tix for tomorrow night in Philly $27 each($95 face). It looks like Flyers prices have passed demand.
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby dietz on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:11 am

MRandall25 wrote:Like I said, we've had no problem selling our tickets for face value. I don't know what you guys are doing, but it probably isn't working.

Where are you selling your tickets? Ticket exchange weekday games are below sth price in double attack upper bowl
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dietz on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:15 am

Rylan wrote:I must be looking in the wrong places because the prices are still high IMO.

Go on ticketexchange on pens website because tickets for opener the day of game were 39 dollars each in upper bowl
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:18 am

dietz wrote:

Where are you selling your tickets? Ticket exchange weekday games are below sth price in double attack upper bowl

Either Stubhub or people my dad works with
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jimreb on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:24 am

www.seatgeek.com will list tickets from most of the major ticket sites.
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:14 pm

Ticketexchange sales may be a poor way to assess demand for tickets. I was searching for 2 additional tickets for the Toronto game in November. But the attached charges of $20/seat made it cheaper for me to buyt them directly from Ticketmaster, even though Ticketexchange had a lower asking price. So if you're having a difficult time selling on Ticketexchange, it may be more a matter of their surcharges than lack of interest in the tickets.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shaky Walton on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Go buy an 80" Hi Def TV and you will never go to a live game again Beer at home 50 Cents, no idiot drunks to deal with, no lunatics texting all during the game, Nachos $1, no long lines at the restrooms, Parking in my garage..Free, no traffic getting from my game room to my bed, able to pause live TV, no high ticket prices. All of those reasons make the 80" high def tv screen ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,PRICELESS
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:04 pm

I have no problem making the generalization that someone who thinks watching on TV is a better experience than watching it live is less of a fan/a worse fan than any other fan who thinks otherwise.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shyster on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:26 pm

Hockey IMO is much better live than on TV. My preferred consumption for each major team sport is:

Hockey = live
Football = TV
Baseball = radio
Basketball = never
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:29 pm

I should add the "never seen a live game" option to my previous post.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Shyster wrote:Hockey IMO is much better live than on TV. My preferred consumption for each major team sport is:

Hockey = live
Football = TV
Baseball = radio
Basketball = never

This is pretty close to how I feel. Hockey is the most enjoyable for me live. There is something about being in an arena that I have never gotten at any other sporting event (save 1). Football is a TV/Radio sport, baseball is perfect for radio, and basketball is fun on TV (haven't been to a live pro or Pitt game yet).
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:33 pm

The dropoff from live hockey to televised to radio is a couple of significant drops.
Football is unwatchable live unless you're high and between the ~20s and unlistenable on the radio.
Soccer is the same as football for me.
Baseball is pretty even. There are pretty equal pros/cons to TV/Live.
I think basketball is like hockey in that its a lot better live, but you can still get the full experience on TV.

I'm thinking the only thing that approaches the difference between hockey live and on TV is Tennis. I've never seen a Pro tennis match live but it seems pretty awesome.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Shaky Walton on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:01 am

Apparently none of you own an 80" Hi Def TV? Another good reason You never have to yell Down in front to someone who is always standing up for no reason at all. Plus the music they play should be banned It is noise not music
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:09 am

Soccer on the radio would have to be horrible.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Factorial on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:21 am

What % of games are you STH's wanting to go to vs previous years? Maybe the supply of secondary market tickets is up more so than the demand is down.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby largegarlic on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:34 am

Wow, I think this is the first time I've heard anyone make the case that hockey is better on TV than in person. I don't have an 80 inch TV, but it seems like no matter how big your TV is, you're not going to see the whole ice and everything else that's going on away from the puck like you do live. That's what makes live hockey so much better, in my opinion.

I do agree, though, that the seeming need to make sure there are some LOUD NOISES during every break in play at the arena is annoying.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:48 am

largegarlic wrote:Wow, I think this is the first time I've heard anyone make the case that hockey is better on TV than in person. I don't have an 80 inch TV, but it seems like no matter how big your TV is, you're not going to see the whole ice and everything else that's going on away from the puck like you do live. That's what makes live hockey so much better, in my opinion.

I do agree, though, that the seeming need to make sure there are some LOUD NOISES during every break in play at the arena is annoying.

Based on how great this person seems to think they are because they have a great tv, i'm just assuming that they had wider lens cameras installed in all of the arenas so that they can see the whole ice at all times.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:55 am

hudlander wrote:Are you kidding me? You guys are complaining about a lack of demand?

I went on TiqIq which is the best site as it aggregates ticket prices across multiple sources (eBay, stubhub, TiqIq).
The minimum for any Pens game is the same as the Rangers and Bruins. Only the Blackhawks amongst US teams are higher.

Hell Caps tickets last night were under 30 for the Rangers and Flyer tickets also all season you can get them for 20.

So based on that metric I have no idea how any if you can complain about lack if demand. BDind me a Pens game I can get for under 30 and maybe then I'll agree.

Hell I'd live to get face value seats.

I'm not sure that has anything to do with demand per this discussion. The pens have systematically seen demand decrease and prices sky rocket in the last three years while using student rush to continue a sellout streak. Dirt cheap tickets to sellout, yet raise their loyal fans costs almost double. While I see your point it's not that relevant to what is being talked about.

Not too mention lowest ticket prices across the league doesn't equate to demand either. Could be those places have cheaper lower end tickets anyways. Or bigger buildings. And so forth.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:57 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
largegarlic wrote:Wow, I think this is the first time I've heard anyone make the case that hockey is better on TV than in person. I don't have an 80 inch TV, but it seems like no matter how big your TV is, you're not going to see the whole ice and everything else that's going on away from the puck like you do live. That's what makes live hockey so much better, in my opinion.

Based on how great this person seems to think they are because they have a great tv, i'm just assuming that they had wider lens cameras installed in all of the arenas so that they can see the whole ice at all times.

I don't think watching an NHL game on TV is better. Hockey is so much better live, the opposite of the NFL.

But when you figure in costs and other factors I can totally see the appeal or is point minus the "my TV is huge your isn't post". I could have bought 4 80 inch LED TVA for the cot of my tickets last year.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcmforless on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:08 am

Live hockey is heaven. When I go to a game I can COMPLETELY forget about work, life's little problems, etc... I've been to games where a tornado could have blown the roof off the building while I as there and I would have never known till the end of the game. I get to on average one Steeler game a year (my brother loves to tailgate and really likes steeler games) and they can be really BORING between plays. It is a whole lot of waiting. Run a 5 second play and then wait for 45 seconds for them to set up for another 5 second play.... Steeler games are much better on TV, PENS games, while great on the big TV at home (we have a 13' HD Projection screen in our theater room which was actually a LOT cheaper than a big TV and the quality is amazingly good) are so much better in person.
I am not a drinker so I guess you could say Pens games are my drink/drug of choice :)
pcmforless
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:31 am

I subscribe to cable solely for the Penguins and only during hockey season. So in that sense I'm valuing the extra $30 or so that it adds to my Comcast bill more than the cost of tickets. But I've never heard anyone make the argument hockey is better on tv. More convenient and with less wooing maybe, but the speed doesnt translate at all.

Regarding lower level vs upper level:

I sat in A and B at Mellon, but have never been below the 200 level at CEC. The tickets to sit down in the 100s are about twice as much money. Do you really get that value? You could go see two games in the upper level for what it costs to see one in the lower. I don't think you can see that much better and I have just as much fun watching.
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins