did penguins prices pass demand

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:34 am

hudlander wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
hudlander wrote:Are you kidding me? You guys are complaining about a lack of demand?

I went on TiqIq which is the best site as it aggregates ticket prices across multiple sources (eBay, stubhub, TiqIq).
The minimum for any Pens game is the same as the Rangers and Bruins. Only the Blackhawks amongst US teams are higher.

Hell Caps tickets last night were under 30 for the Rangers and Flyer tickets also all season you can get them for 20.

So based on that metric I have no idea how any if you can complain about lack if demand. BDind me a Pens game I can get for under 30 and maybe then I'll agree.

Hell I'd live to get face value seats.


I'm not sure that has anything to do with demand per this discussion. The pens have systematically seen demand decrease and prices sky rocket in the last three years while using student rush to continue a sellout streak. Dirt cheap tickets to sellout, yet raise their loyal fans costs almost double. While I see your point it's not that relevant to what is being talked about.

Not too mention lowest ticket prices across the league doesn't equate to demand either. Could be those places have cheaper lower end tickets anyways. Or bigger buildings. And so forth.

I'm not following.
I browse TiqIQ and it shows the best correlation between demand and interest.
Go look at what the minimum and average Coyotes prices are and then look at the Penguins and compare to a couple of other teams.

If demand was low, than TiqIQ wouldn't have the Pens ticket prices so high.
You think the Pens sell outs and demand is artifical and low? Check out Flyer and Caps tickets on the site.

If the Pens were getting sell outs and the secondary market had prices in the teens or twenties I could see it, but right now I don't.


Why would you compare them to other teams? This isn't a comparison of the Penguins to the Maple Leafs, the Rangers, or the Panthers. Its a comparison of the Penguins 2013 to the Penguins 2012 to the PEnguins 2011. There is a noticeable trend.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,666
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:06 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
hudlander wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:
hudlander wrote:Are you kidding me? You guys are complaining about a lack of demand?

I went on TiqIq which is the best site as it aggregates ticket prices across multiple sources (eBay, stubhub, TiqIq).
The minimum for any Pens game is the same as the Rangers and Bruins. Only the Blackhawks amongst US teams are higher.

Hell Caps tickets last night were under 30 for the Rangers and Flyer tickets also all season you can get them for 20.

So based on that metric I have no idea how any if you can complain about lack if demand. BDind me a Pens game I can get for under 30 and maybe then I'll agree.

Hell I'd live to get face value seats.


I'm not sure that has anything to do with demand per this discussion. The pens have systematically seen demand decrease and prices sky rocket in the last three years while using student rush to continue a sellout streak. Dirt cheap tickets to sellout, yet raise their loyal fans costs almost double. While I see your point it's not that relevant to what is being talked about.

Not too mention lowest ticket prices across the league doesn't equate to demand either. Could be those places have cheaper lower end tickets anyways. Or bigger buildings. And so forth.

I'm not following.
I browse TiqIQ and it shows the best correlation between demand and interest.
Go look at what the minimum and average Coyotes prices are and then look at the Penguins and compare to a couple of other teams.

If demand was low, than TiqIQ wouldn't have the Pens ticket prices so high.
You think the Pens sell outs and demand is artifical and low? Check out Flyer and Caps tickets on the site.

If the Pens were getting sell outs and the secondary market had prices in the teens or twenties I could see it, but right now I don't.


Why would you compare them to other teams? This isn't a comparison of the Penguins to the Maple Leafs, the Rangers, or the Panthers. Its a comparison of the Penguins 2013 to the Penguins 2012 to the PEnguins 2011. There is a noticeable trend.


Exactly. Nobody is saying the pens are not still popular or better off than teams in bad markets.

But ever since the new arena tickets have been fairly easy to come by well below season rate, students have reaped the benefits and so forth.

Heck if it wasn't for $30 tickets all of the first round doesn't sell out last year.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,064
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby Great58 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:43 pm

Don't the Pens have a season ticket waitlist still? Don't they elect not to sell a certain number of seats as season tickets in order to maintain the ability to sell single games through ticket master? Don't they have to hold a certain number for opponents and other guests of the NHL? That they release these late when unused and ultimately funnel some into student rush doesn't seem to indicate a change in demand over time. Again, they could sell their entire arena to STH.

During the 2008/2009 Cup runs, I routinely bought Igloo club or seats atop the press box with 24/48 hours of the games. Great seats, paid face value. I don't see the "noticible trend" that you describe.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,582
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:55 pm

I think a lot of the wait list is waiting for the $40ish seats. People I know declined offers from the team because the price per seat per game for what they were offered was well north of $100
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,344
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:10 pm

Great58 wrote:Don't the Pens have a season ticket waitlist still? Don't they elect not to sell a certain number of seats as season tickets in order to maintain the ability to sell single games through ticket master? Don't they have to hold a certain number for opponents and other guests of the NHL? That they release these late when unused and ultimately funnel some into student rush doesn't seem to indicate a change in demand over time. Again, they could sell their entire arena to STH.

During the 2008/2009 Cup runs, I routinely bought Igloo club or seats atop the press box with 24/48 hours of the games. Great seats, paid face value. I don't see the "noticible trend" that you describe.


they have a wait list. That is my point - why are there always so many tickets available and why do they constantly need 1,000 plus students to sell out games? While season rates keep sky rocketing?

Why are they promotin discounts on ticketmaster?

It's half myth about holding tickets too. All teams and stadiums do this but it's not a ton of seats usually. In the grand scheme it's a handful. I used to get steelers tickets this way and sometimes concerts. But that doesn't explain everything else other than a few hundred coming available a day or two before a game. People put too much weight in that.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,064
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby Great58 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:28 pm

Where do you get your information that they need thousands of students to fill the arena to get a sell out? I see 200 student rush tickets for Saturday, and 450 for Monday's game.

Sat, 10/19 vs. Vancouver Canucks - 200 tickets available!
Pre-sale begins Sat, 10/19 at 10:00 am.

Mon, 10/21 vs. Colorado Avalanche - 450 tickets available

I would bet that American Eagle pays the Pens for the right to advertise this promotion, making the total dollars coming in to the Pens as high as if they were selling through Ticketmaster, or at least the same as if they sold them as a season ticket package. With the upside of having new fans developed through the experience.

Season tickets will be priced at whatever level is sustained longitudinally. If people cancel their subscriptions and new buyers decline the invite, then it will start to be seen as a problem for the organization. But they will never be concerned that the secondary market isn't supported at or above face value, it's not their worry.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,582
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby Great58 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:31 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:I think a lot of the wait list is waiting for the $40ish seats. People I know declined offers from the team because the price per seat per game for what they were offered was well north of $100

Maybe. But I as a 1/2 season ticket package holder was told that I could not upgrade to a full season this past summer, regardless of the cost I was willing to pay. I personally wouldn't pay 100 level prices, but that it wasn't even an option for me is telling that they are doing just fine with the demand.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,582
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm
Location: On the blue line

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:37 pm

Has anyone considered that the large amount of available tickets could be attributed to STHs trying to just sell them?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,708
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:49 pm

Great58 wrote:Where do you get your information that they need thousands of students to fill the arena to get a sell out? I see 200 student rush tickets for Saturday, and 450 for Monday's game.

Sat, 10/19 vs. Vancouver Canucks - 200 tickets available!
Pre-sale begins Sat, 10/19 at 10:00 am.

Mon, 10/21 vs. Colorado Avalanche - 450 tickets available

I would bet that American Eagle pays the Pens for the right to advertise this promotion, making the total dollars coming in to the Pens as high as if they were selling through Ticketmaster, or at least the same as if they sold them as a season ticket package. With the upside of having new fans developed through the experience.

Season tickets will be priced at whatever level is sustained longitudinally. If people cancel their subscriptions and new buyers decline the invite, then it will start to be seen as a problem for the organization. But they will never be concerned that the secondary market isn't supported at or above face value, it's not their worry.


That is what they advertise. But just like the playoffs last year there are/were at points 1,000/2,000 plus tickets available the day of a game.

Yet the arena is packed and sections are full students after they sell them online.

I can't be 100 percent sure but I am observant. Just send out a text saying 200 available go online and then sell 2,000. Not hard.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,064
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby Factorial on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:56 pm

So, what's the solution to the drop in demand?
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,938
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Gleefully Ignorant

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby knives of ice on Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:59 pm

hudlander wrote:I just checked penguins.com for ticketmaster and resale.
Ticketmaster tomorrow has nothing under 70, and for Monday has 59 as the cheapest.
Ticket exchange has a couple of 40s tomorrow and 38 as lowest for Monday.
That's pretty strong demand for October weeknight and weekend games.



you have ZERO idea what you are talking about. when people on there are selling for below face value and losing money obviously demand is very very bad compared to past years when that never happened. prices have never been this low in the post cup era. you've never had to even consider selling for under STH face value for any game in past years. i'm not complaining, but stating facts.

when you can buy tickets for under STH face value for tomorrow's SATURDAY game - especially when there are only 5 saturday games all year and 3 left after tomorrow, no matter the month its a huge change for penguins games.
Last edited by knives of ice on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,742
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: good riddance Armstrong

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby pittsoccer33 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:02 pm

There isn't a must see marquee attraction this year

2005-Sid
2006-Geno
2007-hype from first playoff apperance
2008-hype from going to the finals
2009-hype from the championship
2010-new barn
pittsoccer33
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,344
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby knives of ice on Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:12 pm

Factorial wrote:So, what's the solution to the drop in demand?


there will be demand after christmas IMO

i just think things were alot different this year with the pirates, the pens got zero press and in reality nobody has cared at all about the opponents they have played thus far. it is very weird to see the prices so low regardless of opponent but if the penguins keep winning it will improve. there are so many factors that have lowered demand this year but its crazy to see just how much it has gone down. you could buy tickets to the Opener for $30 on the day of the game, you couldn't even buy tickets for under face for many Pirates openers in the past.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,742
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:36 pm
Location: good riddance Armstrong

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby dietz on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:58 pm

hudlander wrote:Are you kidding me? You guys are complaining about a lack of demand?

I went on TiqIq which is the best site as it aggregates ticket prices across multiple sources (eBay, stubhub, TiqIq).
The minimum for any Pens game is the same as the Rangers and Bruins. Only the Blackhawks amongst US teams are higher.

Hell Caps tickets last night were under 30 for the Rangers and Flyer tickets also all season you can get them for 20.

So based on that metric I have no idea how any if you can complain about lack if demand. BDind me a Pens game I can get for under 30 and maybe then I'll agree.

Hell I'd live to get face value seats.

what do you think face value is for pens tickets...upper bowl double attack are $47.25 for STH so about $2000.00 a seat, single attack about $10 less per game
so to get a pens game for under $30 STH would be losing at least $15 a ticket with ticket exchange seller charge
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:01 pm

$2000 a seat? What?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,708
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:06 pm

47 x 41 = a little over 1900. Add in the preseason games and 2000 is rounding down.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,666
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:47 x 41 = a little over 1900. Add in the preseason games and 2000 is rounding down.


It sounded like he was referring to single tickets
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,708
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Yeah, 1 seat of a plan over the course of a season.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,666
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Right. The "over the season" wasn't clear.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,708
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby Factorial on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:07 pm

dietz wrote:
hudlander wrote:Are you kidding me? You guys are complaining about a lack of demand?

I went on TiqIq which is the best site as it aggregates ticket prices across multiple sources (eBay, stubhub, TiqIq).
The minimum for any Pens game is the same as the Rangers and Bruins. Only the Blackhawks amongst US teams are higher.

Hell Caps tickets last night were under 30 for the Rangers and Flyer tickets also all season you can get them for 20.

So based on that metric I have no idea how any if you can complain about lack if demand. BDind me a Pens game I can get for under 30 and maybe then I'll agree.

Hell I'd live to get face value seats.

what do you think face value is for pens tickets...upper bowl double attack are $47.25 for STH so about $2000.00 a seat, single attack about $10 less per game
so to get a pens game for under $30 STH would be losing at least $15 a ticket with ticket exchange seller charge


So what? Don't buy them then. I fail to see why these threads come up every season.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,938
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Gleefully Ignorant

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Factorial wrote:
dietz wrote:
hudlander wrote:Are you kidding me? You guys are complaining about a lack of demand?

I went on TiqIq which is the best site as it aggregates ticket prices across multiple sources (eBay, stubhub, TiqIq).
The minimum for any Pens game is the same as the Rangers and Bruins. Only the Blackhawks amongst US teams are higher.

Hell Caps tickets last night were under 30 for the Rangers and Flyer tickets also all season you can get them for 20.

So based on that metric I have no idea how any if you can complain about lack if demand. BDind me a Pens game I can get for under 30 and maybe then I'll agree.

Hell I'd live to get face value seats.

what do you think face value is for pens tickets...upper bowl double attack are $47.25 for STH so about $2000.00 a seat, single attack about $10 less per game
so to get a pens game for under $30 STH would be losing at least $15 a ticket with ticket exchange seller charge


So what? Don't buy them then. I fail to see why these threads come up every season.

How often do you get ulcers?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 51,666
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby Factorial on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:12 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Factorial wrote:
dietz wrote:
hudlander wrote:Are you kidding me? You guys are complaining about a lack of demand?

I went on TiqIq which is the best site as it aggregates ticket prices across multiple sources (eBay, stubhub, TiqIq).
The minimum for any Pens game is the same as the Rangers and Bruins. Only the Blackhawks amongst US teams are higher.

Hell Caps tickets last night were under 30 for the Rangers and Flyer tickets also all season you can get them for 20.

So based on that metric I have no idea how any if you can complain about lack if demand. BDind me a Pens game I can get for under 30 and maybe then I'll agree.

Hell I'd live to get face value seats.

what do you think face value is for pens tickets...upper bowl double attack are $47.25 for STH so about $2000.00 a seat, single attack about $10 less per game
so to get a pens game for under $30 STH would be losing at least $15 a ticket with ticket exchange seller charge


So what? Don't buy them then. I fail to see why these threads come up every season.

How often do you get ulcers?


Never, as I'm not a whiny STH.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,938
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: Gleefully Ignorant

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby dietz on Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:33 am

Factorial wrote:
dietz wrote:
hudlander wrote:Are you kidding me? You guys are complaining about a lack of demand?

I went on TiqIq which is the best site as it aggregates ticket prices across multiple sources (eBay, stubhub, TiqIq).
The minimum for any Pens game is the same as the Rangers and Bruins. Only the Blackhawks amongst US teams are higher.

Hell Caps tickets last night were under 30 for the Rangers and Flyer tickets also all season you can get them for 20.

So based on that metric I have no idea how any if you can complain about lack if demand. BDind me a Pens game I can get for under 30 and maybe then I'll agree.

Hell I'd live to get face value seats.

what do you think face value is for pens tickets...upper bowl double attack are $47.25 for STH so about $2000.00 a seat, single attack about $10 less per game
so to get a pens game for under $30 STH would be losing at least $15 a ticket with ticket exchange seller charge


So what? Don't buy them then. I fail to see why these threads come up every season.
Factorial wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Factorial wrote:
dietz wrote:
hudlander wrote:Are you kidding me? You guys are complaining about a lack of demand?

I went on TiqIq which is the best site as it aggregates ticket prices across multiple sources (eBay, stubhub, TiqIq).
The minimum for any Pens game is the same as the Rangers and Bruins. Only the Blackhawks amongst US teams are higher.

Hell Caps tickets last night were under 30 for the Rangers and Flyer tickets also all season you can get them for 20.

So based on that metric I have no idea how any if you can complain about lack if demand. BDind me a Pens game I can get for under 30 and maybe then I'll agree.

Hell I'd live to get face value seats.

what do you think face value is for pens tickets...upper bowl double attack are $47.25 for STH so about $2000.00 a seat, single attack about $10 less per game
so to get a pens game for under $30 STH would be losing at least $15 a ticket with ticket exchange seller charge


So what? Don't buy them then. I fail to see why these threads come up every season.

How often do you get ulcers?


Never, as I'm not a whiny STH.

Not a thread to whine, just an observation about the demand fot tickets
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby jimreb on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:01 pm

If you're in the Raleigh-Durham area, you can get $12 tickets for the Pens Hurricanes game on the 28th.

http://seatgeek.com/penguins-at-hurrica ... l/1711810/
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,934
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:45 am
Location: Berks County Prison

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Hudlander
Follow the thread my man. I was referring to $30 student tickets that were clearly used to sellout many games last year including the Isles series when 2,000 ticket's magically disappeared when student tickets went on sale.

The entire profit thing is so over done. It's so easy to argue against. But nobody is saying that. This thread is about demand being down. Which it clearly is.

Over the past year if you haven't seen tickets for less than you don't look hard enough and probably are the person who bought Randals and Idoit40s tickets.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,064
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hugo Stiglitz, jcgopens and 11 guests

e-mail