did penguins prices pass demand

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: did penguins prices pass demand

Postby dietz on Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:33 am

Factorial wrote:
dietz wrote:
hudlander wrote:Are you kidding me? You guys are complaining about a lack of demand?

I went on TiqIq which is the best site as it aggregates ticket prices across multiple sources (eBay, stubhub, TiqIq).
The minimum for any Pens game is the same as the Rangers and Bruins. Only the Blackhawks amongst US teams are higher.

Hell Caps tickets last night were under 30 for the Rangers and Flyer tickets also all season you can get them for 20.

So based on that metric I have no idea how any if you can complain about lack if demand. BDind me a Pens game I can get for under 30 and maybe then I'll agree.

Hell I'd live to get face value seats.

what do you think face value is for pens tickets...upper bowl double attack are $47.25 for STH so about $2000.00 a seat, single attack about $10 less per game
so to get a pens game for under $30 STH would be losing at least $15 a ticket with ticket exchange seller charge

So what? Don't buy them then. I fail to see why these threads come up every season.
Factorial wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Factorial wrote:
dietz wrote:
hudlander wrote:Are you kidding me? You guys are complaining about a lack of demand?

I went on TiqIq which is the best site as it aggregates ticket prices across multiple sources (eBay, stubhub, TiqIq).
The minimum for any Pens game is the same as the Rangers and Bruins. Only the Blackhawks amongst US teams are higher.

Hell Caps tickets last night were under 30 for the Rangers and Flyer tickets also all season you can get them for 20.

So based on that metric I have no idea how any if you can complain about lack if demand. BDind me a Pens game I can get for under 30 and maybe then I'll agree.

what do you think face value is for pens tickets...upper bowl double attack are $47.25 for STH so about $2000.00 a seat, single attack about $10 less per game
so to get a pens game for under $30 STH would be losing at least $15 a ticket with ticket exchange seller charge

So what? Don't buy them then. I fail to see why these threads come up every season.

How often do you get ulcers?

Never, as I'm not a whiny STH.

Not a thread to whine, just an observation about the demand fot tickets
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby hudlander on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:27 pm

knives of ice wrote:
hudlander wrote:I just checked penguins.com for ticketmaster and resale.
Ticketmaster tomorrow has nothing under 70, and for Monday has 59 as the cheapest.
Ticket exchange has a couple of 40s tomorrow and 38 as lowest for Monday.
That's pretty strong demand for October weeknight and weekend games.

you have ZERO idea what you are talking about. when people on there are selling for below face value and losing money obviously demand is very very bad compared to past years when that never happened. prices have never been this low in the post cup era. you've never had to even consider selling for under STH face value for any game in past years. i'm not complaining, but stating facts.

when you can buy tickets for under STH face value for tomorrow's SATURDAY game - especially when there are only 5 saturday games all year and 3 left after tomorrow, no matter the month its a huge change for penguins games.

No I know exactly what I am talking about.
I follow ticket sales and the Pens ticket re-sales on websites are high.
The next time I see a ticket under 40 will be my first.
I mean I think you folks just wanted to make a big profit and surprise, an October game on a Saturday afternoon means you can't sell you're 100 dollar seats for 175.

Yeah, Saturday afternoon October games don't have the best demand because it's still nice outside and CFB season.
hudlander

Postby hudlander on Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:27 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
hudlander wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:

I'm not sure that has anything to do with demand per this discussion. The pens have systematically seen demand decrease and prices sky rocket in the last three years while using student rush to continue a sellout streak. Dirt cheap tickets to sellout, yet raise their loyal fans costs almost double. While I see your point it's not that relevant to what is being talked about.

Not too mention lowest ticket prices across the league doesn't equate to demand either. Could be those places have cheaper lower end tickets anyways. Or bigger buildings. And so forth.

I'm not following.
I browse TiqIQ and it shows the best correlation between demand and interest.
Go look at what the minimum and average Coyotes prices are and then look at the Penguins and compare to a couple of other teams.

If demand was low, than TiqIQ wouldn't have the Pens ticket prices so high.
You think the Pens sell outs and demand is artifical and low? Check out Flyer and Caps tickets on the site.

If the Pens were getting sell outs and the secondary market had prices in the teens or twenties I could see it, but right now I don't.

Why would you compare them to other teams? This isn't a comparison of the Penguins to the Maple Leafs, the Rangers, or the Panthers. Its a comparison of the Penguins 2013 to the Penguins 2012 to the PEnguins 2011. There is a noticeable trend.

I don't notice it and I think you folks are nit picking. The prices I see show that Pens games and prices are up in the top tier, so if the Pens are having problems that whoa it be to be other NHL markets.

Idoit40fans wrote:
hudlander wrote:

I'm not sure that has anything to do with demand per this discussion. The pens have systematically seen demand decrease and prices sky rocket in the last three years while using student rush to continue a sellout streak. Dirt cheap tickets to sellout, yet raise their loyal fans costs almost double. While I see your point it's not that relevant to what is being talked about.

Not too mention lowest ticket prices across the league doesn't equate to demand either. Could be those places have cheaper lower end tickets anyways. Or bigger buildings. And so forth.

I'm not following.
Go look at what the minimum and average Coyotes prices are and then look at the Penguins and compare to a couple of other teams.

You think the Pens sell outs and demand is artifical and low? Check out Flyer and Caps tickets on the site.

If the Pens were getting sell outs and the secondary market had prices in the teens or twenties I could see it, but right now I don't.

Why would you compare them to other teams? This isn't a comparison of the Penguins to the Maple Leafs, the Rangers, or the Panthers. Its a comparison of the Penguins 2013 to the Penguins 2012 to the PEnguins 2011. There is a noticeable trend.

Exactly. Nobody is saying the pens are not still popular or better off than teams in bad markets.

But ever since the new arena tickets have been fairly easy to come by well below season rate, students have reaped the benefits and so forth.

Heck if it wasn't for $30 tickets all of the first round doesn't sell out last year.

30 dollar tickets? Yeah right.
I want to go to one Pens home game this season and cannot find any ticket for any night under 40, so I have no clue what you are talking about.
hudlander

Postby jimreb on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:01 pm

If you're in the Raleigh-Durham area, you can get $12 tickets for the Pens Hurricanes game on the 28th.

http://seatgeek.com/penguins-at-hurrica ... l/1711810/
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Hudlander
Follow the thread my man. I was referring to $30 student tickets that were clearly used to sellout many games last year including the Isles series when 2,000 ticket's magically disappeared when student tickets went on sale.

The entire profit thing is so over done. It's so easy to argue against. But nobody is saying that. This thread is about demand being down. Which it clearly is.

Over the past year if you haven't seen tickets for less than you don't look hard enough and probably are the person who bought Randals and Idoit40s tickets.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FreeCandy44 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:25 pm

So how long till this thread is deleted?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:06 am

Twerking. Discuss.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dietz on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:58 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:So how long till this thread is deleted?

if you don't like thread don't read it...nobody is forcing you
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dietz on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Hell I'd live to get face value seats.[/quote]

Not too mention lowest ticket prices across the league doesn't equate to demand either. Could be those places have cheaper lower end tickets anyways. Or bigger buildings. And so forth.[/quote]
I'm not following.

If the Pens were getting sell outs and the secondary market had prices in the teens or twenties I could see it, but right now I don't.[/quote]

Why would you compare them to other teams? This isn't a comparison of the Penguins to the Maple Leafs, the Rangers, or the Panthers. Its a comparison of the Penguins 2013 to the Penguins 2012 to the PEnguins 2011. There is a noticeable trend.[/quote]

I don't notice it and I think you folks are nit picking. The prices I see show that Pens games and prices are up in the top tier, so if the Pens are having problems that whoa it be to be other NHL markets.

Idoit40fans wrote:
hudlander wrote:

I'm not following.

Exactly. Nobody is saying the pens are not still popular or better off than teams in bad markets.

But ever since the new arena tickets have been fairly easy to come by well below season rate, students have reaped the benefits and so forth.

Heck if it wasn't for $30 tickets all of the first round doesn't sell out last year.

30 dollar tickets? Yeah right.
I want to go to one Pens home game this season and cannot find any ticket for any night under 40, so I have no clue what you are talking about.[/quote]
you just proved the point of the thread...you want a tix for under $40 but even if you buy season tickets you don't get a tix for under $40 so the price has reach the tipping point for you..CORRECT????
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:24 pm

The pens have systematically seen demand decrease

No, they haven't. I repeat myself, but it seems necessary. The secondary market may be seeing a decrease in demand at this moment, but the Pens COULD sell all of their seats as season tickets if they chose to. This is not the Pens issue, it is only an issue to STH trying to sell games.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:45 pm

Great58 wrote:
The pens have systematically seen demand decrease

No, they haven't. I repeat myself, but it seems necessary. The secondary market may be seeing a decrease in demand at this moment, but the Pens COULD sell all of their seats as season tickets if they chose to. This is not the Pens issue, it is only an issue to STH trying to sell games.

Again why does everyone resort to the secondary market to argue? The pens are not selling all of their tickets either and at points the secondary market is under cutting what the pens actually charge which shows exactly what the thread is about. It's not about making money is about what is available to purchase.

The thread is about prices passing demand. Demand being lower than previous seasons.

Which it clearly has. Prices for them go beyond season holder rates and that is on purpose as they charge more to buy one game and I would assume that makes them more money obviously.

When there are plenty of seats available and students are filling sections demand has been passed over by continuous and very large price increases.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Factorial on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:07 pm

The thread is about prices passing demand. Demand being lower than previous seasons.

This thread is about STH's complaining that they are overpaying. Just come out and say it. What should they do? No more student rush? What else?
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Enfants autour du monde, mis chameau merde sur les murs

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:35 pm

I purchased two tickets for the Avs game on TicketExchange for a combined $95 after all fees. They were in the fifth row of the upper section, right behind a goaltender. I don't know what the STH price would be for these seats, but at ~$47 per they were a decent value in my mind.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby knives of ice on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:00 pm

its hilarious to me that people complain about this thread....if anything if you don't have season tickets it should have been very informative to let you know ticket prices for the pens in the secondary market are at an all time low in the post cup era. that you can actually get cheap tickets now for weekend games unlike the past.

in past years you could never think of finding tickets for STH cost for a friday/weekend game and you can get tickets for what a STH paid or less today easily for many sections at CEC for the isles game tomorrow right now. when people paid $172.50 for a ticket from the pens and they are trying to get $154 (on ticket exchange right now) minus a 10% fee for a friday game against a well known exciting opponent it says alot (mind you the pens sell the same section on ticketmaster for over $240). or others in the first level that pay 93.50 and are hoping to get $85. and i'm just pulling examples from ticket exchange stubhub, craigslist, etc are a different level. yes, of course the season ticket holder is lucky to have tickets but when a STH in the past could easily get rid of their tickets if they wanted and now they can't i don't see why that isn't worth talking about.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lifetimefan on Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Demand is soft. My schedule causes me to sell about half my games in a given season. There was a drop in demand when Sid was out but last year was gangbusters for demand. Short season, healthy team and high expectations were enough. After several years of playoff failures people want results before they will payout. They just aren't selling even at a price that loses money. I tried to sell a single the other night vs Colorado and there was zero interest. Anyone can guess as to why but I believe the failures in the playoffs the past few seasons have tempered it.
lifetimefan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:18 pm

knives of ice wrote:yes, of course the season ticket holder is lucky to have tickets but when a STH in the past could easily get rid of their tickets if they wanted and now they can't i don't see why that isn't worth talking about.

You can talk about it, but that doesn't mean it is a problem the Penguins have or that they should be concerned about it. People shouldn't portray it as something they (the Pens) should care about or adjust their pricing structure to address. I guarantee than anyone who gives up their season tickets at this time, at these prices, would have someone instantly replace them. Sure, some on the waitlist would pass, but others would jump on the opportunity. So the Pens have their tickets marked at the right price point, pure and simple.

Just think when you are selling for a loss in October you are paying for the right to be inside in May, guaranteed.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby dietz on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:44 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:I purchased two tickets for the Avs game on TicketExchange for a combined $95 after all fees. They were in the fifth row of the upper section, right behind a goaltender. I don't know what the STH price would be for these seats, but at ~$47 per they were a decent value in my mind.

Same tickets for double attack are $47.25 per ..single attack are around $10 less per so you paid same as sth but didn't have to pay for whole season...you did good
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby dietz on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:50 pm

Great58 wrote:
knives of ice wrote:yes, of course the season ticket holder is lucky to have tickets but when a STH in the past could easily get rid of their tickets if they wanted and now they can't i don't see why that isn't worth talking about.

You can talk about it, but that doesn't mean it is a problem the Penguins have or that they should be concerned about it. People shouldn't portray it as something they (the Pens) should care about or adjust their pricing structure to address. I guarantee than anyone who gives up their season tickets at this time, at these prices, would have someone instantly replace them. Sure, some on the waitlist would pass, but others would jump on the opportunity. So the Pens have their tickets marked at the right price point, pure and simple.

Just think when you are selling for a loss in October you are paying for the right to be inside in May, guaranteed.

The pens lose money when the STH don't sell on ticketexchange because they charge a fee for seller so the pens make more than if i use tix or sell to friends.....lower demand in secondary markets do mean that prices have caught up to demand
dietz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby knives of ice on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:13 pm

Great58 wrote:

i agree with most everything you said but i know from attending a STH meeting that the pens are always concerned with sales and the prices. there is a reason why they have given a few 30% off codes for games this year. i wouldn't be surprised if they implement dynamic pricing in the coming seasons as well.

also, in the past you were right the real reason to have season tickets was the right to buy playoffs. however, this past year the prices were so insanely high you could buy any game last year, except a few weekend games at STH cost or below. plus with the prices so high there were a ton of STHs that didn't buy playoff tickets. some of the weekday playoff games you could buy tickets well below STH cost. there were threads about it last year which is why some are reacting how they are in this thread. in reality, the low demand at playoffs last year with such high prices was a good indicator of where things were going.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:16 pm

there were a ton of STHs that didn't buy playoff tickets.

Do you have a link to support that claim? Tickets for playoff games sold out pretty quickly as far as I know. I couldn't get tickets for games I wanted to go to off ticketmaster, and I certainly don't recall options for at or below-face-value tickets on sale on ticket exchange. I had easier times getting playoff tickets from ticketmaster in 2008, and ticketexchange in 2009 at face value.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:32 pm

Don't need a link. For the first time since I have been a season holder (2003) the pens offered us the chance to buy more playoff tickets. Couldn't even sniff a single game three years ago let alone packages. Last year you could have bought whatever you wanted. Just like students under the rouse of "limited amount".

They only sold out the Isles series because of $30 student tickets.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:57 pm

I disagree, I tried and couldn't get some games. But this discussion is going nowhere, so I'm out.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby C4 Row E on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:53 am

Great58 wrote:

Do you have a link to support that claim? Tickets for playoff games sold out pretty quickly as far as I know. I couldn't get tickets for games I wanted to go to off ticketmaster, and I certainly don't recall options for at or below-face-value tickets on sale on ticket exchange. I had easier times getting playoff tickets from ticketmaster in 2008, and ticketexchange in 2009 at face value.

Every playoff game last year had 100's of tickets available on game day. They were FACE VALUE on Ticketmaster.

Almost all of the seats ended up selling to student rushers.
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Ossa on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Great58 wrote:

Tons of tickets were available for most playoff games last year. Just look at the threads last year where many of us thought the sell out streak would end during the playoffs. They gave hundred away to student rush to sellout games.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins