Brandon Sutter

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby DelPen on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:53 pm

For $2.1 million he is fine contributing absolutely no offense to his line and team I guess as long as his defense stays competent. If he wants a raise trade him.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,931
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:57 pm

Pitts wrote:
His 6 PIMs in 69 games comes across as a little soft and disengaged.

Statements like this always confuse me. And, always has traditionally - in the NHL -when talking about a player's "grit" or physicality. Isn't the idea to really NOT take a penalty and put your team down a man for 2 minutes or more?


Especially being one of your top PK guys. :?
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,165
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:46 am
Location: Pathetic, Fake Fan by Simple Definition

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:04 pm

Rylan wrote:I think the majority of you have a warped view of what a 3rd line center actually does...


Meh, a 3rd line center doesn't have to be one dimensional. Doesnt mean i think we need Staal but the line is allowed to produce and swarm. We could use some cycle from our bottoms lines especially in the playoffs. It's part of what has been killing us.

I think Sutter is fine but really think he needs faster, more grinding type wingers to go with.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,117
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:42 am
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:10 pm

I think everyone in this thread has been pretty realistic.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,636
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby Rylan on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:51 pm

shmenguin wrote:I think everyone in this thread has been pretty realistic.


Of course you do.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,086
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby scals37 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:52 pm

Steve Dave wrote:He lead the team with 5 GW Goals last year.

The one thing I was going to say is that he scores some big, timely goals
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,880
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:05 am
Location: Joe Baggadonuts' House

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:03 pm

DelPen wrote:For $2.1 million he is fine contributing absolutely no offense to his line and team I guess as long as his defense stays competent. If he wants a raise trade him.

He will want more then $2.1 mil and if the Pens won't give it to him, I'm sure there will be other teams lining up to do so.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,509
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: Why the hell are you dressed like a chicken?

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:04 pm

Isn't he regarded as a "smart" player? The lack of PIMs could also mean he doesn't get himself in positions where he has to hook, hold, or pull someone down.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,349
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Roger Roger.

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby NashvilleCat on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Pitts wrote:
His 6 PIMs in 69 games comes across as a little soft and disengaged.

Statements like this always confuse me. And, always has traditionally - in the NHL -when talking about a player's "grit" or physicality. Isn't the idea to really NOT take a penalty and put your team down a man for 2 minutes or more?

I'd say hits would be a better stat for that, but even then, you can't rely on that as a "for fact" number since they seem rather arbitrarily (or randomly?) kept track of.

As for Sutter, I know he's capable of a little more offense as evidenced by his time in Carolina. I keep waiting for it to blossom in Pittsburgh. But, he has been rather un-noticeable on the ice so far this season.

He's fourth on the team in hits. I have no problem with the way he's played since he came here.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,305
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 7:18 pm
Location: 4.5 hours south of Josh Harrison's hometown.

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby Gaucho on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:21 pm

He can be counted on to score ~15-20 goals, so I'm not sure about the "absolutely no offense" part.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 42,812
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:22 am
Location: Ignoranti

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby KG on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:39 pm

He hasn't had his moment yet. Still feels like he hasn't totally fit in with the team and fully understands his role.

Giving him a raise of what he is making now, for playing the role he is playing makes little sense to me.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby pens_CT on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:11 pm

KG wrote:He hasn't had his moment yet. Still feels like he hasn't totally fit in with the team and fully understands his role.

Giving him a raise of what he is making now, for playing the role he is playing makes little sense to me.

Depends on what kind of raise you are talking about. 2.5 mil/yr for 4 to 5 years would make sense considering there is no plan B in the organization.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,715
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:47 pm

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby KG on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:19 pm

pens_CT wrote:
KG wrote:He hasn't had his moment yet. Still feels like he hasn't totally fit in with the team and fully understands his role.

Giving him a raise of what he is making now, for playing the role he is playing makes little sense to me.

Depends on what kind of raise you are talking about. 2.5 mil/yr for 4 to 5 years would make sense considering there is no plan B in the organization.


Agreed. I should have said, giving him a sizeable raise compared to what he's making now...I'd be find with a long term deal in the $2.5Mill range...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby shmenguin on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Rylan wrote:
shmenguin wrote:I think everyone in this thread has been pretty realistic.


Of course you do.


i don't really understand your issue. who's going nuts here? the guy who wants a little more jam out of a 3rd liner? ermagerd!

i'm not even here complaining about him. he's an ok guy in that spot. i wish he could play offense and defense all in the same shift, but at least he's good at one of those. he also appears to already have more chemistry with kobasew than he did with either cooke or kennedy, so at least we're on the right path.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,636
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby mikey287 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:35 pm

I'm not sure what Sutter is supposed to do...~20 goal pace last season, was put in a situationally-matched position to play defense to bail us out -- tough minutes. Still was on pace for better than his career average in goals (so it's not like he scored an abnormal amount of goals or anything...nothing should have been a great surprise) AND on top of that, he got rid of your (whoever is reading this) least favorite player because he's a RHS center.

"This team needs to play more defensive hockey so we can win!"

"I don't like our best defensive center because he doesn't score enough!"

Perplexing mob.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,109
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby columbia on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:37 pm

The problem is that he got rid of someone's favorite player. ;)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 49,410
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 pm
Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby Stevens25 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:30 am

For the mere fact that he is the last person to congratulate the goalie after a win, I love him
He is a coach's son and acts like it. His consistency is much appreciated.
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:50 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby canaan on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:24 am

I like Sutter. Id rather have Staal, but not at Staal's AAV. Sutter's ROI is much higher in comparison to salaries, but Staal has the intangibles...the reach, the gamebreaking ability (though not yet realized to where i think he could be)...the SHG in the Detroit series probably weighs heaviest in my opinion of Staal...i was pretty bummed when he was traded.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 39,249
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 10:13 am
Location: H2S

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby shmenguin on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:27 am

i'm encouraged by the fact that we now have the ability to build the 3rd line from scratch around our center. the big problem last year was that sutter didn't play nice with his linemates and vice versa. this had an adverse affect on my opinion of sutter, to say the least. but so far, i've already seen more chemistry between him and kobasew than i saw between him and cooke or kennedy all of last year.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 23,636
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:34 pm

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:49 am

canaan wrote:I like Sutter. Id rather have Staal, but not at Staal's AAV. Sutter's ROI is much higher in comparison to salaries, but Staal has the intangibles...the reach, the gamebreaking ability (though not yet realized to where i think he could be)...the SHG in the Detroit series probably weighs heaviest in my opinion of Staal...i was pretty bummed when he was traded.


I miss the ROI-centric valuations. Thank you for that.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 53,968
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 pm
Location: I'm sorry you feel that way

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby KG on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:10 am

Speaking of Jordan Staal. 7 games played 0-1-1 thus far.

He has quickly become overrated and overpaid IMO. He may not ever be more then a 3rd line center on a good team, 2nd on a poor team...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,979
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 am
Location: NY

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby Beveridge on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:14 am

Jordan Staal would have about 15 threads already this season if he was here putting up that stat line.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,852
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:38 pm
Location: Punxsutawney

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby Rylan on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:44 am

Staal had an incredible reach, but I am curious how much different the wingspans of Staal and Sutter differ. They are similar in height, so I am curious as to how freakish Staal's arm length is.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,086
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:49 am

KG wrote:Speaking of Jordan Staal. 7 games played 0-1-1 thus far.

He has quickly become overrated and overpaid IMO. He may not ever be more then a 3rd line center on a good team, 2nd on a poor team...

Should have drafted Toews......
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 19,509
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: Why the hell are you dressed like a chicken?

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby Beveridge on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:50 am

I miss that debate.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,852
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:38 pm
Location: Punxsutawney

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GSdrums87, Pitts, sniper, SolidSnake and 20 guests


e-mail