Brandon Sutter

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Brandon Sutter

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:51 am

Beveridge wrote:I miss that debate.

We would of had 3 cups by now :scared:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Beveridge on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:53 am

How many WITH Toews and WITHOUT Bylsma??

Like 18? :fist:
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:55 am

Beveridge wrote:How many WITH Toews and WITHOUT Bylsma??

Like 18? :fist:

Don't be silly, Therrien gets credit for at least 9 of those 18
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:44 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
KG wrote:Speaking of Jordan Staal. 7 games played 0-1-1 thus far.

He has quickly become overrated and overpaid IMO. He may not ever be more then a 3rd line center on a good team, 2nd on a poor team...

Should have drafted Toews......

And then traded him for Sutter :pop:
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:19 pm

We moved Staal for Sutter and top prospect and a #8 overall.... Sutter should be NO WHERE NEAR the player that Staal is when you look at the deal. I do not recall him being discussed as a legend shutdown center. I do admit that I would like to see a bit more offense from him, but I can live with a 19 goal season rate.

For offensive comparison since the trade:
Staal: 55gp 10-22-32
Sutter: 54gp 11-11-22
... and Stall is playing more minutes with higher offensively talented linemates.

A big difference is in +/-... Staal is -19 while Sutter is +3.

Bottom line though, as long as Sutter remains servicable and does a good job as a third line center, I am happy. He isn't dropping the bal and that is what is important.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:45 pm

- seems to have a knack for scoring big goals
- durable, reliable
- still has a little upside (itty bitty)
- not a big cap hit, kill penalties, wins draws....

good value for dollar.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Sutter-Kobasew were starting to click before the injuries, BB certainly picked up where he left off. I've really liked Kobasew's game but think he's a little out of his depth trying to replace Neal. When the team is healthy and Sutter gets more time with Koby and Jussi I think his production will increase.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:10 pm

FWIW, his "advanced stats" are brutal. these guys have beef with sutter in general, but you can't make this stuff up.

http://gettoourgame.blogspot.com/2013/10/advanced-stats-confirm-brandon-sutter.html
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Crankshaft on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:15 pm

shmenguin wrote:FWIW, his "advanced stats" are brutal. these guys have beef with sutter in general, but you can't make this stuff up.

http://gettoourgame.blogspot.com/2013/10/advanced-stats-confirm-brandon-sutter.html

Does everyone have a Penguins blog? They have to be the team with the most wanna-be reporters in the league.
Crankshaft
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:21 pm

Aren't corsi ratings sort of like ... toons in the Roger Rabbit universe? Something that is there, but shouldn't be taken seriously, at all.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:31 pm

i don't really like corsi either, but i think the takeaway, as far as sutter is concerned, is that he's not effective at a possession game.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:40 pm

LOL...that pic of TK -- Giant body - tiny head! He's a cartoon!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:46 pm

shmenguin wrote:FWIW, his "advanced stats" are brutal. these guys have beef with sutter in general, but you can't make this stuff up.

I don't think they understand some of the stats they are using in that article. If I'm understanding the Quality of Competition stat they are referring to it, its predicated on bulk time on ice, rather than relative to their total minutes vs. good, bad, and average competition.

At 5on5, he had the second highest Corsi Relative QoC on the Pens, which is generally viewed as the most useful QoC stat:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statisti ... +46+63+67#

He's buried in terms of his zone starts, with only 37% coming in the offensive zone at 5on5, which was the lowest on the team:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statisti ... +46+63+67#

As you might expect, people who start two-thirds of their shifts outside the offensive zone have a significantly lower expected Corsi:

Some of the stuff in the piece is surprising, but I think some of it is aggressively cherry-picked in service of axe-grinding. It also ignores other metrics that show he's a beast defensively.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby slappybrown on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Jim wrote:Aren't corsi ratings sort of like ... toons in the Roger Rabbit universe? Something that is there, but shouldn't be taken seriously, at all.

YA THOSE NERDS WHO NEEDS EM
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Eismann on Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:34 pm

RON'S BUTTER NAD
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby smoothmoneyb on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:48 pm

When I watch Brandon Sutter, what I notice is that he almost always makes the safe play. That's fine though, because you need guys on your team like that. I don't really know if that's just more of his own personal style, or if that's what he's told to do. Probably some of both. Every once in a while he will do something that really impresses, but it hardly ever involves taking a risk. I guess overall I'd describe him as just solid. He seems like a smart player who is well aware of what his role is, as well as his limitations. And he generally plays within those. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing him play a little less conservative at times, or at least learn to recognize when to take chances and try and create more offensively (as opposed to always just dumping the puck in), but I doubt that's what he is being told to do.
smoothmoneyb
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:10 am

Sutter makes me feel safe.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Puck Drama on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:49 am

Sutterkerovsky has been horrible all season. I think the drop off from Staal Cooke and Kennedy to Sutterkervosky, Bennet and Kobasew/D'Agastino is drastic. The Pens have line 1A and 1B the 4A and 4B. Come playoff time it will kill them.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dickie Dunn on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:34 am

KG wrote:Speaking of Jordan Staal. 7 games played 0-1-1 thus far.

He has quickly become overrated and overpaid IMO. He may not ever be more then a 3rd line center on a good team, 2nd on a poor team...

A week later and he's added a goal and an assist for an impressively depressing 3 points in 11 games. He was always overrated, it just took the trade to Carolina for this fan base to see it.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:53 am

I'm more concerned about the Penguins #2 center than Sutter (and I'm not concerned about him at all).

And I'm definitely not concerned about Staal: you sleep with dogs, you get fleas.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:55 am

Jordan Staal was the one who needed to realize his place in the NHL -- and perhaps that was as an incredible 3rd line center on a perennial Stanley Cup contending team. But, he wanted to be the big dog.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:30 pm

One thing that never gets mentioned is how good of a shot Sutter has. You almost never see a goalie stop it cleanly. He should probably have 2 or 3 goals by now.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:32 pm

shmenguin wrote:One thing that never gets mentioned is how good of a shot Sutter has. You almost never see a goalie stop it cleanly. He should probably have 2 or 3 goals by now.

Agreed. The Jokinen goal was a pretty good example of this. The shot basically created the goal.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:46 pm

I wish Sutter would open things up offensively a bit more. I believe he has that capability. He does have a decent shot. But he never ventures below the circles in the O-zone. I'm pretty sure Blysma and co beat it into his head that he's their shutdown center, that's the role they want him to play, and if he gets illusions of grandeur like Staal, he'll get put in the doghouse.

The guy's young and has plenty of room to grow. But definitely right now he looks like a weaker (though still average) player than the one that we acquired from Carolina.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:48 am

Steve Dave wrote:He lead the team with 5 GW Goals last year.

Those GW goals are a bonus from a third line center. If people are counting on him to score a ton of goals, win every faceoff, kill every penalty, hit everything that moves, block every shot, and save the planet from global warming, they are expecting too much of a third line center.

My point is, Sutter is the definition of what a third line center is and should be. I'd like him to be a bit more of a presence in front of the net and use his big frame for rebounds and tip-ins, but other than that, his game is great. If the Pens had 6 Brandon Sutters in their bottom 6, the team would improve greatly. He is a jack of all trades, albeit a master of none of them.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins