#MaattaWatch

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

#MaattaWatch

Postby DesertPenguin on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:46 pm

With Letang practicing and Maatta having played in 6 of his 9 allowed games without burning a year of his contract, a decision will be made soon.

Who goes, when and why?
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby mikey287 on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:48 pm

Teh bord sez: Mattaa gos back bc Blysma is a bad couch that hates n00bz.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:50 pm

mikey287 wrote:Teh bord sez: Mattaa gos back bc Blysma is a bad couch that hates n00bz.

I love you.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:02 pm

Happy Trails Oli
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:35 pm

Maatta stays, Engelland is moved. Once Letang comes back, Maatta battles Bortuzzo for playing time. However knowing how many injuries this team usually goes through, chances are good that both Maatta and Bortuzzo get ample playing time for the ramainder of the season.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:13 pm

- Maatta to juniors
- Engelland/Niskanen/Despres traded
- Bortuzzo stays as the #6
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The U on Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:55 pm

pens_CT wrote:Maatta stays, Engelland is moved. Once Letang comes back, Maatta battles Bortuzzo for playing time. However knowing how many injuries this team usually goes through, chances are good that both Maatta and Bortuzzo get ample playing time for the ramainder of the season.

Agreed. Forget contracts, entry level, games played, and whatnot. I think this puts your best team on the ice. In the end that's what this is all about.

If the organization thinks keeping Maatta on the roster gives them the best blueline they can possibly have, he stays.

No way in hell Shero says "welp, Maatta is better than Dumolin, Despres, and Engelland but were going to send him down anyways..."
The U
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:06 am

The U wrote:
pens_CT wrote:Maatta stays, Engelland is moved. Once Letang comes back, Maatta battles Bortuzzo for playing time. However knowing how many injuries this team usually goes through, chances are good that both Maatta and Bortuzzo get ample playing time for the ramainder of the season.

Agreed. Forget contracts, entry level, games played, and whatnot. I think this puts your best team on the ice. In the end that's what this is all about.

If the organization thinks keeping Maatta on the roster gives them the best blueline they can possibly have, he stays.

No way in hell Shero says "welp, Maatta is better than Dumolin, Despres, and Engelland but were going to send him down anyways..."

And that's exactly what's going to happen. Maatta fans can kick and scream all they want, but this is a move with the future in mind, not the now. He is going to be sent down, and it will be perfectly OK.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shaky Walton on Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:23 am

What's a Maatta U He Stays in Pittsburgh Case closed This kid is the real deal. Give the Pens a lot of options to see one of the kids really turning out to be a stud.
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Posterboy on Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:18 am

I keep waiting for him to have that definitive "this is why you send him back to the minors" game but that's yet to happen. Small sample size not with standing he's shown that he's an NHL caliber defenceman.

Is his development better servered playing 3rd line NHL minutes vs. 1st line Junior minutes? In my uninfomed opinion I would say yes. The question is whether the Pens are better off going Niskanen/Bortuzzo/Engelland vs. burning a year off his entry level contract.
Posterboy
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby knives of ice on Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:36 am

Maata stays.
Engo traded
Depres traded by the end of the deadline.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:27 am

I really wouldn't be opposed to him being sent back to juniors especially if Letang is healthy. I realize he has played very well and in a vacuum deserves to stay on the roster over someone like Engelland but there are salary cap and contract rights considerations that play into the decision. Trading Engelland or Despres for a fair return is not guaranteed. Also it's not a given that Maata will keep up his play for the entire season. Spending more time as a #1 defenseman in juniors might not exactly be the worse thing.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:49 am

I am hoping over the next three games they give him a chance at working on the point during the PP. If he can do a good job there I would hope he would stay. He can be a big upgrade to our #2 PP unit which is severely lacking now on the point unless you are putting a forward back there on the #1 PP (which is likely).
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:50 am

How can any one think Bortuzzo and Maatta will fight for playing time. In Dans system every D- pairing has one offensive guy and one defensive guy. They would have more chance at playing on the same pairing than fighting for playing time??

Maatta goes, he got his chance and has secured a job on the team for next season. Right now we got enough NHL talent on contract to keep him on the team. Also Despres is on call if we need another guy to come up. Its as much a contract/management/roster type decision as it is does this player make us a better team decision.

In the end i don't think Maatta makes us any more or less of a contender but it is really nice to know we got this kid waiting in the wings for next season.

Also i would hate to see Engellang go, having that muscle in the game is nice, espicially when we go up vs Philly and the Rangers.
Last edited by no name on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:52 am

I thought Swiss peeps made the best watches?

Maatta is good enough to stay and contribute, I don't think that is a disagreement anyone has. However, I believe the Pens are up against the cap, and will be for years. I believe the Pens will send Ollie back to juniors (London - great OHL franchise btw), like they did with MAF all those years ago. If they were not under such a cap crunch, then he might stay.

With Despres, Doumoulin and a stable of others in the minors, sending Maatta back to juniors solves a logjam AND a financial problem.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:01 am

The number 6 dman isn't going to make or break your season. So even if maatta gives the team the best chance to win (which we don't have enough data to show yet), its only by a small margin.

Bortuzzo stays
Niskanen stays
Maatta goes
Engelland plays from time to time
Depres is traded
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:22 am

We'll see.

*sips coffee*

We'll see.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sheriff66 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:28 am

No way Maatta stays
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:55 am

One thing for sure, I have to wonder if Shero/DB are having Staal flashbacks. They let the kid play his games and start to realize that they, and the fans watching the games, can clearly see that the kid deserves to be in the NHL and now have themselves in a pickle.

I think he should stay. My gut says 0% chance he actually does.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:05 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:One thing for sure, I have to wonder if Shero/DB are having Staal flashbacks. They let the kid play his games and start to realize that they, and the fans watching the games, can clearly see that the kid deserves to be in the NHL and now have themselves in a pickle.

I see why people are trying to compare this situation to Staal's, but it's really not the same. When Staal was kept around, we didn't exactly have a ton of depth at center. Staal was slated to go back to juniors, but played his way onto the team because he was good enough and there was a spot for him. With Maata, he is definitely good enough to stick around, but there isn't a big need for him. I still say he goes down because Shero is very calculated with asset management.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jimjom on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:18 am

Kevin Allen was on the radio yesterday and said that he thinks there's a good chance that Maatta will go back down to juniors, also he made the valid point that London is hosting the Memorial Cup this year and gets the automatic bid so that won't hurt his chances.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:35 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:One thing for sure, I have to wonder if Shero/DB are having Staal flashbacks. They let the kid play his games and start to realize that they, and the fans watching the games, can clearly see that the kid deserves to be in the NHL and now have themselves in a pickle.

\
Wait as second MAATTA/STAAL it must be Destiny.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:46 am

Should've picked SAAd.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:43 am

no name wrote:

\
Wait as second MAATTA/STAAL it must be Destiny.

McIndoe made reference to this about three minutes after the pens drafted Maatta.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:13 am

And he probably doesn't get that long look if Malkin hadn't been hurt. :scared:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins