#MaattaWatch

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby Froggy on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:54 am

Despres is currently probably our 8th best D man. He's not in the lineup because he's not one of our 6 best d men, and he's not on our roster because we can send him down without exposing him to waivers.

None of this ceases to be true because of some 6 month old quote taken partially out of context from our coach.


I'm not sure why anyone would be so aggressively incorrect about this situation as to antagonize another poster about it.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,498
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby columbia on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:34 am

I'm not even sure what the argument is, at this point.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,385
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:11 am

Froggy wrote:Despres is currently probably our 8th best D man. He's not in the lineup because he's not one of our 6 best d men, and he's not on our roster because we can send him down without exposing him to waivers.

None of this ceases to be true because of some 6 month old quote taken partially out of context from our coach.


I'm not sure why anyone would be so aggressively incorrect about this situation as to antagonize another poster about it.

I'd argue Despres > Engelland, but again, this is where waivers come into play.

I'm just shocked to see anyone giving up on the kid already, sheesh. He'll get his crack, or he'll bring us a decent return.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,147
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby Froggy on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:39 am

GSdrums87 wrote:
Froggy wrote:Despres is currently probably our 8th best D man. He's not in the lineup because he's not one of our 6 best d men, and he's not on our roster because we can send him down without exposing him to waivers.

None of this ceases to be true because of some 6 month old quote taken partially out of context from our coach.


I'm not sure why anyone would be so aggressively incorrect about this situation as to antagonize another poster about it.

I'd argue Despres > Engelland, but again, this is where waivers come into play.

I'm just shocked to see anyone giving up on the kid already, sheesh. He'll get his crack, or he'll bring us a decent return.


our top 6 are all clearly higher on the depth chart, then Bort is our #7, which is admittedly a grey area as they serve different roles. I'd argue that Bort is better at his role than despres is at his, but again, it's not clear cut. Yes, Despres is better than Engelland.

Just because he's not an NHL regular NOW doesn't mean he won't be, or that he's a bust. That's an important point to see, which I think we're all on board with.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,498
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby GSdrums87 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:17 am

Ah, stupid me forgot about Letang -____-
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,147
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby slipshod on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:23 pm

Defense usually takes the longest to learn / grow into at the NHL level. I'm not worried bout Despres taking a little more time to get up here. After being excited last year about Despres future, I think Maatta is a special player in a notch above Despres (who I still think will be a great player).

I just think Maatta has the goods to eventually be discussed as "Elite". (as in the top 5 of the D-men in the league elite)
slipshod
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:17 am

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby Beveridge on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:29 pm

RE: Bylsma saying he was a top 4 defenseman

That was before

1. Scuds was signed
2. Bort had maybe the best preseason of all defenseman
3. Maatta took the bull by the horns

If the suggestion Despres should get it because of what was said and not earning it, I have to scratch my head. At the time, yeah I agree he probably was a top 4.

If Bylsma had said Niskanen is a top 4 defenseman, and then was traded or playing bottom pair or benched, would we be up in arms? No

Despres is just a shiny new toy we haven't got to take out of the box yet. But he's 22, plenty of play time left.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,109
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby Beveridge on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:35 pm

Not the first time someone spoke out about prematurely on something and won't be the last. I also like how auto-correct is being hilariously ironic.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,109
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:27 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Wouldn't you say you are also one of those wannabe GMs, Mark Madd- I mean, Shaky Walton?

I forgot more about hockey since following this team from day one than you will ever know Trust me on this one

This is the defense people make for don cherry. Congrats.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,992
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby meow on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:30 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Wouldn't you say you are also one of those wannabe GMs, Mark Madd- I mean, Shaky Walton?

I forgot more about hockey since following this team from day one than you will ever know Trust me on this one

This is the defense people make for don cherry. Congrats.

I can't wait for Coach's Corner this week. Should be entertaining.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,848
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:32 pm

meow wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Wouldn't you say you are also one of those wannabe GMs, Mark Madd- I mean, Shaky Walton?

I forgot more about hockey since following this team from day one than you will ever know Trust me on this one

This is the defense people make for don cherry. Congrats.

I can't wait for Coach's Corner this week. Should be entertaining.


"John Scott plays the right way. That soft Euro Eriksson had it coming"
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,556
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby Beveridge on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:32 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
meow wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Wouldn't you say you are also one of those wannabe GMs, Mark Madd- I mean, Shaky Walton?

I forgot more about hockey since following this team from day one than you will ever know Trust me on this one

This is the defense people make for don cherry. Congrats.

I can't wait for Coach's Corner this week. Should be entertaining.


"John Scott plays the right way. That soft Euro Eriksson had it coming"


That about sums it up.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,109
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Beveridge wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:"John Scott plays the right way. That soft Euro Eriksson had it coming"


That about sums it up.


But Eriksson playa for the Broons. Will be fun to see Cherry's has explode due to the cognitive dissonance
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,556
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby meow on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:38 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Beveridge wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:"John Scott plays the right way. That soft Euro Eriksson had it coming"


That about sums it up.


But Eriksson playa for the Broons. Will be fun to see Cherry's has explode due to the cognitive dissonance

If it hasn't exploded all ready, it won't happen.
meow
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,848
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby mikey287 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:41 pm



I actually like Don Cherry, I tune into Coach's Corner every Saturday and I have for years. I don't necessarily agree with everything he says or maybe not even most of it, but still...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,630
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby columbia on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:43 pm

He's highly entertaining and I never miss that slot.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,385
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby Pitts on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:57 pm

I like his soots.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,357
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:22 am
Location: Working ....

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby Gaucho on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:28 pm

What Maatta accomplished is pretty incredible. To make the team out of Juniors, at age 19 (he just turned 19, iirc), on a deep team like the Pens... wow. All things considered, he'd have to be pretty special to pull it off.

That is all.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,543
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby pensfan1989 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:22 am

People are comparing Despres to Tangradi because both were thought to have large amounts of potential but struggled to get it together at the NHL level. That recent article about Despres having trouble focusing is a little bit similar to Tangradi's obsession with Twitter trivia, tshirts, and XBox.

Nobody is saying Despres is a bust, but if he doesn't pull it together, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pens dangle him as trade bait.
pensfan1989
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,159
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:51 pm
Location: Ponakronkoski

Re: #MaattaWatch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:50 am

Why are people talking about him pullin i together? Im sure all of tese people arent watching him in wbs. Is he playing poorly down there?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 50,992
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: No Reading, No Research, Just Strong Opinions

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

e-mail