Anyone else notice they're less into this season?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Anyone else notice they're less into this season?

Postby Rocco on Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:34 am

Slightly less into things, because ultimately nothing they do will matter until playoff time. There aren't any more regular season questions for this team to answer and we can't hit the "simulate until playoffs" button in real life.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JeffDFD on Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:59 am

I think it has to do with each individual person and what is going on in your life when it is this early in the season. I have had some stressful times recently so relaxing and watching the games has been great so I am enjoying that more than usual.

I think it also has to do with the pace/schedule compared to last year. Last year not only were the games more important, but they were so often. TWO DAYS OFF IN BETWEEN GAMES THIS YEAR?!! What the heck?
JeffDFD
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BigMcK on Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:18 am

Business travel means less TV time. Interest has not dropped - chances to watch have.

Pairing that with an Indian Summer and residual heat, it still does not seem like it is hockey season.

It's still too early to notice a trend.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:22 am

FreeCandy44 wrote:Personally i think weve all become extremely spoiled by success. Stanley cups aside....

At this point, seeing the pens be successful in the regular season and lock up a top 4 playoff spot in the east is an expectation, not a hope. In that light, it's not surprising that starting 7-1 isn't as thrilling as it once may have been.

What excites me with this team isn't as much wins and losses as it is the individual story lines within the team. Maatta's emergence has been huge for a lot of people, and certainly something to be excited about. Wondering what that does to the rest of the pens d men when letang comes back is also intriguing. Watching Sid produce points at near Mario level is exciting, all the while wondering when/if geno will hit his stride. He is injured now, but I want to watch Beau Bennett play and see if he develops to the point that do has to play him in the top 6. Meanwhile, I like seeing Jokinen be successful after being discarded by Carolina, forcing Bennett to really earn that top 6 spot of/when he gets there. Robert Bortuzzo is another guy to watch, emerging as a solid number 6 and a great compliment to Maatta on the third pair. I hope he soaks in Rob Scuderi over the next 4 years and continues to fill the niche as a stay at home safety blanket for our wealth of puck moving d men. Then of course there is Fleury. How many solid games must he play before you can trust him again? The answer is probably only 10, but 10 playoff games. Still, he seems to be benefiting from he new goaltender coach.

On a team level, the defensive systems J Martin brought with him might not be exciting to watch, per se, but it is exciting to see the pens add tools to the toolbox that they will need come playoff time.

TLDR version: The games within the game are more exciting to me than the wins and losses, and that is enough to keep me involved.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bwatt22 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:38 am

I'm watching more, but that's more a factor of moving to California where its usually a reasonable time to watch a game, unlike Hawaii. I love to watch and learn things to improve my own game, and the story lines are always intriguing.
bwatt22

Postby Gaucho on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:53 am

Nothing a few losses or ugly wins can't fix.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:00 am

IanMoran wrote:Not trying to be a Debbie downer, just curious if anyone else is noticing this? Pens have always been the team I followed the most, but idk what it is this season I find myself just not tuning into some games, not wasting my time on Internet looking up penguin related things, etc..

Maybe it's the fact the pirates were so exciting or that playoffs are a foregone conclusion for the pens... Idk

Anyone else experiencing the same?

This is the first hockey season since I've gotten a big boy job. Between the job and family stuff I don't have the time to watch games and really I don't exactly miss it. 82 games is a grind and really the only thing that matters is the playoffs.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:55 pm

JeffDFD wrote:I think it has to do with each individual person and what is going on in your life when it is this early in the season. I have had some stressful times recently so relaxing and watching the games has been great so I am enjoying that more than usual.

I think it also has to do with the pace/schedule compared to last year. Last year not only were the games more important, but they were so often. TWO DAYS OFF IN BETWEEN GAMES THIS YEAR?!! What the heck?

The pace is virtually identical this year. Because of the olympics
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:42 pm

I don't think people are spoiled by success. I more agree with a poster above who said something about seeing this before. Nothing saying this team can't win a cup, but since the cup you can argue all the exits except for 2011 were of the WTF variety. The past two more so. It's almost like everyone is expecting those defense breakdowns we still see from time to time.

I personally think it would be different if those playoff losses were 6 or 7 game wars that the Pens could have won but just couldn't quite get past someone. Other than this board, you can tell in other ways that it just isn't the same this year.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Durbano on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:48 pm

I looked forward to the start of this season less than other recent ones, but once that first puck dropped, I've been as into it as ever.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:07 am

Every summer I tell myself I'll be more fair-weather this upcoming seasons. It takes about the first period of Game One to realize I probably won't miss a miss a period.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rugbymuffin on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:20 am

Loving this season.

But, its October.

Baseball, Football, and (Pre) Season hockey.

When the push at the end of the season kicks action up another level it will be more interesting. Though, as I said, I am fully enjoying the season.
Rugbymuffin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby CERV96 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:49 am

DontToewsMeBro wrote:
FreeCandy44 wrote:Personally i think weve all become extremely spoiled by success. Stanley cups aside....

I think this is a big part of it. Hard to get up for games in November when you're looking toward June.

Look at the Cards fans out there in the divisional series vs the Pirates. games 1 & 2 were not even sell outs meanwhile over here for 3 & 4 games were packed and tickets changed hands over double the value. Detroit in hockey is the same way until you get to the 3rd & 4th rounds. So cold
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby count2infinity on Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:55 am

I tune in to pretty much every game, but it's not like last year where I was just so happy to have a hockey season that I was tuning in and watching every single second of every single game.
count2infinity
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penmyst on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Probably down to the expectations of this team.

They'll be in the playoffs, and likely a top seed barring complete disaster.

So the regular season games aren't all that compelling. The individual storylines can be, but not the overall games. It's OK. They'll probably win most of their games and not have to scrap tooth and nail to do it.

Enjoy it, as well as the free time it allows you.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:44 pm

This is how I am for the NFL not NHL this season
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby stopper40 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:57 pm

I started off not into it, but my interest has been rising with each game.
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Nope.

I'll never be jaded about watching Crosby play the game of hockey.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby canaan on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:39 pm

columbia wrote:Nope.

I'll never be jaded about watching Crosby play the game of hockey.

seconded
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:46 pm

Thirded, the only good sport amongst total crap, too emotionally invested.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby nocera on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:25 pm

I thought I was super into this season, until I missed the Vancouver game because I thought it was a 7pm start. Amateur hour.
nocera
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:33 pm

About as much as usual. I think it is football season that has suffered - Buccos went right into Penguins.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:34 pm

Fourthed. Or quadred. Or whatever.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby relantel on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:34 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:I'm actually more interested in the trajectory of Crosby's season than the W/Ls in the regular season. :pop:

there is a little truth in there, if only because qualifying for the playoffs doesn't really look to be in doubt.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:39 pm

The simple truth is that a 60 game season would be perfect for hockey. 48 made every game important (like the NFL) but you couldn't play cross-conference. 82 is pretty silly really.

That said, I love hockey. I have had to miss about 3 games so far due to other commitments but that is life with 3 growing kids. I have Center Ice and I DVR most of the games to watch them anyway.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins