Most Likely Trade Candidate?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Odd man out is:

Dustin Jeffrey
27%
Tanner Glass
1%
Jussi Jokinen
1%
Deryk Engelland
15%
Matt Niskanen
23%
Brooks Orpik
9%
Simon Despres
23%

Total votes : 150

Most Likely Trade Candidate?

Postby Luckybreak on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:48 am

So, with the likelyhood that Maata is staying and the impending return of Letang, Bennett and D'Agostini not to mention Vokoun or a Vokoun replacement, the cap and/or roster limitations will dictate the necessity for a trade at some point.

Prior to the season many wanted to ship Jokinen and Glass but both have stepped up and met or exceeded expectations. Jeffrey doesn't seem to fit well anywhere but is handy at times of injury. Niskanen is on fire - is his value greatest on this team or should Shero sell high? Orpik's play has declined but would Shero even entertain the idea of moving the longest serving Pen? Is Engelland better on another team or a valuable swing man/knuckle sandwich given the potentially low return and limited cap relief? Meanwhile Despres has clearly been passed by Maatta on the depth chart, is there truth to the fact he has also fallen out of favour?

You have 2 options, please pick 1 forward and 1 defenseman (and let me know if I missed any candidates!) :D
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Most Likely Trade Candidate?

Postby Beveridge on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:27 am

I vote Niskanen and Jeffrey.

Jeffrey because if Engelland is getting 4th line minutes over him, then at this point he isn't worth much more than a draft pick. Although he still is a RFA so control is nice.

Even though I'd rather see Engo shipped out, Niskanen has more trade value. However, he has great value to the Pens at the first sight of injury on the blueline (which there will be).

It will be interesting come Vokoun return time, if he returns, but I wouldn't be shocked to see no trades at all. Someone might get waived that would have to clear (D'Agostini).

I have no issue if Pens want to rotate Maatta, Bort, and Nisky as the 5/6/7 once Letang is back.

*Keep in mind too that Maatta could go back after 39 games and Vokoun wouldn't be back yet. Shero still has a while to figure this out.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Eismann on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:07 am

I said Jeffrey and Despres. I still don't get Engelland playing F, but ok. Despres is house money at this point.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Willie Kool on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:14 am

As a pure business decision, the correct answer should be Orpik / Jeffrey.
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:22 am

Willie Kool wrote:As a pure business decision, the correct answer should be Orpik / Jeffrey.

Totally disagree, but ok. I said Engelland and Despres
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens2005 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:26 am

Trading Despres does nothing. It has to be a roster player.

Someone from the top 6 has to be traded on defense.

If you trade Despres (who still should be traded because it's a huge waste having him down in the minors), that doesn't solve the problem of who to sit once Letang returns.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:28 am

At this point you add Despres to sweeten the deal significantly, but it has to be someone like Niskanen.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:30 am

If the premise of the question is who gets moved when Lateng and company come back from injury, why is Despres included since he isn't on the roster? He probably brings the highest return, but it has nothing to do with opening up roster spots. Therefore Jeffrey and Engelland are the obvious choices.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:31 am

I guess it matters what I'm being offered in return before I select who I am sending out. I'd trade Nisky if it got me a young NHL ready LW for Geno. I'd trade Despres for picks/prospects. I'd trade/waive Jeffery.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:38 am

Jeffrey has roughly the same amount of trade value as I do.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:47 am

shmenguin wrote:Jeffrey has roughly the same amount of trade value as I do.

They received something for Tangradi so I would expect they will find someone who will trade for Jeffrey.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:49 am

pens_CT wrote:

They received something for Tangradi so I would expect they will find someone who will trade for Jeffrey.

Jeffery to Winnipeg for Tangradi. :face:
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Factorial on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:59 am

Luckybreak wrote:So, with the likelyhood that Maata is staying

Did I miss something?
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Factorial on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:00 am

Even less.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:01 am

Factorial wrote:

Did I miss something?

Yes. See MaattaWatch.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Factorial on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:06 am

Gaucho wrote:
Factorial wrote:

Did I miss something?

Yes. See MaattaWatch.

Then it has to be Orpik or Nisky and given age, trade value, recent play, and contract status of the two it will be Orpik.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:27 am

"Most likely" trade candidates has more to do with ease of moving a player and getting a decent return. Therefor Jeffrey and Engelland are the most likely, as the bar for "fair value" is not very high. At all.

But what makes this team best? I'm not sold on Jokinen as a playoff solution (and who knows how that line will click with Neal on it). IMO the team's biggest needs are (1) a net front presence, a guy who can play in the top 9 at least, and bring a stronger game down low, and (2) a backup goalie. That's it.

If trading Niskanen can bring back that kind of young forward, then I say go for it. But it would have to be a team with the right player and the right need. So it's not very likely to happen.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:32 am

Jeffrey
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Take the Body Shoot the Puck on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:42 am

I think Jeffrey or Niskanen.

Niskanen has performed well this year and is nice to have for the 2nd PP and temporary top 4 duty, but with Letang coming back I think Niskanen offers us the best value in terms of possible return and cap relief. If we trade him and one of our top 4 goes down again, who do we use to fill in though?

As for Jeffrey, I was big on him a few years ago when he played well with both Crosby and Malkin out. Ever since his leg injury though I just haven't really seen anything from him to warrant keeping him here. It's sad, but thems be the breaks.
Take the Body Shoot the Puck
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:51 am

Willie Kool wrote:As a pure business decision, the correct answer should be Orpik / Jeffrey.

I would say most hockey sense as well. Fingers crossed that Orpik finishes the season in a different jersey.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:56 am

25+ minutes yesterday, they must be showcasing him pretty hard.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:59 am

It's really a tough question, since there are several different ways to look at it.

Should they trade/waive the more superfluous player(s)? If that's the case, you're looking at Jeffrey and Engelland.

Should they focus on cap considerations and trade the player(s) with the highest cap hit whom the team can live without? If that's the case, it's probably Niskanen (or Orpik, if you're one of those really down on his play).

Should they trade the player(s) most likely to bring a needed return (back-up goalie or top-9 forward...even though they've still won these last couple games, the bottom two lines are pretty rough with Neal and Bennett out) whom the team can live without? If that's the case, maybe Despres is the most likely candidate.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:08 am

I'm not certain they're ever going to "have" to trade anyone significant. We're already past the point we thought we'd be to be cap compliant, without having to make any moves. It wouldn't be at all surprising if injuries continue to solve the problem for them.

Immediately, I'd expect that some of the excess forwards get shipped back, particularly Conner and Z. It wouldn't surprise me if Jeffrey is waived if they need to make more room once Neal/D'Agostini are ready. I'm pretty sure that with Vokoun on LTIR, they stay cap compliant even with Neal and D'Agostini back, as long as they cut some of the small fat that I mentioned.

So they'd have a roster with 13 F (D'Agostini the extra), 7 D (Bortuzzo #7), plus Engelland as a swing man, and two goalies. I'd expect that's what they'll roll with. They won't have to make any other kind of move until Vokoun can come back, which isn't a guarantee. And by then it's possible someone else gets hurt and it becomes moot again.

The one guy I expect to be traded, and he's one that currently has no impact on the NHL team, is Despres. Maatta has already passed him up, which further pushes him out of the picture this season. Even next season the picture still figures to remain crowded, plus you'll have Pouliot going pro, along with Harrington and Dumoulin still around. Despres is the best trade bait they have and it may be a sell high while you can situation with him.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Henry Hank on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:13 am

But to answer the hypothetical, if they ever do have to make a move to clear up more significant cap space, it's likely either Jokinen or Niskanen that goes. I'd move Jokinen if it has to be one of those two. Jokinen is a nice guy to have around but he was pretty much a non-factor in the playoffs last year and in a healthy lineup possibly doesn't even crack the top six anyway. If they can continue to enjoy the luxury of Niskanen as a #5 D, they should do it. A bonus of having Maatta up is that maybe they'll have a third pairing this year that isn't one they completely avoid playing. Dropping Niskanen turns it back into a situation where they completely shield that pairing.

Either way, I wouldn't expect to get a lot back for either of them. Niskanen is doing well but he's a UFA after the season and he's not a top D on any team. His value probably tops out at third round pick, maybe second round if the market is weak. He probably helps the Pens more than getting a pick back for him would.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:56 am

I like Matt Niskanen, he has grown from the traveling partner from Dallas with Neal. Currently he is playing the best I've seen him; teams will want him. I'd hate to see him go. I'm a Brooks Orpik fan; 13 years strong. Every year talk about trading him... it doesn't happen.
the pens need a trade for a more legit option at back up goalie. GM Shero has options. 8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins