Most Likely Trade Candidate?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Odd man out is:

Dustin Jeffrey
27%
Tanner Glass
1%
Jussi Jokinen
1%
Deryk Engelland
15%
Matt Niskanen
23%
Brooks Orpik
9%
Simon Despres
23%

Total votes : 150

Re: Most Likely Trade Candidate?

Postby meow on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:23 am

Shaky Walton wrote:Orpik is older and will want something that the Pens can't give him.

You know Orpik? He said this to you?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:25 am

sjnhiils wrote:
Pitts wrote:
GSdrums87 wrote:How can anyone here advocate the trading of Martin and think the defense is going to get better?

How?

Idiocy?

That's funny. In the draft day thread you said "the hurrricanes were looking to move the fifth overall pick for a top four defenseman" Who did you suggest? Paul Martin!!!! I guess i'm not the only IDIOT!!!

Circumstances are everything...things were different then in roster make up, Martin's play and team chemistry - not to mention it was during the off-season, not mid-season. At this point, moving Martin may upset the defensive balance too much to consider it.

And the term "Idiocy" was stated more tongue in cheek than anything.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:28 am

Don't worry Pitts. That poster doesn't seem to understand the fact that opinions can change.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:32 am

Shaky Walton wrote:Orpik is older and will want something that the Pens can't give him. With depth on D, you cannot sign Orpik to a contract similar to what Scuderi got Too many guys waiting in the wings You have to get younger sometime Look what happens to the Steelers when they kept some of their guys too long Turnover is inevitable in sports

if the idea is to replace orpik with the younger guys, then you can re-sign him at 3 mill or whatever and move him into the bottom pair, while promoting the young guy who still makes 1 mill.

at least for a season or so...
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sjnhiils on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:36 am

MRandall25 wrote:Don't worry Pitts. That poster doesn't seem to understand the fact that opinions can change.

I fully understand my opinion of you will never change!!!
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:38 am

And I could care less, but that's neither here nor there.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:39 am

How does Despres get more votes than Niskanen?

Sorry if asked before.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:41 am

Gaucho wrote:How does Despres get more votes than Niskanen?

Sorry if asked before.

I attributed it to the fact that the OP was non-specific about when the trade would actually take place (just that it had to at some point)
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Shaky Walton on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Orpik will not accept a secondary role on the Penguins He could go somewhere else and play more This is not the only place to play hockey in this league When does a player not accept more and take less Use your head people not your heart Wow
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:05 pm

Shaky Walton wrote:Orpik will not accept a secondary role on the Penguins He could go somewhere else and play more This is not the only place to play hockey in this league When does a player not accept more and take less Use your head people not your heart Wow

Nathan Horton. Boom
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:08 pm

meow wrote:
Shaky Walton wrote:Orpik will not accept a secondary role on the Penguins He could go somewhere else and play more This is not the only place to play hockey in this league When does a player not accept more and take less Use your head people not your heart Wow

Nathan Horton. Boom

See also Pascal Dupuis and Chris Kunitz.

Dupuis could have easily made $5-$6 mil, especially given what guys like Clarkson and Clowe made.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:10 pm

Based on Ryane Clowe's salary, Pascal Dupuis could have made the league maximum.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:12 pm

This is true. Hockey players aren't money hungry robots. They look for soft landing places and comfortable settings. Whether is be family, weather, the city, friends/teammates, guys go somewhere (or stay somewhere) for a reason.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:14 pm

Pitts wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
Pitts wrote:I think Niskenen's days are definitely numbered now.

They shouldnt be. Letang has proven to be less than durable the last couple seasons. Niskanen is a nice affordable safety blanket.

I just don't see how they make it work with the numbers. Just too many defensemen.

Engellend doesnt provide anything that Bortuzzo cant. No need to keep both.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:27 pm

Orpik took several million less on his current deal to stay with the Pens. Do you not recall that? He also waited in the wings for 2 days until the Hossa issue was worked out -- waiting for the Pens. I'd say the guy is committed.
Last edited by Pitts on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:28 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Pitts wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

They shouldnt be. Letang has proven to be less than durable the last couple seasons. Niskanen is a nice affordable safety blanket.

I just don't see how they make it work with the numbers. Just too many defensemen.

Incorrect. Engellend provides way more turnovers to the other team from behind his own net than Bortuzzo does.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Pitts wrote:

Orpik took several million less on his current deal to stay with the Pens. Do you not recall that? He also waited in the wings for 2 days until the Hossa issue was worked out -- waiting for the Pens. I'd say the guy is committed.

Or... he wasn't getting any better offers elsewhere and was willing to wait for the highest deal, from the Pens. No one except Orpik and his agent know for sure.

I still say that moving Orpik is addition through subtraction, not even counting salary.
Jim
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:10 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Pitts wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I'd like to see the Engellend at wing experiment continue.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sjnhiils on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:33 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:How can anyone here advocate the trading of Martin and think the defense is going to get better?

How?

You were all for trading Letang in the summer . So how would have that made the defense better? You actually said that you thought that Martin could replace Letang as the number one defenseman and be a better QB on the power play. I'd rather have Letang and Liles right now as opposed to Martin and whatever you thought they could have got for Letang in a trade. No "exclamations" for you to laugh at on this post. The laugh is on you.
sjnhiils
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:34 pm

Jim wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Or... he wasn't getting any better offers elsewhere and was willing to wait for the highest deal, from the Pens. No one except Orpik and his agent know for sure.

I still say that moving Orpik is addition through subtraction, not even counting salary.

No, it has been written that he had offers from several teams, one that was significantly better than the Pen's offer.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:35 pm

sjnhiils wrote:

How?

You were all for trading Letang in the summer . So how would have that made the defense better? You actually said that you thought that Martin could replace Letang as the number one defenseman and be a better QB on the power play. I'd rather have Letang and Liles right now as opposed to Martin and whatever you thought they could have got for Letang in a trade. No "exclamations" for you to laugh at on this post. The laugh is on you.

Because in a cap-strapped team, and for what the need was at the time, Martin at $5 million > Letang at (seemingly $7.5 million+)? When it looked like Letang wasn't going to be signed, I was all for shipping out his last year to get in the top 3 in the draft to fill that ever-desired top 6 winger spot with a rookie, finally a long-term fix.

But, ya know, opinions...they change. At the time, coming off of an embarrassing sweep, Letang was a defensive liability. And Martin had shown he was handling the PP very well. Seemed like a good flip to me, and I most certainly was not the only one thinking like that!!!!!!!
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Beveridge on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:37 pm

I don't know anymore who the most likely trade candidate is.

I do know that this thread makes me glad most people here have as much say as I do with moves the Pens make.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Trade Fleury for a back up goalie.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:40 pm

One relevant example would be brooks orpik on his last contract.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:51 pm

GSdrums87 wrote:
sjnhiils wrote:

How?

Because in a cap-strapped team, and for what the need was at the time, Martin at $5 million > Letang at (seemingly $7.5 million+)? When it looked like Letang wasn't going to be signed, I was all for shipping out his last year to get in the top 3 in the draft to fill that ever-desired top 6 winger spot with a rookie, finally a long-term fix.

But, ya know, opinions...they change. At the time, coming off of an embarrassing sweep, Letang was a defensive liability. And Martin had shown he was handling the PP very well. Seemed like a good flip to me, and I most certainly was not the only one thinking like that!!!!!!!

I would just like to know how he remembers who said what and when on this board all the time! I can't even remember what I said yesterday!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins