Game 9 vs. Avs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 9 vs. Avs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:00 am

Pens lose 1-0

- Pens were not going to go 81-1-0. As HCDB said, sometimes you just have to tip your hat to a great goalie performance, Giguere had one last night.
- Momentum was elusive last night, the Pens had their hands on it, but couldn't grab hold.
- Pens dominated the game, and the moved the puck with ease. Sort of the opposite of the Vancouver game, where the Pens were outplayed and won
- Goal against was not MAF's fault, deflected off Pens Dman's stick
- MacKinnon was a non factor, almost invisible.
- Malkin appeared to me to pass up on a few slapshot opportunities. I'll be watching for this in the upcoming games, wonder if his shoulder is still a touch funky?
- Ex Pen Guenin was very impressive. I read Coach Roy's assessment of Guenin's play and lactually laughed, total bunk I thought. Now however , I eat crow, Guenin has vastly improved
- Bortuzzo impressed me in this game. His skating & willingness to do all the dirty work is a good fit. The Pens D is solid right now (Can you hear the trade winds blowing ~@~)
- Pee-air Quagmire was in fine form last night. "The Pens are playing dangerous hockey, giving Giguere all these shots, he's going to be hot!"..... What made it horrific was that he was right :scared:
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 9 vs. Avs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Beveridge on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:17 am

Not much to complain about in this game other than going 0 for 7 on PP.

One of those games every team has several times in a long season.
Beveridge
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:18 am

Beveridge wrote:Not much to complain about in this game other than going 0 for 7 on PP.

One of those games every team has several times in a long season.

Yep.

Just glanced over stats.... Paul Martin had 28:09 of ice time last night :shock:
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:32 am

I get that we were shut out by a hot goalie, but 0 for 7...... yeah they better keep practicing the power play.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:33 am

A hot goalie will do that to you. :(
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Froggy on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:34 am

FallenHero96 wrote:I get that we were shut out by a hot goalie, but 0 for 7...... yeah they better keep practicing the power play.

their power play pretty much did everything but score. they generated shots and scoring chances, and had just dominating zone time numbers. the 0 for 7 was an anomaly.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:38 am

Something like 77 attempted shots, right? Yeah, I'll take that effort every single night. 99 games out of 100 Gigure lets in one or more. Not last night.

Bortuzzo was fantastic. Maatta was just as solid, save one poor pass. Hope Orpik can find that 2nd gear, just looks sluggish on his skating and first pass to me.

Sid, Sid, Sid.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:56 am

Patrick Roy in the nets one final time… :P 8-) congrats to JS Guiguere. Having 2 Conn Symthe winning goalies will be a great resource for the young AVS. In the PG, Flower said the goal shot changed direction from Sutter’s stick. Flower made a key save late in the 3rd to keep it at 1 zip.

A hot goalie, a malfunctioning power play, and the inability to manufacture a goal; all too familiar to the penguins. Change or doomed to repeat.

I sat with 2 excited AVS fans :) Good to see the western teams.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:56 am

i noticed kunitz being either useless or downright bad quite a bit last night. He definitely had an off game.

this was probably the best 60 min effort they've put forth so far this year, and while a loss always sucks, i'm not going to get too broken up about it.

anyone who compares this to the boston series has no idea what they are talking about.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:04 am

i guess the one thing that you can take away from the game as a negative is the 2nd PP unit. some day, there may be a unit of jokinen, bennett and kunitz with niskanen and matta on the point. but until then...woof. what a lousy collection of forwards.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:21 am

My thoughts:
- Giguere was just playing lights out unconscious.
- The game was very exciting to watch.
- Pens dominated puck movement and had their chances - Giguere was just too much.
- It doesn't hurt as much to be beaten by a sterling performance. What hurts is watching the Pens beat themselves. They didn't do that last night.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shakes on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:51 am

That play with Malkin coming off the bench came sooo close. In fact he was so open, he overskated it. Meh, Giggy probably would have saved that one too. "Dangerous game" n'at.

I think that's the first regular season shutout with Sid and Malkin in the lineup since...10/23/10 - effing Halak.

Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:05 am

I agree with the 1st post. Weren't gonna be 81-1 and sometime you just gotta tip your cap.

Is it possible to decline a penalty? :face:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:10 am

Pens had one fewer PP shot on goal than the Avs had all game. Ugh
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 am

Froggy wrote:i noticed kunitz being either useless or downright bad quite a bit last night. He definitely had an off game.

this was probably the best 60 min effort they've put forth so far this year, and while a loss always sucks, i'm not going to get too broken up about it.

anyone who compares this to the boston series has no idea what they are talking about.

Kunitz had a couple grade A chances that he didnt' convert on. Crap on him for that for sure (same for everyone else though). I actually was impressed with Kunitz's wheels on a few occasions last night. Kunitz has shown that when he gets the puck while moving in the neutral zone, he's surprisingly shifty and often gains the zone with the dump/chip. I think its as much shock that its not Sid, Malkin or Letang carrying the puck in, but I've seen it in enough games now that its not a fluke, the guy can accelerate with the puck and remain .... shifty 8-)

Agreed, best 60 mins the Pens had. There were points in the evening when the Avs were running around like chickens in their own zone. Avs are good, will be great if all their prospects reach expected levels.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mbowman14 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:16 am

I thought Martin was uncharacteristically sloppy with the puck at the attacking blue line. Three turnovers that I remember including a weak floater that led to the breakout on Orpik and the lone goal of the evening .
mbowman14

Postby Froggy on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:17 am

it wasn't just the missed opportunities. that's not special, especially last night. I noticed him making dumb passes, frequently being out of position, being particularly useless on the pp, and that high sticking penalty he took was rough. I like kunitz, and i have never "crapped" on him. just calling a spade a spade.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:18 am

mbowman14 wrote:I thought Martin was uncharacteristically sloppy with the puck at the attacking blue line. Three turnovers that I remember including a weak floater that led to the breakout on Orpik and the lone goal of the evening .

i agree with this as well.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:24 am

Froggy wrote:
mbowman14 wrote:I thought Martin was uncharacteristically sloppy with the puck at the attacking blue line. Three turnovers that I remember including a weak floater that led to the breakout on Orpik and the lone goal of the evening .

i agree with this as well.

Martin might have played too much, 28:09???? That's a crazy amount (tons of PPlay time with Letang out).
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:26 am

Froggy wrote:it wasn't just the missed opportunities. that's not special, especially last night. I noticed him making dumb passes, frequently being out of position, being particularly useless on the pp, and that high sticking penalty he took was rough. I like kunitz, and i have never "crapped" on him. just calling a spade a spade.

Yeah, Kunitzcould have been, I just didn't notice it as closely as you did. Kunitz is now required to play the "Left Wing Lock" role and that's going to be interesting for him with Sid being all over the place (which is what we want).
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stevens25 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:27 am

How about the return of Chris Conner.
That name brings back memories to the 2010/2011 season where we seemed to half of the baby pens up on the NHL roster.
I can also never forget the smile/laugh on DiPietros face right before Brent Johnson broke his face.
Stevens25
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby relantel on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:39 am

not that it would have made a difference in the game... but was 2 the right call when Johnson boarded Conner or should it have been 5?
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby NashvilleCat on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:43 am

82 games. Most players go through hot streaks and cold streaks. Some nights things bounce your ways and some nights they don't. Now and then a goalie stands on his head or couldn't stop the Hindenburg with an RPG.

The worry should happen when certain things become a pattern. So far the pattern is 7-2 with a couple of close games against teams that seem to be playing well.

I like the way Fleury is playing. I love what Sid is doing. The young defensemen look good. Neal and Letang will make a big difference when they come back providing no one else gets injured in the interim.

We're on our way to another good regular season. I'm trying to save my meltdowns this year for the painful but seemingly inevitable playoff loss.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NashvilleCat on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:44 am

relantel wrote:not that it would have made a difference in the game... but was 2 the right call when Johnson boarded Conner or should it have been 5?

I don't think so. I thought he should have been given 5. Intent should count and he shouldn't get 2 just because he didn't kill the guy.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:51 am

I was hoping at some point they would have started really crashing the crease. Their insistence in making prefect passes Andy plays made it all too reminiscent of the Boston series. gotta get dirty goals when the goalie is seeing everything.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins