Game 9 vs. Avs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 9 vs. Avs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby penmyst on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:51 am

Pens looked really good. Avs goalie stole that one as the Pens just could not catch a break. Even though the PP went 0 for 7, it wasn't down to lack of opportunities.

That's the way it goes sometimes. Over the course of a long season, you'll have games like this one where you dominate from start to finish but come out on the wrong side. I like to think it balances out with the games where you don't play your best but end up taking points due to a few breaks your way.

Anyways, I liked what I saw out there except for the lack of scoring. Everyone played strong, even MAF in the few occasions where he was called upon as some of the shots he faced were good ones.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Factorial on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:45 am

When will people stop comparing the Pens current play to the "Boston series"? The constant reference to that series is worst than the loss of that series. Move on.
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:53 am

Factorial wrote:When will people stop comparing the Pens current play to the "Boston series"? The constant reference to that series is worst than the loss of that series. Move on.

Was last night the Jerry Meals game?
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the riddler on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:55 am

These types of games happen during a long 82 game season. But I don't think it should be passed off as if it's no big deal. There are playoff games like this, where the goalie looks unbeatable and a lot of shots are being blocked. The Penguins didn't do enough to get to the net and make it tough for Giguere. He saw a lot of shots he faced. I don't think the Avalanche wanted to take the penalties they did, but they played a really strong defensive game. Not a lot of second chances were given.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:59 am

Factorial wrote:When will people stop comparing the Pens current play to the "Boston series"? The constant reference to that series is worst than the loss of that series. Move on.

i'll be able to move on when i'm convinced that we have scoring depth and that sid can't be regularly neutralized in a tight series.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:12 pm

MACKINNON WINS THE BATTLE OF COLE HARBOR!!!

GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Staggy on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:27 pm

shmenguin wrote:

i'll be able to move on when i'm convinced that we have scoring depth and that sid can't be regularly neutralized in a tight series.

I don't know about this. Does Sid get shut down in tight series or is the series tight because Sid gets shut down? He's torched plenty of good defensive teams in the playoffs, including Ottawa last year.

And when Boston can shadow him with Bergeron and then collapse Chara on him too anytime he has the puck, he's going to need wingers that can create on their own sometimes and I'm not sure Dupuis or Kunitz can do that.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Perhaps Kunitz is not a good fit for the left wing lock... :pop:
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Staggy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I don't know about this. Does Sid get shut down in tight series or is the series tight because Sid gets shut down? He's torched plenty of good defensive teams in the playoffs, including Ottawa last year.

And when Boston can shadow him with Bergeron and then collapse Chara on him too anytime he has the puck, he's going to need wingers that can create on their own sometimes and I'm not sure Dupuis or Kunitz can do that.

You don't break those 3 up it's the law
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bh on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Sid was crazy good last night. He was all over the place.

Loved that trick play with Kunitz and Malkin. Sneaky.

I thought other than not finishing, Kunitz had a really solid game. That whole line just clicks.

A lot of hockey seems to come down to confidence. Last night GS had all the confidence in the world. He was in a zone where he saw everything perfectly.
Malkin is the opposite... He's doing good things but I don't see any confidence in his game. Almost like, he's expecting not to score when he takes a shot.

MAF had a really good game as well. It would be hard to get into a game like that seeing so little rubber.

Vitale looks a lot stronger to me this season. He's winning more puck battles along the boards and forechecking a lot better. He speed is fun to watch.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby relantel on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:02 pm

Just imagine this team with James Neal and Kris Letang back...
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:06 pm

SolidSnake wrote:I don't know about this. Does Sid get shut down in tight series or is the series tight because Sid gets shut down? He's torched plenty of good defensive teams in the playoffs, including Ottawa last year.

ottawa and boston last year and new york and detroit in '08 were the only strong defensive teams he's played against in his career. the entire team dismantled ottawa last year, so i'm not going to say sid persevered through a tough series there. new york in 08 was impressive, yes. but that was a long, long time ago. generally, he's played against average-to-bad defenses and has fared well.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:06 pm

The ice was beyond horrible.

No movement in front of the goalie on the PP and in general. Easy to save if Giguire sees everything.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:15 pm

It's hard to be too upset about the game last night. The Pens carried the play for large portions of time, and had many chances to score. The Avs goaltending just stole the game. It happens. No need to lose any sleep over it. Just need to regroup and get ready for the next game. Lets go Pens!
SubtropicalPenguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:22 pm

Staggy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

As Mike Babcock said recently (well, during the playoffs last year), the top two lines on good teams cancel each other out through effective defensive play. It's your bottom six that makes a difference in the playoffs.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Staggy on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:23 pm

shmenguin wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:I don't know about this. Does Sid get shut down in tight series or is the series tight because Sid gets shut down? He's torched plenty of good defensive teams in the playoffs, including Ottawa last year.

ottawa and boston last year and new york and detroit in '08 were the only strong defensive teams he's played against in his career. the entire team dismantled ottawa last year, so i'm not going to say sid persevered through a tough series there. new york in 08 was impressive, yes. but that was a long, long time ago. generally, he's played against average-to-bad defenses and has fared well.

So he's played four good defensive teams and performed well against 3 of them? That doesn't seem too dire. And in all 4 series he was coming off pretty serious injuries that he likely wasn't fully recovered from. He played terrible against Boston no doubt, I just don't think it is an overarching theme against good defenses in the playoffs.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Staggy wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

So he's played four good defensive teams and performed well against 3 of them? That doesn't seem too dire. And in all 4 series he was coming off pretty serious injuries that he likely wasn't fully recovered from. He played terrible against Boston no doubt, I just don't think it is an overarching theme against good defenses in the playoffs.

are we saying he was good against detroit in 08? mmmkkay...1 ES goal in 6 games.

i only included the good defensive teams, but let's expand a little. he was neutered against the 09 wings, in 2010 take a look at the first shift in game 7 against the habs, and in 2012 he totally lost his mind against philly.

this is not the best place to plant this idea, but over the last 3 playoff appearances, his stock ended up lower than where it started. i love watching sid play, but i don't really have faith in him as a playoff leader anymore.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Staggy on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Yeah, this really isn't the place for this so we can just agree to disagree. My main concerns with him is that Kunitz and Dupuis become relatively useless when Sid gets smothered in tight series. They usually just grind grind grind until Sid gets them the puck in open space, which is harder to do in the playoffs and why I'm a big proponent of putting Beau on his wing eventually.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Factorial on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:35 pm

Trade Sid now!
Factorial
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:43 pm

4th all time in playoff PPG. Just sayin.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:45 pm

2 Thoughts:

1. Entertaining Game.
2. I hate NBC broadcasts.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:59 pm

I was 100% certain the Pens would be undefeated at home. Now I don't believe in anything.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby scals37 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:39 pm

Giguere was certainly playing out of mind, but he gave up some juicy rebounds most of the night, he uses his big frame more than anything and we just didn't have anyone to jump on the puck... The pens need to get more net front presence in a game like that
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penmyst on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:57 pm

scals37 wrote:Giguere was certainly playing out of mind, but he gave up some juicy rebounds most of the night, he uses his big frame more than anything and we just didn't have anyone to jump on the puck... The pens need to get more net front presence in a game like that

Let's be fair to the other team out there. Colorado did a solid job mopping up any of those rebounds or tying up any Pens going for them.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:04 pm

That was the first game of the season that i really wanted to watch. Sadly i was unable.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins