Confidence

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Confidence

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Is anyone else surprisingly more confident in this team than they thought they'd prior to this season? Going into the season there were a lot of questions regarding Fleury and if he could bounce back and be the goaltender we need him to be. There were also a lot of questions about our bottom 6 and whether they had enough grit, or scoring, etc. Many people were questioning our D (because of the playoff performance at times), and whether we'd be just a two line team.

I can honestly say that because of the surprising play of many players, that I have much more confidence in our depth now, than I did entering the season.

I have to tip my hat to the following:

Tanner Glass - This is what I envisioned when we signed him, and we're seeing it now. League leader in hits, gritty, seems to be a step faster, and playing his role well.

Craig Adams - This was the one signing I was most upset about, feeling that his role might be better filled with a young guy. He's been playing extremely well, maybe even better than years past. Let's hope this carries through a full season.

MAF - Unbelievable. Maybe the mental training actually worked? Maybe it was the coaching change? If it was coaching, I'm pretty upset that they didn't make this move earlier. He does seem to stand up more this year, a lot more. Whatever it is, it's been amazing to watch his bounceback, and I'm gaining a lot of confidence back in him.

Crosby - The jaw injury is no longer in his head and he's attacking the net again and looking like that unreal dominant force that put up some crazy numbers prior to injuries. This is going to be fun to watch.

Matt Niskanen - The poster boy for trade is playing some great hockey and that's not easy to do when trade rumors are swirling entering the season.

Having Niskanen playing in our bottom pairing with his current play is a beautiful thing. The fact that he's being bumped down for the return of Letang is even more beautiful.

Adding a guy like D'Agostini, which will bump Harry Z/Conner/Glass from the bit of third line duties he had at times is also great. Glass has looked great, even on the third line, and he could barely look like a 4th liner last year! I'm liking our 4th line a lot more now.

Throw in Bennett and Neal and you can only shake your head. Because of the play of the aforementioned players, I suddenly love our depth, when I was questioning it entering the season.

Thoughts?
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Confidence

Postby pcm on Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:15 pm

No doubt... and nice post. A little early for the 10-game review (should probably wait until they play TOR), but whatever.

This team's depth on defense is amazing. Niskanen dropping to bottom pairing will be a little disappointing (and Bortuzzo dropping out of the top 6), but maybe the competition will inspire all around better play (could Niskanen supplant Orpik in the top 4?). This is what happens when young players get added to the mix.

Up front, I like our 4th line a lot better than expected. Our 3rd line is still meh. Hopefully Bennett coming back will help out; Sutter needs some help.

Of course, judging this team can't really happen until the playoffs. So with that in mind, I'm still a little concerned about:

1. Can Sid carry his line in the playoffs when Kunitz regularily disappears and the checking tightens up?
2. Jokinen is fine for regular season fill-in, but IMO the biggest reason Malkin has not been the dominant force he was 2 years ago is because of the weakness on his LW since losing Kunitz. Really need to find a solution here, preferably the kind of guy that can open up space down low for Malkin-Neal.
3. The powerplay lacks a net front presence. Unless Blysma plays Sid there, I think we need a little more offensive depth up front from guys willing to crash the net.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:17 pm

I'll be confident when they are still playing in June. Preferably LA Kings 2012 style, sweeping and steamrolling. :lol:
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:55 pm

I have had the utmost confidence in them in the regular season since 07-08, i lack confidence in them in the playoffs. Ill be cautiously optimistic in the second season this year as i have been for the last couple years.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penmyst on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I have had the utmost confidence in them in the regular season since 07-08, i lack confidence in them in the playoffs. Ill be cautiously optimistic in the second season this year as i have been for the last couple years.

^^
That.

The only concerns I had coming into this season was whether HCDB would get the hell out of the way of Bennett's development, and would Malkin continue on his Space Odyssey.

MAF never concerns me. Crosby's line never concerns me. Lots of D options, so I'm not concerned there. This team should cakewalk to a top seed.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shaky Walton on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:08 pm

W7o siad MAF nveer cnocren7 tehm? Wree u not wtachnig 7he pylafofs 7h3 lsat cuolpe of yares?
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Durbano on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:15 pm

No.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:58 pm

Durbano wrote:No.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)
murphydump55
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:42 am

I thought they would get off to a hot start. Their schedule to start the season was weak. Regular season and a healthy Crosby, this team should easily win the Metro division...

Test will be come playoff time...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins