Megna up from WBS

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Megna up from WBS

Postby Mr. Colby on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:05 am

True for our team... but he's also a guy who they seemingly won't carve out a niche for him. He's a very smart hockey player - not sure why they can't try to turn him into a defensive forward, let him master that, and then slowly let him up his offense (he's very skilled)

I kind of hope for his benefit he gets traded soon - I'd like to see what he does with a real chance somewhere

I mean, you got Chris Conner playing over him... the only thing conner brings over jeffrey is speed
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:13 am

Indirectly identified: differences between O6 hockey and the short shift era. Players that have skill and sense like Jeffrey are run to the ditch because they lack a "plug and play" specialty. Meanwhile, players like Chris Conner are inserted into the lineup. Players like Tyler Kennedy command 2nd round draft choices for their RFA rights. "Compete level", "speed", "mucker" - obvious to even a casual observer -> high demand, quick results, obvious impact, obvious utilization. Much easier to find a role for in this NHL.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:35 am

Jeffrey always struck me as Erik Christensen with less of an upside.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:27 am

Froggy wrote:Jeffrey always struck me as Erik Christensen with less of an upside.

That's a very apt description.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Dickie Dunn on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:49 am

Froggy wrote:Jeffrey always struck me as Erik Christensen with less of an upside.

And with less talent to begin with.

MRandall25 wrote:
Mr. Colby wrote:How did Jeffrey end up so deep in the doghouse? I thought he's been fine... unless he is injured and i'm unaware.

I think it's because he's always been a AAAA guy. He can fill in almost anywhere in a pinch, but can't really sustain it long-term. Too good for the AHL, but doesn't really have a specialized skill set to bring to an NHL roster. He's "good" at a lot of things, but not great at any of them.

Doesn't really have the skill set of a top 6 guy (but can fill in due to injury), and doesn't exactly play a grinding bottom 6 role (but can fill in if needed).

Not sure if that makes any sense, but that's how I perceive Jeffrey and his play

Players who are good at lots of things, or even one or two things, take regular shifts in the NHL. Dustin Jeffrey is not good at mostly everything. He sucks. This is inexplicably the sixth season (good God) the Penguins have given him the chance to prove he doesn't suck and he can't do it, because he does suck. He's an AHL level talent with AHL level speed, decent hockey sense and no grit.

The Penguins will be forced to use him for a stretch of games due to injure, he'll play a game or two with a horseshoe up his butt and score a goal, everyone will jump back on the Jeffrey bandwagon, the Penguins will bring him back from a 7th season, 6 games into the season the coaching staff will say to themselves "Why the hell did we re-sign this guy?", everyone on the board will wonder why he isn't playing, and the answer will remain the same: he sucks. All of this has happened before and will happen again.
Dickie Dunn
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:22 am

he could be an NHL regular on a bad team. that's pretty much his ceiling.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:47 am

Mr. Colby wrote:How did Jeffrey end up so deep in the doghouse? I thought he's been fine... unless he is injured and i'm unaware.

Personally, I don't think Jeffrey has done a damn thing this season to show he needs ice time. I often forget he even plays for the team -- and that is when he's actually playing! I never understand the defense of very replaceable hockey players.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck Drama on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:42 am

Sutterkervosky needs to show up. I hear the Pens think Jeffrey is the cats meow, explains all the scratches. Which is why they keep bringing up AHL tweeners to prevent giving Jeffrey a hat.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:58 pm

This was likely Jeffrey's last shot with the Penguins. I thought he was a decent player, who never developed the confidence to compete in the NHL. Skill-wise, I'd say he's right on par with Sutter. But he just never developed the confidence from having a specific role on the team. He probably will go the route of Christensen.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby stonewizard51 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:45 pm

pcm wrote:This was likely Jeffrey's last shot with the Penguins. I thought he was a decent player, who never developed the confidence to compete in the NHL. Skill-wise, I'd say he's right on par with Sutter. But he just never developed the confidence from having a specific role on the team. He probably will go the route of Christensen.

Sooner rather than later. We need a good backup goalie.
stonewizard51
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:58 pm

i didn't learn anything about megna last night. looks like it's going to be the same junk lineup tonight.

i've never seen malkin look less threatening than he is right now. if the purpose of kobasew being on his line is to not give up goals, then you might as well just swap malkin and dupuis. you'll end up with the same result, but this way you aren't marginalizing the (former) second best player in the league.

so do that or put him with an alleged skill guy in megna and send kobasew to play with sutter
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:08 pm

I wonder why Jeffrey keeps coming back here. He belongs on a team with less talent than the Pens. I'd want traded if I were him.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kaizer on Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:22 pm

shut up, meg.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby meecrofilm on Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Considering D'Agositini is playing I'd guess Megna goes back down. Though I'd prefer to see what he could do in at least one more game.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins