Maatta staying with the Pens!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Maatta staying with the Pens!

Postby tfrizz on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:48 am

MRandall25 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:I just hope he plays. If they keep him here and let him play 39 games, then it was a waste.

The 40 games is 40 on the roster, not played.

Correct. Regardless of whether he plays or not, if he's on the roster for 40+ games it'll count as his first year towards free agency.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:49 am

MRandall25 wrote:
mac5155 wrote:I just hope he plays. If they keep him here and let him play 39 games, then it was a waste.

The 40 games is 40 on the roster, not played.

Unless he falters big time, I do not think the 40 game mark is being considered here.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:56 am

Hawkeynut wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:
Hawkeynut wrote:Despres has become expendable today.

That's not even the slightest bit true.

You don't think Shero would pull the trigger on a deal if a surplus goalie of decent age were made available for Despres?

About the only doubt I would have is that you don't sell low on Despres right now.

Trading a 22 year old developing defenseman with a high ceiling.

For a backup goalie.

GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:57 am

Now I know why I don't post here.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:00 am

the contract thing isn't an issue. someone please outline a specific example of how we'll be in trouble by him starting early.

it's very possible this decision was influenced by his potential as a martin replacement. i'm happy with martin, but letang, orpik and scuderi are here for a few more years (yes - orpik). when martin's contract is up, it's time to replace him. otherwise, we're drafting a ton of defensemen and throwing them in a situation where top 4 isn't even a possibility. we need to find out if maatta can handle getting #4 minutes by then end of next year. this is the way to do it.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:02 am

Hawkeynut wrote:Now I know why I don't post here.

Simply put, Despres is one of the last defensemen on this roster you move, simply because it does nothing to either open a spot up or offer any cap relief. Him and his salary are in the minors. Any moves that result in a player on the big club is going to require someone off the roster in the big club.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shaky Walton on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:13 am

I say it puts Orpik in limbo He is getting older and will want probably what Scuderi got. That ain't gonna happen. Orpik and Scuderi will not be here together long term Too many younger D-men in the system that have to play sooner or later or you lose them. Orpik is the logical candidate to go, either now or now be re-signed next year. Orpik can be replaced
Shaky Walton
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:15 am

With strong showings from the kids at camp, I feel Orpik is the first gone in the offseason. Not out of desire, just out of necessity. I doubt he takes a pay cut.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:17 am

Orpik will play out the season. Then either go via UFA, or sign to stay here for below market value (which he did on his last deal). He will not be traded by the Pens.

EDIT: he MAY be traded by the Pens a few days before UFA so some team can negotiate with him. He will have numerous offers if he hits UFA status.
Last edited by Pitts on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:18 am

I dont think orpik is going anywhere afterthis contract. Maybe after the next one.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:19 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I dont think orpik is going anywhere afterthis contract. Maybe after the next one.

I agree with you and hope that is true.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:19 am

i think this team loves orpik. barring some contract dispute, i'll be shocked if he isn't back next year.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:20 am

Honestly, I think Martin would go before Orpik will.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pcm on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:22 am

I think it comes down to Orpik or Martin next year. I'd like to see more from Bortuzzo before parting ways with Orpik. But I think that Scuderi-Bortuzzo could be a shutdown pair reminiscent of Gill-Scuderi.

But on the other hand, I think Orpik has become a vital part of the fabric of this team. I'd love to see him retire a Pen. With Letang's salary, paying $5m for a #2 dman in Martin is a luxury we cannot really afford. Plus we've got a solid crop of two way dmen coming up who play a similar style.

It's a tough choice, but unless Orpik continues to be out of position, I think I'd keep him over Martin, mostly because he's cheaper. Which means we'd (almost certainly) have to trade Martin in order to re-sign Orpik.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:24 am

pcm wrote:I think it comes down to Orpik or Martin next year. I'd like to see more from Bortuzzo before parting ways with Orpik. But I think that Scuderi-Bortuzzo could be a shutdown pair reminiscent of Gill-Scuderi.

But on the other hand, I think Orpik has become a vital part of the fabric of this team. I'd love to see him retire a Pen. With Letang's salary, paying $5m for a #2 dman in Martin is a luxury we cannot really afford. Plus we've got a solid crop of two way dmen coming up who play a similar style.

It's a tough choice, but unless Orpik continues to be out of position, I think I'd keep him over Martin, mostly because he's cheaper. Which means we'd (almost certainly) have to trade Martin in order to re-sign Orpik.

Actually, with the way defensemen are getting paid in free agency, the $5 mil we're paying Martin is below value, for what he offers.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:26 am

I think the point being made is that letang is going to be making so much that value doesnt matter, dollar value does. Not sure if i agree, but value of the contract isnt really the issue.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joe icepick on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:43 am

I would trade Orpik, Martin or Niskanen for a grinder that can stand in front of the net and maybe put a few in. Or a dman with a good hard accurate shot.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby joe icepick on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:45 am

MRandall25 wrote:
pcm wrote:I think it comes down to Orpik or Martin next year. I'd like to see more from Bortuzzo before parting ways with Orpik. But I think that Scuderi-Bortuzzo could be a shutdown pair reminiscent of Gill-Scuderi.

Actually, with the way defensemen are getting paid in free agency, the $5 mil we're paying Martin is below value, for what he offers.

I can't figure how he pulled off a contract like that.
joe icepick
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:50 am

Idoit40fans wrote:I think the point being made is that letang is going to be making so much that value doesnt matter, dollar value does. Not sure if i agree, but value of the contract isnt really the issue.

But any #2 d-man who can play 26-30 consistent minutes a night is going to cost you more than Paul Martin, which was my point. He's not easily replaceable.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Rob Rossi was right.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:56 pm

I just thought I'd mention that I think Maata might have the best shot from the point out of all the Pens' current d-men. I know that's not saying much given the competition, and he is a bit slow getting his shot off sometimes, but as people have said in other threads, it has been a problem for the Pens not having a big shot at the point to make other teams come out and pressure instead of just collapsing around the goal. I think this is an underrated positive for Maata staying in the NHL.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GSdrums87 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:58 pm

Certainly could be a trigger man on either of the power plays. He might even get a shot on the first unit eventually.
GSdrums87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tico Rick on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:07 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:Rob Rossi was right.

:scared: :scared: :scared:
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby npv708 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Wrong move.

Also, I don't see any reason Nisky or Despres are as good as gone right now, simply for the fact that there isn't a gaping hole in the lineup other than bottom six or backup goalie, neither of which would be anywhere near decent value for.
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:12 pm

Why would be keeping Maatta the wrong move?
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins