Game 10 vs Islanders - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 10 vs Islanders - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:07 am

Pens lose 4-3

- Tough loss. Comeback defeats hold a special sting. PP failed the Pens (Jussi's goal right after Powerplay though). It could have been a serious thrashing... but no :roll:
- Lots to like about this game though

+ Engy looking good as a 4th line winger (loved that grin he had as the boys came to congratulate him, he's always so stoic!)
+ Zatkoff played decently, nice to see after such a crappy first game.
? Sutter had a potentially breakout game (Dupuis did it at some point, why not Sutter?).
± Letang looked good yet rusty at the same time
- Megna was around the puck, looked smooth with it (except that 3-2 offside play) Sorta want to see Megna tonight over D'Agostini
- Maata's worst game? After they made his head so big with all the praise.... makes sense, but now its out of the way
! Putting this game behind me, looking forward to the tilt tonight. Leafs play fast, rough (goon) hockey... It's Hockey night in Canada!!!!
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Game 10 vs Islanders - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Malkamaniac on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:17 am

Letang continued his tactic of waiting too long and then when he decides to shoot, it's right into the other team's legs. I blame him purely for that last goal as it created a stupid 2 v 1.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby the wicked child on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:24 am

The last 2 goals left a bad taste in my mouth. After Derek fricken Engelland answers a tying goal to put you back ahead, you'd think the team would step up and close the game out.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MarioLives on Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:47 am

We must have watched two different games. Letang was horrible, sutter was bad, Malkin was once again invisible and even Our young stud was not so good. Same old issues from the last 3 years. But it is just one game, so tonight could fix everything
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby llipgh2 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:06 am

Malkamaniac wrote:Letang continued his tactic of waiting too long and then when he decides to shoot, it's right into the other team's legs. I blame him purely for that last goal as it created a stupid 2 v 1.

Agreed. Letang was awful last night.

And frankly, I think Orpik has been terrible since game one. He really looks out of sorts.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Mr. Colby on Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:16 am

I think it's time for Orpik to go away. I'm getting sick and tired of the thing he does on the PK where the guy gets the puck in the dot and rather than attacking him or staying with his man on the back door, he goes halfway in between them and pretends he's a goalie. See the 1st goal.

Then Letang made matters worse after that boneheaded blocked shot when he inexplicably skated onto Scuderi's side and left a 2-0 in front. That kind of stuff needs to stop ASAP.
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:19 am

The Letang effect trickles down the lineup, especially on D - but even in terms of overall structure. I find it curious that getting their freelancing Dman back occurs in the most disorganized game of the year defensively.

The PP in the game before was 0 for 8 but had a ton of chances. Last night they were not really moving the puck.

Let's hope it's one game, but it's curious to me that these two things happen on Game 1 of Letang's season.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:34 am

Id say they couldnt have been much less disorganized than zatkoff's other start. I couldnt seethe game though because apparently rockville, md is in the french canadian national broadcast area and rds2 was airing penguins vs islanders.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:41 am

They were playing well in front of him until the Kobasew turnover. He looked somewhat decent, then it all went to crap with the turnover in our own zone. He didn't get any help on the game-winner, either.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby llipgh2 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:42 am

And I don't think Maatta has a swelled head. He and Niksy didn't seem to click. He plays better with Borts and (I can't believe I'm saying this) Engo.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sniper on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:27 pm

-Power play has to score. They get one goal and it's all over. Instead they let the Islanders hang around in a game they shouldn't have been in.
-They get in the zone and setup without any problem. They just aren't finishing the plays.
-Penguins need to learn how to win low scoring games. They score 4 or more they win. They score 3 or less and they lose more often than not.
-Zatkoff was much better. He played well enough to win.
-Letang messed up on the last goal. I didn't have a problem with his play otherwise.
-Sutter and Glass both had good games.
-Kobasew is really bad along the boards. Jokinen isn't much better. That's part of the reason Malkins line struggles.
-Every forward they've brought up isn't very good along the boards either.
-I'm not sure I agree with starting Zatkoff against a division opponent instead of a conference one. Win this game and they are 7 points up on the Islanders. Now they are only 3. I expect the Pens to win the division easily, but I thought this decision was a little odd.
sniper
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penmyst on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:35 pm

1. Critical, game-stealing save by Nabakov on the Crosby breakaway. That goes in and it's bedtime. Instead, NYI gets easy 2 points when they deserve 0.

2. Letang looked rusty, although he was in midseason form with shooting into defenders legs and getting caught out of defensive position.

3. Zatkoff played well. Deserved a better fate.

4. What was Kunitz doing on that goal against?

5. Pens were sloppy all over their defensive end. Unforced errors, bad positioning, and guys looking out of place and clueless. What happened?

6. PP is looking stale. Here is hoping if Letang shakes the rust off, they'll get a much needed threat from at the point/slot/LW area. Right now, it's only coming from Crosby or Malkin on the RW halfboards.

7. Not getting as much contribution from the 3rd/4th lines. I wasn't expecting them to keep up their great play, but were very invisible and ineffective at times yesterday.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pcm on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:49 pm

We'll see what D'Agostini brings tonight. Hopefully he can replace Kobasew on the 2nd line for the time being.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:21 pm

After 9 power play chances for nothing and it is about Brooks Orpik...crazy talk.
It was Scuderi and Letang who couldn't get the puck out of their zone for a goal.

If the pens cannot score on the power play unit, put Sid's line out there. One time I saw Blysma use : sutter, jussi, duper on a power ; they shot the puck and was around the net. A good thing.

Evgeni and Letang passing up shots and leaving the puck behind them. Don't like it. Letang , you never leave the puck for Rob Scuderi to shoot on net. If Letang refuses to shoot the puck; he is wasting God's talent given to him. He had as many shots as Brooks Orpik, with 3!!!

Evgeni, despite his linemates needs to produce more. He needs to dominate the power play and we all know it isn't happening in October. But hey, what does this game really mean in a long , long season.

Good news, Evgeni usually does well in TO!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Great58 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Islanders gaining two additional points makes Flyers' road to the playoffs that much more difficult. I'm ok with this.
Great58
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meow on Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Great58 wrote:Islanders gaining two additional points makes Flyers' road to the playoffs that much more difficult. I'm ok with this.

Silver lining. I like it
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:13 pm

I said to myself that the Penguins would have never gotten 9 powerplay chances if they had scored on the first or second powerplay. The refs would've stopped blowing the whistle. Some of those calls were iffy, imo....
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins